back to article US nutter counts to one million on net

A US chap is counting to one million live on the net to raise funds for the Push America disabilities charity. Jeremy Harper, 31, reckons it will take a total of three to four months to work his way to the big total, counting 12,000-15,000 numbers during a 16 hour daily stint. He's currently at around 191,000, and will not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Grant

With the money you would have made working, you could have bought tickets from a scalper

3 to 4 months of 16-hour days for $2600? Plus the money spent on the setup? Really?

2. harreh

so much

so much for so little pay? would be nice if someone donated a million $ surely he could just work for a month and take about that if not a little more home?

3. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Count again bud

That's $2600 for just over 12 days if I've got my sums right. Assuming he makes that amount every 20 days on average he'll make about $20,000.

So that's $20,000 for 5 months work. He'd have to be a teacher to earn that sort of money.

4. Chad H.

Shh, dont talk now, Google could be looking

And everyone now point your browsers to crazyoldguy.google.com who's counting to a Googol... What, Too Rediculious? They bought the YouTube moneypit did'nt they?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well

@Robert Grant

Well he's raised $2600 so far (191,000). So lets round that up to 200,000 and assuming a linear fund raising pattern he will raise approx. $13,000 for 3 to 4 months of 16-hour days. I expect watching the live feed would probably make Big Brother an exciting entertainment alternative.

6. Lee Staniforth

Fridge

Why's he got what looks to be Vodka in his freezer?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Lee

Because he's counting to one million...you've got to have something to do. The Funny part will be where he tanks his counting due to being tanked and has to start all over again.

8. Bob Caygeon

Read between the lines people

Not that I'm poo-pooing his charitable status - $2600 is more than I've donated recently, but look at what the _actual_ revenue is here.

"100% of all donations made on our Donations page will be going directly to PUSH America"

The pledges are for charity, _everything_else_ is his income. That includes the ad banners, google ads etc. etc.

http://www.millioncount.com/KBlocks.aspx

That's a whack o' 'kblock' sponsors there - as well as other ad spaces. None...yes, you read that right - None...of this money will go to charity. It's for the "Million Count Fund" or ... 'beer money' as it's also known.

I have no problem with people making a buck off advertising - milliondollarhomepage was a great little earner - but be honest about it. His 'sponsors' link is higher in the navigation than the 'donation' page - it's a cashgrab people.

9. John A Blackley

So?

"US nutter counts to one million on net" "US nutter"? Nobody in Europe ever did anything strange to raise money for charity?

He's doing something pointless to raise money for charity, gang! For goodness sake, all this blather about earnings and waste of time?

How about "Huge bunch of British nutters put on red noses and embarass the crap out of themselves to raise money for charity"?

A little sense of perspective please.

10. Jason Togneri

Re: Fridge

The vodka (or similar) in the freezer? Why not? It's well known in certain countries that since it has too high of an alcohol content to actually freeze, it just gets cool and extremely dense - maybe you should try freezing something yourself, sometime!

11. Joe

@ John A Blackley

He's based in the US, and he's a nutter (the word being used in a jokey way, no doubt). Why the annoyance? What's it got to do with Europe or the British?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

regular viewers

how many numbers has he missed so far?

13. Scott Mckenzie

Money

The guy was on the Radio in the UK and initially he was doing it to raise money for himself but has since decided to change it to charity and claimed that ALL of the money is going to charity, so whilst the site design may appear oriented to him i believe all the money is for a good cause.

14. Kevan

erm.......

"Nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-one."

"Nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-two."

"Nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety-three."

<ring-ring>

"Hello......... Damn!"

"One."

"Two."

"Three....."

15. Tom Haczewski

Vodka...

Well at least it's Vodka and not something more sinister. I mean, nobody would put anything ^dodgy^ in their freezer, would they..?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/06/dinner_party/

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This guy should go out and do actual work for charity

What a waste of human resources. If he wants to raise money for charity, he should go and volunteer to work for the one of his choosing. As another comment said, this is a no-talent trying to make a buck off the web 2.0 'synergy.'

Charity should be without ego. All I see here is a self-serving play to make others think "Look how great he is."

This topic is closed for new posts.