back to article Revealed: How a weather forecast in 1967 stopped nuclear war

For the first time, retired US Air Force officers have published an account of an incident on May 23, 1967 when a solar storm nearly fooled American high command into thinking that a Soviet nuclear attack was on the way. On that day, the US military nuclear command went into panic mode when signals from all three of the …

1. Sebastian A

These kinds of stories make me wonder if we're not in the "great filter" stage of civilisation now. Where all other civilisations in the past have managed to wipe themselves out. We have the capabilities, certainly.

1. a_yank_lurker

@ Sebastian A - Makes one wonder because this is not the only well documented case of a mid level officer saying hang there this IS NOT the big one or even a little one.

1. Brian Miller

Right, there's the case of the USSR officer who stopped a near-launch, the nuke that dropped from a bomber and didn't go off because of a 50-cent switch holding everything back, several cases of "oops" with nuclear reactors, etc.

Of course, if we did have an "oops" moment, if nukes launched we'd have over 90% mortality in one year. The electrical grid would go down, and then it wouldn't be rebuild for a very, very long time. Probably long enough that nations could rise and fall.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Even if it was 90% mortality (which I doubt) the human race would survive. While it would take decades, perhaps even a century, humanity would be back on our feet. And hopefully wiser.

Though honestly I think we're past the stage where a large scale nuclear exchange is possible. I think it is better than 50/50 odds nuclear weapons will be used in anger in the next fifty years, but it would be a very limited exchange. We didn't do any permanent damage to the Earth with our above ground testing in the 40s/50s/60s, so a limited exchange isn't enough to cause a major disruption to our civilization. Just end the lives of whoever is on the wrong end of that - likely the Middle East or SE Asia.

I'd be more worried about something we might invent in the future, whether it be AI or some new power source that can be turned into or sabotaged into a weapon that makes a nuke look like a firecracker.

1. oldcoder

That depends on your definition of "limited".

There was a lot of damage caused by above ground testing (designed to minimize damage and investigate the damage there was). And this would NOT be testing - but deliberately placed detonations; designed specifically to kill people. Also even one detonation would be several times larger than the tests.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

One detonation several times larger than the tests?

Hardly. The Tsar Bomba alone (50 megaton) would absolutely dwarf the combined total of any nuclear exchange short of all out war between the US and Russia!

In a limited exchange, no one is going to be using hydrogen bombs with multi megaton yields. First of all, because the countries involved would be unlikely to have the technology to design a hydrogen bomb, but also because the technology to deliver your bomb accurately is far better than it was in the 50s when we were in this crazy race to see who could build the bigger bomb. No one has giant bombs like that in their inventory any more, because they aren't practical - or necessary since MIRVs were invented. It was more of a PR pissing match that fortunately was overtaken by the Space Race.

2. John Mangan

Not so sure . .

"While it would take decades, perhaps even a century, humanity would be back on our feet."

I think it would take a LOT longer than that. Massive loss of infrastructure and know-how. Much information only available in irretrievable electronic formats (EMP, no power infrastructure, spares, transport, etc.) and all the easily accessible fossil fuels well and truly mined out with none of the knowledge, experience and industrial infrastructure required to access the rest. I think it would be a long, hard, millennial climb back from a new bronze or iron age.

And wiser? Humanity (en masse) has shown little ability to learn from much more recent lessons in where violence leads.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Not so sure . .

I don't think it would take so long. If you look at how long it took China to go from a backwards third world country to where it is today, it would be similar to that, or a bit quicker. The difference now is that we have all the knowledge and inventions needed to have the infrastructure we have today.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I'm not so sure it would take longer than that.

We wouldn't be starting from scratch, all knowledge wouldn't be lost and it wouldn't be that much different from progressing from the Victorian Era level of technology to mid 20th Century technology.

Additionally, much tech would survive and would be retrievable. Once you get a basic power grid up and running (even if local), you can then start to access electronic equipment.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
                Facepalm

Well, good luck sourcing replacement RAM from Korea or getting Microsoft support on the phone to "start to access electronic equipment".

