back to article Firefox 'Electrolysis' reaches the one per cent

Mozilla has moved ahead with its cunning plan to split the browser window from the underlying content processing. First discussed in June, "Project Electrolysis" splits Firefox into a UI process and a content process. If it works, the change in architecture would keep tabs and menus operational even if someone's created the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We are the 99%

I run beta. How can you tell if the test is active?

1. Jordan Davenport

Re: We are the 99%

"I run beta. How can you tell if the test is active?"

Visit about:support and look for the "Multiprocess Windows" entry. If the value is greater than 0, it's enabled.

If it is 0 (not enabled), you can opt in by setting "browser.tabs.remote.autostart" to true in about:config. Restart Firefox, and check about:support again.

If it's still not enabled, you can force it, but Mozilla doesn't recommend this. That said, I've done it in both Windows 10 and OS X^H^H^H^HmacOS and not run into any issues, but I only run a few basic extensions.

See https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis for more information.

1. Updraft102

Re: We are the 99%

If you use a lot of addons, FF may work strangely with e10s. A lot have not been updated to work with e10s yet (and they may never be, as a lot of addon devs lose interest after a while).

2. NanoMeter

Tried it

But it got disabled by add-ons.

3. martin 62

if Multiprocess Windows is blocked by addons....

If you want to enable it but it's blocked by add-ons go to about:config and change extensions.e10sBlocksEnabling to False that will enable Multiprocess Windows.

4. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Stupid...

Can't anybody write code that treats input data as, ah, data? Every byte can be 0 to 255. Deal with it.

Sandboxing isn't some new concept. It should be inherent in writing code. Data is data. Headers are also data. Check them. Check all input. Software gagging on input data is a basic Coder FAIL.

One wonders how an Arbitrary Waveform Generator ever makes it through the day without having a crisis... One wonders how Random.org makes it through the day, what with all that perfectly random data flowing through its tubes... They must be The Best Coders On Earth.

Grumble grumble grumble... Should have stuck with the Harvard architecture... Grumble grumble grumble...

5. Alumoi Silver badge

Worthless

Tried it, saw it almost doubling the memory usage, returned to the good old ESR version.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Worthless

When I read it, I was worried it would use more resources and be more like how chrome eats resources.

1. quxinot

Re: Worthless

Does it matter? Mozilla's primary goal for some time has been to clone Chrome.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like