back to article MIT's chip fires frikkin' laser at qubits

MIT boffins reckon they've cracked one of the more difficult challenges of practical quantum computing – the miniaturisation of components. In a paper at Nature, the Karan Mehta, Colin Bruzewicz, Robert McConnell, Rajeev Ram, Jeremy Sage and John Chiaverini say they've printed an ion trap and optical waveguide together in a …

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Strange days

Computing is going to be very strange in 30 years.

1. Neoc

Re: Strange days

@ecofeco: As opposed to the last 30 years...? ^_^

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well you must admit that we haven't had very many qubits in the past 30 years.

1. jonathan1
          Coat

Well its evolved over the last thirty years...has there been a revolution though?

I mean smaller, faster, more cores, more bits, greater efficiency and few to no jumper setting. (Goodness that was fun/ball ache). The move to local power from mainframes and now in certain situations its becoming distributed again.

A move to quantum computing would be a leap... Sorry I'll get my coat.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Well, the only two revolutions have been the IC itself, and IBM's GMR disk drive heads. GMR heads took us from 5MB in a shoebox to terabytes in a deck of playing cards, and that was the result of some serious basic physics R&D at Big Blue.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like