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Even if it was 90% mortality (which I doubt) the human race would survive. While it would take decades, perhaps even a century, humanity would be back on our feet.

It is hard to say. It will likely be the more advanced societies, those who have lost the skills and knowledge of their ancestors, have become reliant on others and technology providing for them, who will have the greatest survival problems and will perhaps succumb within months.

There will be some survivalists and a fortunate few who struggle through while those who don't see much change post-Armageddon will carry on much as before. It really comes down to whether the devastation is so bad that even those used to living off dirt cannot survive.

4. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

@ doug

depends what "back on your feet", means if you mean 'stopped starving to death and fully expecting to be stabbed for your half eaten carrot' then yes maybe 100 years we'll be back to the middle ages with farms and such. Anything "Digital" would be centuries plural i think.

Archaeology would be a booming industry though :)

5. mstreet
            Mushroom

Even if it was 90% mortality (which I doubt) the human race would survive...

I heard some organization in the US (FEMA?) once did a study of the results of an EMP strong enough to knock out all the infrastructure in North America. Their conclusion was apparently 80% mortality after the first year. That's WITHOUT ANY nukes going off.

If you think those numbers are an exaggeration, you should do a little research on how much food the average city uses in a single day, and consider what would happen when that entire flow disappears.

No electrical systems working = no farm equipment working, and no way of transporting food, even if there was any. Good luck living through a NA winter without emergency power generators. Rural regions (who are used to roughing it) may not do so badly, until waves of starving urbanites show up and start taking supplies from them. I think the mortality rate in most cities would be far greater than 90% after a few years. Throw in wide-spread cannibalism and disease, and it isn't a world most would want to live in.

The fact most 'advanced' cultures have a population with zero survival skills, and little of the 'primitive' know how our ancestors once had, only adds to the mess.

90% is probably a pipe dream.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Even if it was 90% mortality (which I doubt) the human race would survive...

How are the "waves of starving urbanites" going to get to the rural areas? Walk? They'll be pretty easy to pick off as the rural residents are the ones with the rifles, if the urbanites have guns they'll be handguns only useful far closer than the kill range of a rifle.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Even if it was 90% mortality (which I doubt) the human race would survive...

> How are the "waves of starving urbanites" going to get to the rural areas? Walk?

Probably - and it's unlikely that there are enough bullets to stop them (bearing in mind that when you run out of bullets, the surviveors are going to rip you limb-from-limb, so you'd better ensure you have enough before you start shotting)

FEMA and the US environment agency have "urban evacuation" high on their list of worst possible environmental disasters.The only reason we can survive in the kinds of numbers we do is because of heavy population concentrations.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I heard some organization in the US (FEMA?) once did a study of the results of an EMP strong enough to knock out all the infrastructure in North America. Their conclusion was apparently 80% mortality after the first year. That's WITHOUT ANY nukes going off."

Yes it was FEMA, in the late 1990s. They documented how fragile the US electrical distribution system was and how long it would take to replace the core transformers at risk (several million dollars apiece, 2-3 year construction time, no spares).

The european grid was much more robust - primarily because of much shorter transmission line runs.

This report was in response to the large solar flare which hit earth in 1989 (it knocked out parts of the Canadian power grid) and made people start wondering seriously what effects a Carrington-level solar flare would have (up to that point people were ridiculed as doomsayers, and that's despite a large 1950s event having quite an impact. The difference was in the intervening 40 years electricity had become utterly critical infrastructure).

The USA (and most other countries) have been taking steps to minimise the effects and damage ever since. The biggest problem is induced large DC offsets in transmission lines causing transformers to saturate and overheat but appropriate rejigging of the way things are connected can avoid that happening.

Because the grids are so heavily interconnected an overload failure in one part of the country can rapidly escalate into cascade failures everywhere. It's possible to design more robustness in, but that costs money and accountants won't approve it until they're personally affected.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

> Even if it was 90% mortality (which I doubt) the human race would survive.

You're right to doubt. Whilst the multi-megaton bombs scared the shit out of people during the Cold War the reality was that by the mid 1960s targetting accuracy was good enough that only 50-150kt weapons were being used for strategic weapons (only slightly smaller on tactical nukes)

There's almost nothing left now over 100kt (most of the H-bombs can be dialled from 5-150kt, but the standard setting is around 50kt or less and antisubmarine ones can be dialled as low as 0.3kt). In any case nuclear weapons are an expensive boondoggle that noone can actually use. War simulations verified that to the point where it was reported in 1979 that US military commanders who used nuclear weapons in battlefield simulations only ever did so once. In all subsequent simulation runs they'd surrender rather than nuke even if the _other_ guy was tossing nukes.

The best use for nukes now is to expand the swords-to-plowshears program.

2. PhillW
          Coat

But, the question everyone want answering

would be..... could you still play Pokemon Go?

1. DropBear
            Mushroom

Re: But, the question everyone want answering

"would be..... could you still play Pokemon Go?"

I feel dirty joking about this, but... well, what you need to play aside your smartphone is the cloud, no? Well, availability of clouds on a such event would be guaranteed --->

3. Primus Secundus Tertius

@B Miller

I was asked, in an interview for a Civil Service job, what would happen if Britain suffered a nuclear attack. I replied that the economy would be destroyed but people would survive: and that had been the case in Germany in 1945 after the thousand-bomber raids that dropped enough TNT to match a fission bomb.

1. John Mangan

But . .

Germany still had access to industrial products (and support) from less damaged nations to rebuild. That would not be the case in this scenario.

That's without even worrying about irradiated food, land, water, etc.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"the economy would be destroyed but people would survive"

So we'd be fine as long as the invading aliens have some sort of Marshall Plan to keep us fed for the several years until we've rebuilt enough of the economy to feed ourselves, and also to police the world against the inevitable nut-jobs who would reckon there was still something worth fighting for.

Edit: and those 1000-plane raids ... they were equivalent to *one*, *small*, nuke. There's a reason why the Japanese surrendered so fast. (They didn't know the US had run out of bombs.)

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

> There's a reason why the Japanese surrendered so fast. (They didn't know the US had run out of bombs.)

Untrue.

They were already contemplating surrender and the amount of damage the US had already inflicted on Japan(*) meant that news of the scale of the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombs didn't arrive for several days. As far as the japanese hierarchy was concerned it was just another massive US air attack

(*) Most large cities had already been bombed flat and the death toll from one night raid on Tokyo was higher than either of the nuclear bombs.

The bombs did provide enough impetus to push the remaining hawks in the japanese military to one side and surrender quickly, but they may have surrendered in a few months anyway.

The USA didn't know that at the time. Fog of war and all that...

2. DanceMan

Re: There's a reason why the Japanese surrendered so fast.

It was the Emperor deciding to quit that tipped the balance. Even after that some of the militarists wanted a coup to keep going.

I watch NHK World a bit. They're still going on about Hiroshima currently. Not a word about Nanking.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

@ PST

> I was asked, in an interview for a Civil Service job, what would happen if Britain suffered a nuclear attack.

Surely the correct answer was: those carefully selected Civil Servants who had been allocated places in Government shelters would emerge to repopulate the UK with handsome, muscular, hard-working decisive leaders, ready to take us into a glorious future.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Radioactive Mutant Civil Servants That Glow In The Dark Take Over!" - film at 11

4. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"90% mortality in one year"

Probably not in one year, but if you take away all the industrial infrastructure that keeps us going then I have to wonder what level of population is sustainable afterwards.

