back to article SentinelOne's $1m ransomware guarantee dismissed as PR stunt

A “ransomware guarantee” from security outfit SentinelOne has been dismissed by critics as a marketing stunt. Ransomware is currently the biggest scourge of internet security, affecting corporates and consumers alike. So self-styled next generation endpoint security firm SentinelOne unsurprisingly created waves with a pledge …

1. NotBob

If we can't protect you, we'll pay whoever gives you a good beating...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Million for backup, but not one satoshi for ransom.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It doesn't seem that much different to a bug bounty program really, each infection that beats their software can presumably then be blocked in the future so their software gets better and they pay the people who help them do it :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except this could be exploited for some easy cash...

4. Clive Galway

Not a good marketing technique.

It encourages ransomware authors to infect any customer of SentinelOne, because they know the likelihood of getting paid is significantly higher, and they know exactly how much they can extract out of you.

It paints a huge "GET YOUR MILLION BUCKS HERE" shaped target on the back of all your customers.

1. StomperUK

Lots of negative comments - got a better idea?

It strikes me that a customer will like this kind of cover. Will it encourage ransom scams? I don't think they need encouragement - they're already very active. Anything that helps a customer keep working has got to be a good thing and the cover can be used to do other than pay the ransom I believe.

But, ultimately, if a customer has their data locked, their back-ups haven't worked for some reason and their malware protection hasn't been effective, having some sort of alternative is a great choice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like