back to article Gone Goel: HPE changes storage leadership

It was recently reported that Manish Goel, HPE’s head of storage, had left the company. This seems to be one of a number of changes, including the departure of cloud head Bill Hilf. Although I didn’t meet him directly, Goel presented to the bloggers/influencers at the latest HPE Discover event in Las Vegas. Goel took over …

1. Stephen McLaughlin

Haven't Understood HPE's Storage Strategy for a while now

For a long time our HPE sales team would push all three competing enterprise storage units: 3PAR, EVA and repackaged Hitachi (HPE XP7). Now it least it looks like 3PAR is positioned as enterprise only and EVA is mid-tier. I was surprised to read that 3PAR doing so well. It's been several years since I've worked on one, but I used to love the storage management interface. It was very intuitive for a person new to 3PAR.

1. James Pond

Re: Haven't Understood HPE's Storage Strategy for a while now

I'm surprised to hear about HPE Sales team pushing EVAs. They are quite dead (5 years old and counting...).

What I've heard is XP7 is for mainframe and 100% availability scenarios, and 3PAR for everything else. StoreVirtual and it's ilk for several niche cases.

2. JMU78

Re: Haven't Understood HPE's Storage Strategy for a while now

Stephen:

EVA has been discontinued for quite a few years after HPE acquired and properly integrated 3PAR. No such cannibalization that we can still see at EMC where XtremeIO, Isilion and EMC Classic Reps (VNX, VMAX) battle for deals. Will be interesting to see when DELL Storage Reps get into this play and start pushing Compellent against the beforementioned. :-)

Back to the Topic: I don't believe there is a single HPE Rep out there still positioning the EVA product and I therefore suspect you must have not speaken to your HPE Rep in years. However, HPE certainly still supports existing EVA customers in multiple ways. HW/SW Support, Disk Upgrades and a seamless Migration to 3PAR with Online Import.

For the HPE Storage Strategy your HPE Rep can also help you - don't be shy and contact him. It is actually pretty simple and outlined in the article briefly (system-defined vs. software-defined). Compared to N°2 in the market - EMC - every baby understands HPE's strategy. Who can explain the EMC strategy? All I hear is "our Portfolio is all about choice".

But let me explain the postitioning 3PAR/XP7 real quick in the enterprise segment:

- 3PAR: Core Storage Plattform that spans from Entry to Midrange to Enterprise to All-Flash with a single shared code, one shared (rich) feature set and full interoperabilty from StoreServ 8200 (Entry-Array) to 3PAR 20840/20850 (Enterprise-Array, 8 Controllers - Multi PB Scale). 3PAR offers 6 Nines Availabilty - Guaranteed by HPE. Ideal for Virtualization and Composable Infrastructure.

- XP7: Bullet-Proof Storage Plattform (who doesn't remember the epic video) with a 100% Availability Guarantee from HPE. Supports traditional Storage Environments and offers few Integration Points into virtualized environments, supports Storage Virtualization (External Storage) and FICON for Mainframe Attach. Limited Feature set for Converged/Composable Infrastructure

So the Differentiation here is actually crystal clear and razor sharp.

Drop me a note if you need more info ;-)

DISCLAIMER: HPE here

2. FrankVanRiet

HPE Storage Strategy..easy as proverbial pie

The going forward HPE storage strategy is easy as proverbial pie : one side is system defined, AKA with hardware designs (so, 3PAR for file and block), the other side is Software Defined (StoreVirtual, StorOnce for Backup. ). That is what internal development uses going forward. However, as not everything is a nail and eg. both XP and MSA still have more than enough use cases out there; those 'traditional' platforms are not forgotten and not only continue to be supported but also continue to receive regular enhancements and updates. For object and large scale file HPE has agreements with Scality. And indeed..EVA went EOL on dec. 1st, 2013..so if your sales teams are still selling those..you may have found some hidden stash we don't know about? (Yes, I'm an HPE storage guy)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EVA? Come On

Stephen - not to beat a dead horse (like EVA), but wow - that's old gear man. OLD. My last EVA sale was for parts in '11.

4. Alistair
    Pint

HP storage

My HP storage is Apollo.

But, that the other elephant in the room.

*grin*

<awwww c'mon its Friday!>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like