back to article Digital divide becoming chasm, research reveals

Movement on the digital divide has stalled with only marginally more people online today than three years ago. UK online centres, managed by the University for Industry, have issued a report which says that bridging the digital divide is the responsibility of the public, private, and third sector working together. Conducted in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

third sector?

Can any one explain what the 'third sector' is? I would have thought it was either public or private

Answers on a postcard....

2. Leo Rampen

Perhaps they don't want to?

Have they considered that the 31% remaining don't want a computer - I know that my grandparents don't want a computer. Perhaps as the old people die off and generations move up, the numbers will decrease slowly - I can't think of many kids my age who don't have a computer.

3. Richard Kennaway

Third sector

Never heard of it before. I thought it would be charities, but googling suggests it means quangos. There's even an Office of the Third Sector in the cabinet.

BTW, does "those already at a disadvantage are three times more likely to be the ones missing out" mean anything more than "poor people can't afford to buy things"?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Third Sector

It's voluntary organisations.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Maybe

they're counting associations ? Like the ones bringing used PC equipment to poor countries ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

It's the voluntary sector by a Strategy Boutiqued name.

This topic is closed for new posts.