For most of history, world population has been stable. In particular, there's a stonking great flatline from the peak of the Roman Empire across to the Renaissance where technology didn't (much) improve and so the Malthusian limit remained stubbornly put. Going back even to early 19th century levels of *available* technology would take away a lot of our ability to grow, let alone distribute, food to an over-sized population.

On the other hand, we *have* the know-how, at least for a few decades, and that might be enough to bootstrap things. We don't have to repeat all the mistakes of history. (For example, we can get the frigging plumbing sorted without having to spend several generations puzzled about all the cholera outbreaks.)

It's an interesting puzzle, as long as it remains a what-if.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: "90% mortality

> if nukes launched we'd have over 90% mortality in one year. The electrical grid would go down, and then it wouldn't be rebuild for a very, very long time.

At least we'd only need to rebuild it to 10% of today's capacity!

But seriously, for some grim, depressing viewing - though accurate - try 'Threads (1984)': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads

In its depiction of a nuclear winter, it makes post-apocalyptic films look like a walk in the park.

1. noddybollock

Re: Threads film (1984)

Haha I remember being made to watch that at School - really was a scary message at the time, maybe that's why me and my peers at the time didn't give a sh*t about anything much (especially living just a few miles away from the UK's biggest MOD depot!),

we had nothing to look forward to what with Thatchers Britain at the time and horrendous unemployment,

how ever I did leave school unemployed (like my bro and sis before me) and did a Yoouf training scheme in computer programming.

2. Captain DaFt

Re: "90% mortality in one year"

"It's an interesting puzzle, as long as it remains a what-if."

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were nuked to rubble.

Today, aside from the monuments, you'd never know it happened if you visit them.

A real world scenario, hardly a 'what-if'.

Despite their general idiocy, Humans as a whole can be tenacious and inventively industrious when push comes to shove.*

*See also; London after the Blitz.

2. Mark 85

It's very possible, especially if one believes the reports that a certain Presidential candidate argued with security advisors about "why can't we nuke them?".

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

> a certain Presidential candidate argued with security advisors about "why can't we nuke them?"

It gets worse than that! During the Cuban Missile Crisis, USAF General Curtis LeMay was all "Nuke 'em! Nuke 'em NOW!" and John Kennedy had to just about beat him with a baseball bat to get him to settle down. I've seen the documentary film of the cabinet discussions where LeMay says "let's nuke 'em" about 6 times in one 30 minute meeting.

1. Dave Bell

I remember seeing RAF-operated ballistic missiles on their launch pads, ready to fire. I didn't really know what they carried. then.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Lt.Kije

Makes you wonder how things went in Russia that day.

3. Anonymous Coward
    1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why so coy?

Yorkshire? It's all daaarn saaaarf from where I'm sitting. :-P

2. Richard 45

Menwith Hill is communications interception for the NSA - it's not an BMEWS location. That's RAF Fylingdales on the North York Moors.

3. Omgwtfbbqtime

Staxton Wold/ Fylingdales?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Why so coy

I think maybe this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Fylingdales

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong lesson, I am afraid

"Had it not been for the fact that we had invested very early on in solar and geomagnetic storm observations and forecasting, the impact [of the storm] likely would have been much greater," Knipp said. "This was a lesson learned in how important it is to be prepared."

I think the more pertinent lesson is that keeping your hand on the trigger at all times, ready to smite the wicked enemy, is likely to be more dangerous to you than any threat posed by the said enemy. The operation Chrome Dome mentioned in the article is itself a good example of this observation. See "Command and Control" by Eric Schlosser for more information both on the Chrome Dome and on many other crazy schemes which nearly ended up killing everybody during those good old, unlamented days.

I am also afraid that this is the lesson never properly learned, so it will come back to us again.

Edit: Oops, had the Iron Dome instead of the Chrome Dome there. My bad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wrong lesson, I am afraid

I disagree. The more capable a retaliatory strike would be, the less likely the retaliation would be made early.

Trident, for example, could carry on waiting for months after US/UK is sunk into the sea. There's no need to be trigger happy with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Trident, for example, could carry on waiting for months after US/UK is sunk into the sea. There's no need to be trigger happy with it.

