back to article Tesla's splitting with sensor supplier

Automotive motion-sensor outfit Mobileye has announced that it's broken up with 'leccy car-maker Tesla. The Israeli company made the announcement during its earnings call yesterday, saying that it wants to concentrate on closer collaborations, rather than merely being a parts supplier. Chairman Amnon Shashua said the company …

1. bazza Silver badge

Getting Distracted

“There’s nothing unexpected here from our standpoint … We’re committed to autonomy.

I think Tesla and everyone else is getting distracted by autonomous driving.

What, one wonders, is it that people think they're really buying when they buy a Tesla? Are they buying an electric car with moderately good usability characteristics which goes like stink (that just happens to have fancy cruise control)? Or are they buying a car with a ton of gadgets, a prototype autonomous mode, and a swish app (that just happens to be electric)?

For me, having been in a friend's Tesla, all that gadgetry, connectivity, remote data logging by Tesla, autonomous mode, is seriously off-putting. The entire car has been designed around having that enormous display in the centre console.

To me that demonstrates that Tesla are getting their priorities wrong. It shouldn't be all about what's shown on that screen, what data is collected and logged, what autonomy and gadgetry is made possible with all that on board compute power and all those sensors.

Instead it should be about making a car that goes well and is usable, despite being electric. Goes well? Check. Usable? Well that's still a big 'it depends'. And with drivers of upcoming models not being given the same level of access to Tesla charging points enjoyed by existing drivers, we have to conclude that usability is going to get worse.

My friend is certainly mixed up by it. He likes the gadgets, the app, the data, the autonomous mode and the especially the performance, hates the range anxiety, and in my opinion probably wouldn't have bought the car if it were gadget free. His enjoyment of the performance in it is limited by the fact that the range limitations means he can't go off somewhere to enjoy it. Instead he's limited to the commute, and gets stuck in the traffic just like the rest of us.

In that sense Tesla have got their priorities right - they're making sales that wouldn't have happened otherwise. But they're still not making a profit.

1. petur

Re: Getting Distracted

Why should one exclude the other?

I think all the extra's come from the fact that it can be done on the platform.

1. bazza Silver badge

@petur,

Why should one exclude the other?

I think all the extra's come from the fact that it can be done on the platform.

The point is that all the extras can be done on a car powered by any means, petrol, diesel, electric, hybrid. There's nothing about the automation and gadgetry that Tesla have that requires the car to be moved electrically, as Google, BMW, Volvo, etc have demonstrated with their petrol powered demonstrators.

Tesla's key selling point should be that it's electric. I think in practise that's diluted by the addition all the extras. Arguably the automation is a business risk (they might get sued big time if it goes really wrong), and reduces the effort they can put into making it a better electric car (ie more range).

1. John Robson Silver badge

Tesla's selling point is that it's a great car.

1. bazza Silver badge

That's a subjective point of view. For many people it's objectively a worse car. Making it so that it is objectively a better car for everyone should be their primary focus.

1. James Hughes 1

Are you saying its a worse car because of the gadgets? That doesn't make sense. Especially since you don't actually have to use the gadgets if you don't want to.

Their primary focus is the Model 3 - getting that built and getting very mass market is what they are aiming at. Meanwhile the Model S and X get better with each iteration.

2. Steve Todd

How often do you drive more than 250 miles in a day? When you do, do you stop off for a coffee break?

People make far too much about the range limits of these cars. I have a friend with a BMW i3, with a range of around 90 miles on a charge. He manages quite well even with that, and he makes a long journey twice a week with it.

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

It's not just about the range. There are gasoline powered cars with 40L tanks, and big stupid (Harley) motorcycles, that have very short ranges, not much different than the Tesla.

It's the refueling TIME. It's the remaining lack of locations to recharge. It's the advice to not use the full range of the cells. Over a real world 24 hour race on an arbitrary route, the Tesla wouldn't beat a VW Camper Van.

It's the extraordinary price ($40k) and 10 or 12 year life span of the pack. Just the depreciation of the battery pack costs more per year ($4k) than I spend on gasoline.

Range Anxiety is real, but over simplified.

1. James Hughes 1

The battery pack has residual value after 10 years - quite a lot. So 4k depreciation on the pack per year is a fallacy.

I spend about $3700 year on petrol...and that is just commuting back and forth to work. $4k is well within a car based workers petrol quantities.

1. Steve Todd

The other point is that, as volumes ramp up, the cost per kWh of the battery packs falls. In 10-12 years a replacement pack will be far cheaper than it is today.

