back to article 'New CERN particle' a fluke

Stand down folks, cancel the party. Show's over. The exciting new particle thought to have been discovered by CERN's ATLAS and CMS detectors in December has turned out to be noise. Eight months ago, the equipment picked up a small blip while scientists were busy throwing matter around the Large Hadron Collider. That got …

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Scientists doing honest science

Good on them for publicising a negative result. If only all scientists, especially the ones working for drug companies, did the same.

1. asdf

Re: Scientists doing honest science

Honestly the problem is the whole goddamn shitty journal system which not only doesn't like to publish a negative result but also doesn't really want anyone to do try to reproduce a prior study as well. You watch when we start getting our machines to do most of the science then things will truly go exponential.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Gimp

we start getting our machines to do most of the science then things will truly go exponential

(From The Lack of Progress in Science: Sex Differences)

"All models are wrong, but there are still superior and inferior models. Their measure is in how they correspond to, and predict, reality. Not how they correspond to our ethical judgements of how the universe should be.

Many sociologists dissent from this position. They’ve marched into the academy and taken it over. Because of their ideology that all things are social, they believe they can reshape the fabric of the universe through their own normative preferences. To me this is a problem. I struggle against it. Our deep human intuitions often reject, and recoil, against fragments of reality. But to successfully grapple with reality we need to attempt to understand reality on its own terms, not our own.

I may struggle in vain. Could it be the liberal Whiggish scientific moment in history is over? History is written by the winners, but perhaps in the future science will also be written by the winners. I’m not sure that the truth will win out. Perhaps the glass will become darker, rather than clearer. There are genuine difficult empirical questions about the nature of human variation and our dispositions, and how it relates to the values that we hold to be true. The fact that we’re still discussing sex segregation in sports and how it is unjust illustrates how far we’ve come in the solipsistic and socially constructionist direction.

Imagine that in the end of days all the mandarins will be sociologists, who come not to bring illumination of the truth, but to determine the nature of the truth for us to agree upon. Perhaps this is the true end of history, as humanity returns to an equilibrium where the bracing aspects of reality are shielded from the masses, which lay indolent in their delusions, while the technocrats and artificial intelligences confront the outside.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Imagine that in the end of days all the mandarins will be sociologists, who come not to bring illumination of the truth, but to determine the nature of the truth for us to agree upon"

They'll all starve to death after they've determined that the laws of thermodynamics are purely a social construct.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Potential jumpsharkon spotted!

Meanwhile, theoreticists (theoreticians?) are going overboard. "You want particles? I give you particles!"

Ghost particles may explain why gravity is so surprisingly weak

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Potential jumpsharkon spotted!

I hate theories like this and the 26 dimensions (later dropped to "only" 11) where they make the math work by adding stuff.

The only redeeming value for this theory is that they claim it should predict something observable in the cosmic background radiation, so at least it is falsifiable.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Unfortunately I don't think a new WMAP is forthcoming and the "cosmic background imprint" is possibly beyond anything that can be ferreted from the noise inherent in the signal.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Maybe that's why the Ancients launched Destiny in Stargate: Universe.

3. DagD

next up: the "Global Warming" theory falls apart (again).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon