back to article ASUS first Asian PC maker to warn of price hikes... in 2.5 months

ASUS has confirmed the UK list price of computers are expected to rise on average by nine per cent in the Christmas quarter due the weakening of the British pound versus the US dollar. Unlike American rivals Dell and HP Inc, the Asian PC makers have been far slower to react to currency swings, with Lenovo and Acer still unable …

1. CAPS LOCK

Price rises you say?...

PC makers - "We're putting up our prices "

Customers - "No problem, we we're going to buy any anyway, knock yourselves out"

1. TonyJ

Re: Price rises you say?...

"...Customers - "No problem, we we're going to buy any anyway, knock yourselves out"...

In English?

Did you mean to say "Customers - "No problem, we weren't going to buy any anyway, knock yourselves out"?

2. Slx

Prices haven't increased ... The UK got poorer.

The huge problem here is that this is going to happen across a whole range of products and services. Very, very few things are fundamentally priced in £.

The Brexiteers were working on the principle that goods and services could be replaced with British equivalents and that this would boost the economy. That would all make sense I'm about 1956. The UK is a hugely import dependent market and now has a weakened currency. That's not going to be good for your living standards as basically every consumer good is either directly imported, indirectly imported or relies on imported components / ingredients/ services and most importantly energy.

You'll start to see prices increase across the board as soon as contracts come up for renewal and as soon as sterling's current value is priced in.

You realistically can't expect the rest of the world to give you a 10-15% discount on just because of a political decision in the UK that's resulted in sinking currency values.

For those of us not paying in £ the prices stated the same.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Flame

The Brexiteers were

morons.

Fixed that for you.

I imagine no one is going to read this, what with the news of the rest of Europe (forget the rest of the world for now) all fighting with each other to offer us deals.

What's that you say ? They're not ? How odd, Nige and Boris assured us they would.

1. TonyJ

Re: The Brexiteers were

"...The Brexiteers were

morons..."

What? All 17-odd million of them?

So we have a split of around 15 million that are, what? Geniuses? and 17-odd million that are morons?

Or perhaps you are oversimplifying things, adding in a good pinch of emotion (bitterness for not getting the result you clearly wanted) and not asking the bigger question of why so many people felt that they wanted a change? Felt that the status quo couldn't or shouldn't continue?

Will it be disastrous? Possibly. Will the UK survive and eventually thrive? Probably.

But fundamentally, that is what democracy is and how it works - demos - the will of the many. Right or wrong, it's the system we have.

Stop crying.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"...The Brexiteers were morons..."

- Yes.

1. TonyJ

"...

"...The Brexiteers were morons..."

- Yes.

..."

Bravely posted anonymously.

1. Nunyabiznes

Maybe he is brave Sir Robin?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Stop crying."

Say what you will, I think there'll be a market for stickers saying "Don't blame me, I voted REMAIN" in a few months time.

2. William 3 Bronze badge

Puerile Attitude

Sanctimoniously calling people "morons" because they chose an alternative you disagreed with reflects badly on yourself.

If you believe that everyone is an "idiot" who doesn't think like you, you're nothing but a prize A prick.

Truth be told, a good number of the comments regarding Brexit would be deleted if for being "Trolls" if the roles were reversed if it was Brexit people calling the Remainers "Morons" because they lost.

But then, there's no ethics in Journalism these days, just a bunch of left wing PC halfwits from thje snow flake generation.

Now of course, that should be Modded as a personal attack, but given I can point to numerous comments where the same kind of attacks have been dished out towards people who voted to exit the EU, you'd be accused of hypocracy if you modded this.

But then, that's the PC snowflakes forte isn't it, hypocracy.

Go choke on your fucking lattes. Wankers.

1. TonyJ

Re: Puerile Attitude

"...If you believe that everyone is an "idiot" bar you, you're a fucking prick..."

Reminds me of the e-card I saw a bit back - "I've met some pricks in my time, but you, sir, are an entire fucking cactus!" :)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

We (mistakenly IMHO but that is in the past) voted to leave the EU. The 'remainers' told us that the exchange rate would drop.