But with your entire second (or first, for that matter) strike capability staked on a single vulnerable vessel at sea which depends entirely on stealth for its protection, you would have to be pretty damn sure the enemy is not tracking it, and is absolutely incapable of locating it no matter how hard it tries.

Please do not deceive yourself: in the game of the nuclear chicken, there can be no winners; the only survival strategy is not to play.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Of course. But in theory at least, Trident is invulnerable, therefore *less* likely to produce a mistaken second-strike than, for example, the V-force, which required the airbases still be in tact to launch.

Nuclear chicken it may be, but I'd rather play chicken with two equal sized vehicles than be a pedestrian playing against a tank.

1. My-Handle

Meh, I think I'd prefer to play pedestrian against tank. The only outcomes are stalemate, or the pedestrian loses. Because the tank can never lose, it never has to even bother turning the engine on. The pedestrian can run as fast or as slow as they like, but they won't win. As long as the tank knows this, the worst damage that can be done is by one pillock to his own head as he tries to nut stationary steel plating.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I think this metaphor is getting silly now.

If an adversary has nuclear weapons, and we don't, then we do what they say or else ( eg: get your troops out of Poland, we'd like to take it back, blagodaryu )

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

not necessarily. For one thing, so long as you have missiles that can reach possible enemy territory, even multiple warhead conventional explosives would be no fun for them to be on the receiving end of ( For another, space is replacing the atmosphere as the new military frontier (or, rather, could, as space is supposed to be demilitarised). If you have the capability to get a decent amount of hardware into space, you don;t even need nukes, large chunks of metal or, at a pinch, even rocks de-orbited onto enemy towns could produce devastation.

With which happy thought in mind, I note that at least one commercial enterprise and the Chinese are focusing on getting set up on the moon in the not too distant future. Hmmmmnn..

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@My-Handle: In this scenario are you the pillock, or the tank?

2. Vic

the V-force, which required the airbases still be in tact to launch.

The V-force might have required some airbases to be functional, but it was pretty resilient in terms of which ones.

If you look at the undercarriage on a Vulcan, for example, you will see a rather large number of wheels. A more conventional design would have been lighter, leading to a better aircraft - but doing it the way they did meant that it could land on a wider variety of surfaces, so the destruction of the home base would not necessarily put the aircraft out of commission.

Vic.

2. joejack

"the only survival strategy is not to play"

Hello Joshua.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"These BMEWS stations were positioned over the most likely routes for Soviet ICBMs to come visiting the Land of the Free, and some thought the USSR had worked out a jamming technology that would blind the US ahead of an attack."

"Over"?

But I digress. AFAIK, at that time the availiable jamming technology would have been an EMP caused by setting off a nuclear bomb in the upper atmosphere (or a bit higher)*, and I guess someone would have noted that.

Anyway - with each gem like this released from the archives, "Dr Strangelove"** edges yet another step away from "totally over the top romp, never could have happened" towards "mild satire, not that far away from the real thing".

* Interesting documentary on that: "The Rainbow Bombs" (aka "Nukes In Space"), can be found online by now.

** If you watch the other big film of the age about the subject, "Fail Safe", in comparison you'll see that Kubrick was absolutely right in treating it as a comedy.

1. Stork Silver badge

Dr. Stangelove

Watched it last year with my teenage son. Wonderful way of explaining the tension of the cold war; I am from Denmark which was _very_ close to GDR and he is growing up much later, and in Portugal where the cold war mentally was Someone Else's Problem and far away in any case

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: Dr. Stangelove

I found the film "Failsafe" a bit more chilling

1. andy gibson

"By Dawn's Early Light", a 1991 TV movie of the 1983 novel Trinity's Child, by William Prochnau is also worth a watch.

Thumb Up

"By Dawn's Early Light"

Fuck yeah, it had a guy with a totally McCain vibe in it.

I also fell in love with bomber girl...

And of course "The Day After" classic can be found on YouTube. 80's quality! Nuclear test stock footage! Could El Reg grab a picture from there instead of that weird stuff I see here which seems to have quickly shopped by a hippie on a trip?

2. Pedigree-Pete
      Happy

Bemused much?

Am I the only one who finds the irony of BMEWS slightly amusing? PP

3. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Happy

...toe to toe with the Rooskies...

Well, if there's nothing you can do about it, may as well laugh about it.

"...and remember that the last laugh is on you..."

-- Monty Python

7. Faux Science Slayer

"Atomic Cannon Devastation" on YouTube !

The '15 kiloton Little Boy' dropped on Hiroshima was ten feet long and weighed 9700 pounds. By the early fifties the US had 15 kiloton, 16" artillery shells on all Iowa class battleships. By 1963 the US had 155 MM nuke artillery shells, see "Nuclear Education" series of articles at Veterans Today on nuke miniaturization, and recent use by our ruling Demonic Warlords.

For info on EMP, see Wiki/Operation_Starfish

1. kmac499

Re: "Atomic Cannon Devastation" on YouTube !

Smallest Device I could find details of, was the US "Special Atomic Demolition Munition (SADM)" Basically a tiny nuke in a rucksack. The plan was for a couple of paratroopers to land with the thing; hide it under the bridge, power station, Docks whatever, set the clock and leg it.

Interestingly the Wikipedia entry says it was never used in combat.. Duh!!

2. DropBear

Re: "Atomic Cannon Devastation" on YouTube !

In a morbid sort of way I find it remarkable that not only did they get nukes small enough to fit into a shell, but ones able to survive the horrible shock of being fired from a gun without going off immediately - seeing as how that's exactly how the original one worked, firing its fuel into a matching target internally...

8. PassiveSmoking
    Coat

I guess you could say that the solar storm of '67 really had the top brass... BMEWS-ed!

.... sorry. Mine's the one with radioactive lumps of glass in the pocket.

9. Ol'Peculier
    Mushroom

Fylingdales

Right, that's the topic of conversation next time I talk to my Dad, who was one of the first people to start working there, even before they got the domes up.

RCA, before they morphed into Serco, were very good to their staff and families, trips to the panto each Christmas for instance.

--->> icon because I once watched a simulated nuclear attack on the UK in the main control room on a family day there. If you live in King's Lynn, start panicking, you're first...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Fylingdales

"Right, that's the topic of conversation next time I talk to my Dad, who was one of the first people to start working there, even before they got the domes up."

I wonder if he might my dad? He was one of the guys wiring up the radars inside the domes to the control systems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

@ John Brown

> I wonder if he might [missing word] my dad? He was one of the guys wiring up the radars inside the domes to the control systems.

Know? Be?

1. Ol'Peculier

I hope it's not the second one...

Anyway, quite possibly. Especially from the early days. Memories of those grey Plaxton buses they used to ferry staff too and from work, and the Christmas parties & panto's are coming to mind

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Know? Be?"

LOL, yes, Posting late at night when the fingers can't keep up with the brain is a bad move.

The missing bit was "have met".

10. FuzzyWuzzys
    Boffin

This icon over 'ere....

( Do NOT ride the bomb! )

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: This icon over 'ere....

In this day and age, Major Kong would use a selfie stick to record his bomb-riding hijinks.

""Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: One forty-five caliber automatic, Two boxes of ammunition, Four days' concentrated emergency rations, One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills, One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible, One hundred dollars in rubles, One hundred dollars in gold, Nine packs of chewing gum, One issue of prophylactics, Three lipsticks, Three pair of nylon stockings....Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.""

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: This icon over 'ere....

Fim Trivia TimeTMagain!

Originally, it was "Dallas". Prior the release it was changed to "Vegas", Slim Pickens dubbing over himself. The release was not that long after Kennedy was assasinated in Dallas, and MGM was a bit worried.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank God ..