Your petrol car also contains consumable parts (oil, spark plugs, filters, belts etc) which are going to add up to rather more in maintainance over that period.

2. bazza Silver badge

@JeffyPoooh

It's the refueling TIME. It's the remaining lack of locations to recharge. It's the advice to not use the full range of the cells.

Agreed, that's the real killer. Given that the recharging time is long the single charge range matters.

If they made the range really good (1000 miles), that would suit even me, even if it took all night to recharge.

1. Steve Todd
            Stop

The supercharger network is still a bit thin in the UK, but an 80% charge in the time it takes you to pop in to a service station for a coffee and to use the loo isn't much of a limitation.

3. Dknell

It's funny how it's always a friend with a Tesla who has range anxiety.

I don't know anyone who actually owns a Tesla that has range anxiety but then I actually do drive a Tesla and I do actually know people who do.

2. HamsterNet

Missing the point

The long term point in automation is to get rid of the car ownership entirely.

Once cars can drive themselves there is no point in ever owning one. Simply request a car on your phone, get in and be taken to the desired destination.

Think UBER without the major cost of the drivers. Instantly ready, always fully charged. The rides will cost you less than you currently pay in fuel let alone tax, insurance, tax, maintenance and of course tax.

The reason is it in the car now is for a the DATA. Currently at 1 million hours of autonomous driving PER DAY, all being fed back to Tesla to use to make the system better.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Missing the point

Whilst that may come into being, it misses out one of the key aspects of cars. They're personal spaces, with our stuff in them. We like our personal spaces.

As soon as they're shared they're only as nice as the worst person to have ridden in it since it was clean. That's one of the reasons why people bought cars - to get off the buses and trains and smelly taxi cabs.

It's also a model that may work in a city but doesn't work in the country side.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tesla's new sensor...

The new Tesla 'Truck Spotter 4000'.

4. Dknell

Bottom Line

This is all about mobileye's bottom line and has nothing to do with Tesla. BMW & Intel are cutting them a slice of the pie which Tesla wasn't prepared to do. BMW wont have a fully autonomous vehicle till 2030 as they are hamstrung by their investors/lawyers unwilling to accept the risk.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Range Anxiety is a myth (from an owners view)

Don't believe the Top Gear comments when they reviewed the Leaf and Zoe. Tesla is more than capable of delivering over 200 cheap and reliable miles out of a single charge. The Supercharger network is growing, not at the rate we want, but still getting better. Also the network is free to use and will always be free to use (for Model S and X users). I can choose to drive from London or Edinburgh right now, knowing that I can make it easily, albeit with a couple of stops mid journey to recharge. These typically take just over an hour, and you are ready to go. It does mean that you spend some of the money you save on coffee.

I bought my car on the way it drove (which is amazingly quiet and luxurious - and if pushed - unbelievably fast), I love the way it looks. It is fairly universally accepted from Tesla owners perspective that Petrol/Diesel cars are slow, polluting and needlessly expensive to keep feeding.

Autopilot seemed like an expensive toy, at £2300 to enable a software feature. It was initially scary, but I have lots of faith in it, but use it mainly in heavy traffic. I think the negative publicity regarding the recent crash has been relished by the other car manufacturers, I don't know anyone who has stopped using Autopilot. When this feature first got released, there were videos of people getting out of the drivers seat and letting the car drive itself. Some people will push anything too far.

Also, in response to previous posters, who pay $3500-$4000 in fuel, the UK fuel prices are ridiculously expensive, with fuel £1.10+ per litre, which puts it into £5.50+ gallon, which is topping $7 per gallon. It feels nice to not have to worry about rising fuel costs.

It will be interesting to see what Tesla do when they cannot use the Mobileye software. I have faith that they will have something up their sleeve.

1. nowster

Re: Range Anxiety is a myth (from an owners view)

Don't forget that US gallons are smaller than UK gallons and the pound has lost a lot of value recently. £1.10/litre ≅ US$5.50/USgallon.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hinkley Point C

With the anticipated rise in the cost of electricity in Britain, would that put off anyone thinking about buying an electric vehicle or is it a case of if you can afford a TESLA you don't have to worry about the cost of the electricity?

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Hinkley Point C

Price would need to go up by a couple of orders of magnitude before petrol was competitive. Except that many people would buy and run a petrol genny before then, so the price of petrol would go up as well...

7. Alan Denman

We simply did not know what a barge pole it is?

It is the novelty of the mysterious know that makes the car attractive.

But common knowledge that it is really a deathly beta makes it lemony enough not to touch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like