back to article Diablo conjures up hell of a DIMM: 128GB NAND pretend-RAM summoned

Diablo Tech's Memory1 128GB DDR4 system memory module is now available, and is claimed to be the highest-capacity system memory on the market. Workloads such as big data analytics, caching, in-memory databases and complex web applications that need large memory spaces can use it with no changes to hardware, operating systems …

1. Joerg

NAND flash will be useless and die quickly with such a usage scheme.

3D XPoint is going be as reliable as RAM and way faster than NAND so used as a RAM cache makes sense.

This product with NAND configured as cache is completely useless and unreliable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"is going to be"

AKA "isn't yet". It's an experimental technology that has not yet entered mass production in any form, which makes it about as useful as a non-existent rock. Waiting for the possible future to filll existing requirements, when there are technologies available now that are "good enough", is silly.

1. PNGuinn
        Megaphone

" ... which makes it about as useful as a non-existent rock"

Have you, sir, ever considered the multitude of things you can usefully NOT do with a non-existent rock?

No, thought not ...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: " ... which makes it about as useful as a non-existent rock"

I liked the bit about "complex web applications".. I think what they mean is badly written web applications :-)

I've noticed that in a lot of organisations you're better off having an application which needs a lot of resources and hand holding as management tend to think that this kind of application is important rather than realising that it is simply badly written and/or badly designed.

Managers also like the feeling that their applications and by extension they, are "special" and buying "special" memory feeds this rather nicely.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

You got shares in Intel Joerg?

2. Detective Emil
    WTF?

Data? What data?

What I don’t understand (and the company’s web site does not explain) is why the product is volatile in the face of power failure if it’s using NAND, a non-volatile storage technology. Maybe it’s that the driver software makes no guarantee about what’s in DRAM and what’s in NAND when the lights go out.

1. Lennart Sorensen

Re: Data? What data?

Because they made it that way. What they don't say is how they ensure it is erased on poweroff. How would I trust that it is done at poweroff and not at poweron (which would mean it is actually quite insecure, unlike what they claim).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Data? What data?

I figure there's a second product w/ non-volatility coming. Clearly, that code would be more finicky thus slowing time to market. This way, the HW doesn't get more obsolete than necessary.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

What's the point?

This will cost an 1) An Arm, 2) A leg, 3) A kidney and 4) the lives of your unborn children.

When(or if) it gets to a price that people other than Donald 'The Wall' Trump can afford please let us know.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: What's the point?

You seem to not be the target market.

Financials? Military? Government/Federal/EU?

"Money" is not a problem (it's someone else's anyway).

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: What's the point?

"This will cost an 1) An Arm, 2) A leg, 3) A kidney and 4) the lives of your unborn children."

According to the article it's a good deal cheaper than the equivalent real RAM. That's the point.

4. Lennart Sorensen

Not interested without proper support

Until they even try to get the drivers for this (and their previous teradimm) included in the OS, I would not touch it. The support could disappear at any time and you could be left with a system you can never upgrade.

I don't see any indication they have even tried to get their linux drivers included in the official linux kernel source. Throwing stuff on github and then ignoring it for over a year is not support.

5. Bronek Kozicki
    Joke

Wait ...

... is that a microSDXC card reader at the top of the radiator?

6. GrapeBunch

Whenever I hear yadda about Diablo, I wait for Qume to produce a more accessible marguerite.

7. short

MLC DRAM?

Hmm, DRAM's too expensive? NAND is improving that with MLC. Is the work that's gone into writing levels, reading levels, and error correction not applicable to DRAM too? They even get a constant scrubbing with refresh cycles, so you'd hope wouldn't have to worry about drifting too far. Even 2 bits per bit would be a win.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon