back to article EE roaming outage hits Brits basking abroad

EE customers basking in the first days of their hols abroad have frustratingly been unable to access their phones due to a major outage across the network. The biz, which was bought by BT for £12.5bn earlier this year, is Blighty's largest mobile carrier and has 31 million connections across its mobile, fixed and wholesale …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is anyone really surprised, especially when BT is involved?

1. tmTM

Re: Is anyone really surprised

Slightly surprised it took this long to hit the skids, mind you they've been quite busy ruining their own network recently.

2. wyatt
    FAIL

You're on holiday, shouldn't you be enjoying time away from your phone (I do acknowledge some may be on/need for business)?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

No can do. Phone grafted to hand. Signal keeps blood flowing. Without signal, world is dim and grey. Can't enjoy holidays if can't see it through phone screen while streaming to Facebook.

Think of all the selfies that are lost ! Won't somebody think of the selfies ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Think of all the exotic pokemon who will be roaming around uncaught by British holidaymakers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What does EE actually stand for?

Embarrassing Enterprise?

4. LarsG

They have no idea

I use BT Mobile, have not had a signal since yesterday here in the Channel Islands around 10am, EE finally admits there is a problem this afternoon and they have no idea how to fix it except to say switch airplane mode on and off. IDIOTS RUN BY IDIOTS MANAGED BY PLONKERS. Problem is EU wide but they keep saying 'some people' might have problems!

1. shil1

Re: They have no idea

Sadly their fix has no effect!

Which means BT are f*$king idiots for breaking it in the first place.

5. Anonymous John

Brexit means Brexit,

Including roaming.

PS. Shouldn't BT and EE rebrand as Beet?

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Shouldn't BT and EE rebrand as Beet?

Well if we're "still close to France" and we can be permitted a circumflex, bête might be more apposite.

6. FredBloggs61
    Coat

Clues in the first tweet - "Fastest UK network" ;)

7. Fullbeem

Signal was patchy in Ibiza this weekend

8. jms222

I hope you didn't drop a perfectly serviceable ice cream just to get that picture.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> I hope you didn't drop a perfectly serviceable ice cream just to get that picture.

Sadly, also my first thought..

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everything BT touch turns to mush

Why can't BT leave things alone, everyone who's used them in the past, or seen their recent history knows that when they touch something it eventually breaks.

Having been a long standing customer of Orange for so long, looks like now I'm going to have to move to another mobile company, since unreliability has now crept into my mobile company.

Pity, was just enjoying the stability that I had.

It also doesn't help when they down businesses because of it.

Sternly worded letters to BT demanding loss of business now imminent.

10. paulf
    Holmes

Let me fix that for you

"A spokeswoman from EE said it was aware that some all EE customers who are travelling abroad and trying to use roaming in certain most countries are experiencing issues affecting their voice and data roaming services."

When they say "some" or "certain" you know they mean pretty much all of their customers are affected.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not just Europe

This outage is worldwide.

The services are out in the USA as well.

12. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The real problem is that

Someone forgot to put 10p in the meter.

Well, either that or BT forgot to pay the roaming bills. You know those things that come in envelopes with URGENT in Red ink.

1. paulf
      Coat

Re: The real problem is that

They only come marked URGENT in red ink if you don't pay the previous one in black ink.

13. Paul J Turner

The problem is...

That they HAVE tried turning it On and Off again, when they should have turned it Off and then On again!

14. Tony Mudd

Same for me

Same for me - didn't connect to any network until after we'd been abroad for 12 hours.

I still can't send texts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like