It duly did (even though it has recovered a bit).

Now we get those who voted to leave complaining that they will have to pay more for

- Their German made cars

- The Wine that they drink

- The Stella and other foreign lagers they migh drink

- The clothes on their back

- Their Chinese assembled IT Kit

- Their foreign holidays

- etc

- etc

They were told this would happen.

Tough. They voted for this so now we have to get on with life and accept it.

At least the pound didn't hit £1===$1 apart from in the eyes of the US Suppliers.

We have to be thankful for small mercies.

1. TonyJ

"...Now we get those who voted to leave complaining that they will have to pay more for..."

Where? Please provide evidence of this complaining. It may be there, but it gets deafened out by all the whining of the remainers calling for rallies, marches and a second vote.

2. Kernel

"- The Stella and other foreign lagers they migh drink"

Well, if you've any sort of luck at all you might get to see a growth in the UK brewing industry to produce more high quality local beers to replace the mass produced swill that is currently so popular.

3. YARR
          Thumb Down

Britain hasn't become 10% less productive in material terms overnight. The currency has devalued due to speculators alone - nothing else has changed. We shouldn't allow issues as important as who makes our laws to be influenced by speculators. Besides a currency devaluation gives us an advantage that many countries with stagnant economies in the Eurozone would beg for.

If it really bothers you, why not write to your MP asking them to pass a law pegging the pound to the dollar like the Chinese do (notice how they artificially undervalue their currency to remain competitive) - then we can ignore the speculators and give investors the stability they desire.

Personally I don't spend a large % of my income on imported goods - it's better for our economy if consumers spend less on imports. The largest cost for many people is housing and hopefully Brexit will help fix that problem by making the UK a less attractive place for foreigners to live. It's inevitable there will be some pain from system changes as we transition to an independent country again, but in the long term it will be worth it.

4. John Sanders
        Holmes

>>> morons.

>>> Fixed that for you.

Leftist snowflake types always project upon others the qualities and attitudes they most despise without looking at a mirror first, or have any form of introspection.

Grow up and present convincing arguments like an adult.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can anyone tell me of ONE event, ever ..

.. where IT prices actually went down?

The <insert any aspect, country, domain, harvest etc)> is doing well, prices to rise. The <as before> is in trouble, prices going up. A gnat farted in a forest somewhere: prices will go up.

The rise in prices is as inevitable as bureaucracy increasing and governments grabbing more power if you let them.

1. Nunyabiznes

Re: Can anyone tell me of ONE event, ever ..

Well not so much one event as much as a whole market tanking.

1991-1993 or so I could build and sell a pc with licensed software for $1500 (US) and beat the retail stores by $1000 with equivalent equipment and warranties - just no name. The bottom fell out and now that same level of pc is $500 even though the true value of a dollar is nearly half what it was then.

But yes, lately it doesn't take much for prices of anything to fluctuate because the stock market (as it works today) demands it by people panic selling and buying trying not to lose their shirts.

1. TonyJ

Re: Can anyone tell me of ONE event, ever ..

"...1991-1993 or so I could build and sell a pc with licensed software for $1500 (US) and beat the retail stores by $1000 with equivalent equipment and warranties - just no name. The bottom fell out and now that same level of pc is $500 even though the true value of a dollar is nearly half what it was then..."

That is a flawed argument.

1991-1993 was just before the mass adoption of the PC in the home. It comes in at a time when people were also realising that gaming was actually possible on them, not just spreadsheets and word processing.

In all successful products, the demand for something is initially low and as a result the price is high. As time progresses, and demand increases, so does supply. This in turn, drives down the prices. Eventually. the market moves on and demand begins to fall. At this point the prices again start to rise.

See D: Equlibrium here: http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/economics3.asp to see an example graph.

These factors have very little to do with things such as the value of a currency (yes, it impacts, but it's rarely a driving force).

4. Slx

what's spooking everyone is the absolute uncertainty, lack of a plan, lack of a roadmap, lack of anything!

I'm not saying this to slag anyone off but the British government looks totally incompetent and obsessed with internal party politics.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like