.. the US didn't have any people ready to sex up the observations and suppress disagreeable observations..

It will eventually happen if we continue to elect war mongering idiots.

Anyone willing to elect Trump should be made aware that the nuclear button doesn't have an undo function. Not that I'm a great fan of Hillary either, but given the extremely limited choice I'd say that's probably a less problematic choice than the loudmouth with the weird hair.

1. Chris G

Re: Thank God ..

No, I think Hilarious Cliton is just as likely to start world war three as the Chump is. The difference being, she would do it for personal gain or a profit for her chums.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The difference being, she would do it for personal gain or a profit for her chums."

And she's a career politician! God only knows why a businessman would do it.

Meanwhile ... KILL RUSSIANS!

Mike Morell’s Kill-Russians Advice

Perhaps former CIA acting director Michael Morell’s shamefully provocative rhetoric toward Russia and Iran will prove too unhinged even for Hillary Clinton. It appears equally likely that it will succeed in earning him a senior job in a possible Clinton administration, so it behooves us to have a closer look at Morell’s record.

My initial reaction of disbelief and anger was the same as that of my VIPS colleague, Larry Johnson, and the points Larry made about Morell’s behavior in the Benghazi caper, Iran, Syria, needlessly baiting nuclear-armed Russia, and how to put a “scare” into Bashar al-Assad give ample support to Larry’s characterization of Morell’s comments as “reckless and vapid.” What follows is an attempt to round out the picture on the ambitious 57-year-old Morell

These people are all batshit crazy and in positions of power. Historically, there have been only very few solutions out of such conundrums.

12. Luke 11

BMEWS - RAF Fylingdales

We live not far from BMEWS site RAF Fylingdales. Robin Hood's Bay sits in a depression by the see in comparison to the height at which Fylingdales is placed, so I'm not sure how we'd sit regarding an over-pressure wave, firestorm etc etc. Given the number of MERVS the Russians would sling at it I dare say we wouldn't have much time to worry.

What I am certain of however is death within a few hours / days max from the nuclear fallout with us being in such close proximity.

I am pleased however that it wouldn't last very long either way and until it happens we get to live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I envy several neighbors who work there. Should they be on shift on the day of reckoning they probably wouldn't know a thing (not working in space operations as it's called).

To be honest I feel more worried about visiting the office in central London and being caught up in a terrorist attack, train crash or dying from heat exhaustion on the tube. Certainly more likely than being nuked.

1. Ol'Peculier

Re: BMEWS - RAF Fylingdales

The simulation I once watched at Fylingdales had Kings Lynn taken out first, apparently it's a communications conduit, then somewhere roughly north west of Scarborough that would take out GCHQ Scarborough, Staxon Wold and Menwith Hill as well as Fylingdales all in one go.

13. vir

Walker Is My Name

He said, “I never sung no beginning becaws you wont never fynd no beginning its long gone and far pas. What ever youre after youwl never fynd the beginning of it thats why youwl all ways be too late. Onlyes thing youwl ever fynd is the end of things. What ever happens itwl be what you dint want to happen. What ever dont happen thatwl be the thing you wantit. Take your choosing how you like youwl get what you dont want.”

14. Gordon Pryra

"This was a lesson learned in how important it is to be prepared."

No this was a lesson in how kin STUIPID having nukes is.

On top of destroying the planet because you dont have sheilded cable connections to your early warning devices you also run a fleet of planes equiped with nukes that will make sure there really are no human survivers if it goes tit up

And the USA call North Korea a rouge state, they are probably more trustworthy than the Yanks, at least when they Nuke someone it will come with a load of Political Vitriol

When the Yanks kill our kids and grand kids, there will be a 3 line apology about sun spots....

Trollface

Re: "This was a lesson learned in how important it is to be prepared."

> And the USA call North Korea a rouge state

That would be a "rouge star" state...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon