back to article Generic VoIP toolkit comes to the iPhone

Global IP solutions is now punting its VoiceEngine Mobile technology for the iPhone, making it simple to add VoIP to any iPhone application. Developers wanting to add VoIP capabilities to mobile applications - such as adding voice communications to a game - can licence the stack from Global IP Solutions. Apple has been clear …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Jobs will kill it as soon as

with the phone home app kill feature unless they pay him a nice wodge

2. sleepy

VOIP allowed over WiFi

Steve Jobs said VOIP will be allowed over WiFi. If it's blocked, then that would be a change of policy.

3. Dave Morfee

Europe ahead of US

Does Jobs say these things forgetting in Europe we are leaps and bounds above the US in terms of our mobile technology?

Surely it should be up to teh network the iphone is on rather than Jobs deciding? T-Mobile on the right package allow VOIP so why cant the iphone be used for that.

Kimbie

4. Mark
    Coat

Revolutionary Technology!

Sweet! With this, you'd be able to use your iPhone as a telephone!

5. McObvious

...frugal enough to make much use of VoIP...

Well the one area I can see VoIP being really useful is if you can connect to a cheap/free WiFi network while abroad/roaming (for example a friend's home network). Inclusive minutes are all very well, but I bet VoIP is cheaper when you'd otherwise be roaming.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

VoIP Good!

The previous version of the OS (1.1.4) had Fring, which allowed you to use your Skype account for calls. As someone who's telco charges ridiculous money for overseas calls and has clients in numerous countries, Fring saved me a fortune in fees. When travelling, it was as McObvious said - I would hop onto a WiFi network and pay $0.02 per minute instead of $2+ per minute in roaming fees.

Would be nice to see it over the cell network (if, of course, the carriers ever let Apple do it, which is the issue), but not sure if the bandwidth is there for serious use....

(Saint Steve, to piss off the freetards and haters)

7. Tim Spence

Truphone

Truphone, which is available for free from the app store, already does VoIP, doesn't it?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

whose decision is it anyway?

"Surely it should be up to teh network the iphone is on rather than Jobs deciding?"

How naive of you to believe there is even the slightest hint of a possibility that any network would allow VoIP on an all-you-can-eat data plan. At the end of the day, Jobs has to be seen firm on this or Apple won't get any deals with the networks, it's that simple.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Truphone

only works with truphone's service, nothing to see here, move along.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

get the iPhone SDK and DIY

There are truckloads of open source SIP/RTP stacks out there, there are also some "lesser ubiquitous" protocol stacks which are even better because they will stay under the radar where SIP probably won't (and for this reason I won't mention them by name here).

Anyway, it's not all that difficult to port such stacks to the iPhone, all you need is the iPhone SDK, and if you don't have the expertise inhouse, you can always hire one of the authors of the stack, open source authors are generally open to doing work on their stuff in return for some financial support as obviously they don't get license fees for their open source code.

You don't put your apps into the app store, you declare them inhouse applications, by default you can deploy every inhouse app to 100 iphones, larger companies can get a higher quota but I don't know what's involved. Anyway, this way, I am pretty confident that you can do VoIP over 3G because your app won't be public. If you use a lesser known voip protocol, especially one of those which don't use RTP but embed signaling and payload into a single data stream, then your network operator will never know you're doing voip calls over 3G.

Ideally, you hook all your iPhones via VoIP into your voip pbx and then you can do all your outbound calls via your pbx using the best tariffs you can get. This is of particular value when making long distance or international calls. If you are roaming overseas you probably don't want to use voip over 3G though because I reckon that the data roaming charges will be too expensive to get any net savings on the calls.

11. marc

Jobbs?

I doubt Steve Jobs really deals with this. Apple have about 10 billion layers of management between him and the folk who decide whether one particular program gets allowed.

12. Chad H.
    Stop

@ AC who's decision is it anyway.

t-mobile uk do have specific voip permitted "unlimited" data plans.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely...

You'd be connecting to your in house VoIP PBX via a VPN anyway? So unless they can decrypt your VPN that's running over 3G then they aren't going to know you're using it for SIP anyway (well, they could have a guess from statistical analysis of packet sizes I suppose).

14. Bonnie
    Coat

VoIP over 3G

Jobs is right in fending off VoIP over 3G. Existing 3G networks need a few 3GPP release iterations before latency drops to levels deemed good enough for VoIP.

Anyhow, be it 3G or WiFi, 3rd-party VoIP apps don't do the Jesusphone justice. If it's more about more than just bragging rights, you'll want a seamlessly integrated VoIP client. Back to you, Steve.

Er, mine's the one with the Nokia N95 -- with integrated VoIP -- in the pocket.

15. Tim Spence

RE: re: Truphone

But is it VoIP, yeah?

This article was specifically talking about adding this component into iPhone games - surely one iPhone game can only "call" the same iPhone game elsewhere.

Stop being anonymous, twat.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

t-mobile?

"t-mobile uk do have specific voip permitted "unlimited" data plans."

I thought it was O2 and not T-Mobile carrying the iPhone in the UK? If so, then what does it matter if T-Mobile have such a tariff plan? The only operator in the UK that matters in respect of the iPhone is O2, or not?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VoIP on iPhone the legal way

Here is what I do: I built myself an open source software based pbx with a gsm pci interface board. The SIM card for the pbx is on a friends & family plan together with my iphone contract. This means I don't get charged for any calls between the pbx and my iphone. Calls coming in on the pbx via my landline or via voip get forwarded over GSM to my iPhone, no charges at all. If I want to make an international call or a long distance call, I call the pbx over GSM and use voip service from there, no charges for the GSM leg, only the voip charges. Still working on an app for the iphone to make dialing seemless. The pbx software also has a whole bunch of features I haven't even looked at yet, but some of it seems very useful.

The pbx cost me about $120, the gsm pci card was expensive though, almost $500, I probably won't save as much as to get that back, but hey, it was great fun to do this and I learned a lot.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like