back to article Samsung eyeballs new Note

Samsung today unwrapped Note 7, the latest in its line of category-creating phablet. (The company skipped a 6, going from 5 to 7). The update largely brings features already seen in the Galaxy S7 to the pen-friendly slab such as an Edge-style curved display, waterproofing and wireless charging. The device features a 5.7-inch …

1. Nigel Steward
    Unhappy

Fixed battery - disaster

Why don't Samsung listen to their users ?

I have had 4 Notes, and was anticipating buying a 5th.

But a fixed battery is a deal breaker, for me, and I believe many others.

NJSS

1. xj650t
      FAIL

Re: Fixed battery - disaster

Not too worried about the battery, my original Note 2 still going strong almost 4 years on. Still little lag and not found too much that doesn't run. Off charge at 7am this morning and still 52% left at 8pm.

Updates, as in none from Samsung, however mean I'll never buy another Samsung shiny, it'll be direct to the OS manufacturer for me from now on http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/02/android_august_patch_bundle/

2. Swarthy

I was looking to replace a Note 4, which has gotten waterlogged a few times (rice + time + battery removal = it's not dead yet) and sometimes acts weird. I liked the idea of the waterproofing on the 7, but the fixed battery means that it would be good for no more than 2 years, more likely a year and a half - even without spills.

I guess I'll just keep the rice handy.

1. handle

"Disaster"? No-one cares that tablets and increasingly laptops have non-removable batteries, so why worry about phones? People seem to be living in the past, when batteries really didn't last very long.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most fixed battery phones although you lose the convenience of changing batteries on a day to day basis they can nearly always still be changed fairly easily. Just search on YouTube for a guide for any specific model.

3. handle

64GB of RAM?

You seem to be making a habit of this...

1. Sheddyone

Re: 64GB of RAM?

At least the Guardian can get it right.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/02/samsungs-galaxy-note-7-is-waterproof-and-has-iris-scanning

"The Note 7 also features similar specifications to the Galaxy S7 Edge, including its IP68 rating making it waterproof to depths of 1.5m for 30 minutes, a 12-megapixel camera on the back, 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage, with a microSD card slot for adding more."

It goes on ...

"The phablet has a 5.7in quad HD screen, USB-C, and the integrated S-pen stylus, which is now waterproof and will work when the screen is wet."

Did I read that the S7 had some non-standard implementation of USB-C, ord did I imaging it? And does the Note have the same quirk?

Sheds.

4. Nigel Steward

Fixed battery - disaster - How right I was !

My initial comment:-

"Fixed battery - disaster" has been proven to be correct. Samsung would have found replacing millions of removable batteries quite easy compared with replacing the same number of fixed batteries.

Hopefully Samsung won't repeat this error with the SG Note 8.

NJSS

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon