back to article Buzz Aldrin's Apollo XI expenses claim revealed

The month is nearly over, so for those of you preparing expense reports we thought it might be fun to offer the Tweet below, from Buzz Aldrin the second human to walk upon the moon. Aldrin has shared his expenses claim from that trip, an artefact we offer as much for its glimpse at 1960s bureaucracy as for its amusement value …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So he went to Hawaii by way of the Moon. Even in the '60s how did he have only $33.31 in expenses? Was he flying coach?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Joke

Perhaps $218.77 (after inflation) went further then?

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
      Alien

Not very many places out there taking American currency. I hear the UFOs only take bitcoin.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Alien

ITYM "Buttcoin" - it's what the anal probes are for...

1. Captain Scarlet
          Facepalm

Ah come on, you should know by now we would murder and replicate you, none of this probing stuff!

3. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Alien

Government travel? He's lucky he got a seat!

How many frequent flier miles do you earn for a trip to the moon? :-)

2. Little Mouse

How tempting...?

There are boxes there for "Speedometer Reading" &"Miles" for every part of the trip. Including the Moon bit.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

Haven't these been put out there already? I'm sure these and some customs forms have been going around for many years.

These days I have to punch mine into some web interface that I keep forgetting the credentials for, then constantly chase them to make sure they get paid.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Last year's news

A quick duckduck shows quite a few articles about the expenses claim from this time last year:

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/buzz-aldrin-filed-expense-claim-for-apollo-11-trip-to-the-moon-20150731-giov2m.html

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/03/buzz-aldrin-travel-expenses-moon-apollo-11

etc.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In my company systems...

.... if a destination is not in their SAP databases and applications, it doesn't exists and you can't travel there.

That's why many people believe they never got to the Moon.

(Once they refused me a fuel reimbursement, because I refueled the morning after the travel, instead within the travel days, the system doesn't allow for it - I got home late under heavy snowing and wasn't in the right mood to go to the nearest open station)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: In my company systems...

Yay, SAP. Making stupid rules obligatory for 25 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: In my company systems...

Yet another reason for being a contractor, not a permie

Most contractors don't bother with SAP systems in their companies ;-)

5. Tony S

Hmmm...

A shame that he couldn't claim mileage. My last company offered 45 ppm.

1. Pen-y-gors

Mileage?

Of course he couldn't claim mileage - that's only if you use your own vehicle. Now, if he'd manage to get to the moon in an old Buick he'd really deserve the mileage!

But does NASA offer air miles? (or vacuum miles)

1. Keith Glass

Mileage? Certainly no Frequent Flier Miles.

Air miles ? I know they didn't get Frequent Flier Miles: they didn't have upgrades available until nearly 12 years after Apollo 11. . .

Besides, less than half a million miles, official round-trip distance. A free trip to Mars requires at LEAST 50 million frequent-flier miles. . . and that's in Coach. . .

1. Midnight

Re: Mileage? Certainly no Frequent Flier Miles.

"A free trip to Mars requires at LEAST 50 million frequent-flier miles. . . and that's in Coach. . ."

Trust me, go for the upgrade. In Coach you have to listen to disco and only eat potatoes.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The importance of paperwork

Looking through the comments in response you find a Flat Earther.

For them just another piece of fakery as part of 'the conspiracy'

1. Jason Hindle

Re: The importance of paperwork

"Looking through the comments in response you find a Flat Earther."

I prefer to call them the fifty two percenters....

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: The importance of paperwork

I like it! Something to add to the classic

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. "

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Did they bill him for the switch he broke on the LEM?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would have been more work filling it out for Apollo 15-17

Then he'd have to add entries for driving the Rover "destination: Some crater" and back again "destination: Lunar Lander".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon