back to article Microsoft silently kills dev backdoor that boots Linux on locked-down Windows RT slabs

Microsoft has quietly killed a vulnerability that can be exploited to unlock ARM-powered Windows RT tablets and boot non-Redmond-approved operating systems. The Register has learned that one of the security holes addressed this week in the July edition of Microsoft's Patch Tuesday closes a backdoor left in Windows RT by its …

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

not long before RT slab-tops are completely worthless

The RT slab-tops had at LEAST a chance at being useful, if they could run Linux... but now they have NO worth at ALL.

I pity anyone that was suckered into buying one of those...

I remember the 'secure boot' fiasco, and how Micro-shaft ASSURED us that for x86, you would be able to DISABLE the 'secure boot' and load "a legacy OS" onto a windows-logo certified box. But, NOT SO with the ARM-based boxen. We have to wonder *why* this was... and I think we're seeing some of that coming back like a turd that won't flush.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: not long before RT slab-tops are completely worthless

> you would be able to DISABLE the 'secure boot'

With Windows 10 x86 devices this is now officially optional. The OEM can make it so that it can't be disabled if they wish*.

* ... to keep their 'loyalty discounts'.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I briefly looked into one, a cheap Windows tablet with a decent processor architecture seemed like a good idea, it seemed like a novelty to have a Windows desktop on a tablet.

Until I quickly researched a little bit further. No x86 support, except for using emulators which on a low spec tablet would be sub-optimal. App quantity is low in the Windows store as is, nevermind that RT could only run a subset of ARM compiled/compatible apps. Built in Office but was the full screen tabet style interface.

The thought of installing a different OS would at least have made it useful - indeed, an HP Touchpad gained another lease of life by dual-booting Android (actually went further and triple booting the alpha LuneOS) while retaining the original WebOS for posterity purposes, and some have installed Ubuntu.

Now Microsoft has said no to alternative OSs.

What did I go for in the end? A cheap Chinese tablet, x86, 64GB storage, 4GB RAM, dual boots Android and Win10 - runs LibreOffice, Eclipse, some older Windows games, app store support, also runs Android, a great combination.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"with a decent processor architecture" "researched a little bit further. No x86 support"

Why did you expect this ?

2. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

WM "What did I go for in the end? A..."

Why the singular "A..." ?

Perhaps it comes from living in Canada. We know that we need to buy summer tires, and we know that we also need to buy winter tires. We know that those people that buy only 'a' singular set of "all season" tires are unwise. We learn at an early age that it's sometimes better to drop the assumption of singularity.

How cheap do cheap tablets have to get before everyone will drop this assumption of singularity?

Perhaps the spell will be finally broken when they're sold in 'Variety OS 3-packs' for £15.

1. zeke

As someone who lives in Canada and drove on all-season tires on my 4x4 for more than 2 decades going skiing, fishing and visiting family, I call BS on this unwise statement.

What happened is that the automotive industry just increased their tire sales by a lot, thats what happened and people who live in appartments and have their balconies loaded with recycling bins, compost bins, garbage bins are paying $50+ twice a year to get their tires stored on top of the costs of tires. What has happened to (non-alcohol) winter accidents numbers since then? Nothing. Stayed the same.

Accepting blindly what you are forced something isnt learning.

Now I can show you numbers that prove that wearing bike helmets do protect you from brain injury but that doenst matter since there is no lobby with enough political power to enforce this.

The good part with the tires thing is that more and more people have stopped having a 2nd car which is a necessity if both spouses work or you have more than 1 child doing sports/activities and replaced it with car sharing services. Its actually better this way and cheaper but that was an unintended consequence.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Aye. Buy good tires. Replace them when they start to go. Today, that's really all you need to do for most of Canada.

All seasons have gotten me through urban driving, all the hiways south of Athabasca in Alberta, and even through white-out blizzard conditions on the Coquihalla. I'm not sure I'd go up a corduroy road on them, but then again I'm pretty sure my wimpy little Scion XB would disintegrate on one of them anyways.

Now, some of this might be due to the fact that if it's stupidly awful outside I can choose to just not travel for a day or two. Benefits of both of us working from home. I doubt it, however. I think things like traction control and ABS probably have more to do with it. That and the fact that we've actually advanced tire design and materials technology rather a lot since the 70s...

3. Sacioz

- " like a turd that wont flush ."A neat analogy , befitting Redmont .

4. Mpeler
      Coat

"turd that won't flush" (flash?)

And all the RT users are saying "here I sit, broken-hearted; came to boot, never started"...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who in Their Right Mind....

Would buy locked down crap?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who in Their Right Mind....

Billions of iPhone, Android, PlayStation and other locked down crap like that are being used on a daily basis.

End-user digital freedoms ? Nobody seems to care about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You can (generally) root your Android devices. No idea what those two niche terms you used might refer to...

2. Avatar of They
        FAIL

But all three of your examples are still supported and so have value. M$ fondle slabs. Erm... Don't

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
          FAIL

Re: Who in Their Right Mind.... @Avatar

"But all three of your examples [Billions of iPhone, Android, PlayStation] are still supported and so have value. M$ fondle slabs. Erm... Don't

Maybe you didn't read the article - RT is supported until 2017 or 2018. So surely it has some value.

No Android device ever has had support for as long as even these RT devices have already had. Would you say that any Android device from 2012 (birth of RT) are without any value?

1. Vince

Actually I quite liked Win RT - it worked perfectly well on my Yoga 11 - and my other half and I used it often. Unfortunately the hardware bit the dust - the storage chips blew and so that was that.

Had that not happened, early 2013 through to 2018 with "supported" status doesn't seem too bad really given the current throwaway hardware world we live in

2. HelpfulJohn

"Would you say that any Android device from 2012 (birth of RT) are without any value?"

My lovely little Sony slab from 2012 (probably 2011 tech or even older but I bought it in a Sony shop in 2012), has been running SETI-at-Home, and some of her little friends for more than a year continuously. The last time it was rebooted was due to my router failing and the Android not being able to refind it. After a little tweak, even router drop-outs haven't bothered the Sony.

She has nice things like Kingston Office and VLC, APoD collectors and Calibre for my amusement and she runs smoother than any Windows or Mac box I've ever had, even with SETI chuntering away in the background. She even has access to free teach-yourself-computerry-bits Computer Based Training applications that are fun.

Her only issue, and I'm not sure it is one, is that it won't update the OS. I've never been bothered enough to find out why.

I only mentioned this as an example of an Android slab that is quite functional and even useful even after four or five years. Indeed, she'll probably outlast Civilisation.

2. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

AofT "...still supported and so have value."

It's actually nice when 'Support' ends and the endless flow of software updates and patches finally stops.

A gadget doesn't immediately cease to have value just because 'Support' ends.

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

It's a stupid assumption that someone buying an example of 'locked down crap' couldn't also buy other tablets that aren't 'locked down' to perform other functions. Having several tablets with varying features and different OS ecosystems provides more flexibility.

Who in their right mind makes the daft assumption that they're limited to selecting only one tablet?

NEWS FLASH: You're allowed to own more than one tablet.

NEWS FLASH: They're often cheap as chips.

e.g. Jay Leno owns a Tata Nano car, which is awful. Don't feel sorry for him. He has 200 other cars.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Jeffy - You've made a bloody lot of assumptions in your accusation of me bringing assumptions to the table.

3. Mikel

It was never your device

It's their device. They use it to get you to do what they want you to do. Its purpose is not to serve you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It was never your device

Actually its purpose is to serve you.

"To serve man" --- Om nom nom!

2. MyffyW Silver badge

It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

1. HelpfulJohn

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

"... unless it's running Windows 2029, in which case it'll stop every ten minutes to load massive updates, forget what it was hunting and go for a coffee."

4. Christian Berger

Again, "Secure Boot" is not a security feature...

... the only thing it can secure is business models.

It keeps you from running a minimalistic simple operating system which would be more secure than Windows RT, where you are supposed to run untrustable software from some "App Store" and install updates you cannot control.

1. Nolveys

Re: Again, "Secure Boot" is not a security feature...

It keeps you from running a minimalistic simple operating system which would be more secure than Windows RT

Windows RT should be pretty secure, who in their right mind would bother trying to hack it?

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

RT abandonded by MS, no upgrade route

Then, out of nowhere, an update to stop people doing something useful with it.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: RT abandonded by MS, no upgrade route

There's probably a legal case in there if someone's willing to pursue it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: RT abandonded by MS, no upgrade route

Is that one of those lawsuits where the lawyer gets $10 million, and everyone else gets a $2 voucher off your next purchase of Microsoft cloud storage?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

There's probably a legal case...

Wouldn't that require a customer?

6. kryptylomese

Microsoft send an incoherent message

But "Microsoft Love's Linux".....

1. MacroRodent

Re: Microsoft send an incoherent message

But "Microsoft Love's Linux".....

When they see an advantage in doing so, like in cloudy stuff, where Linux currently rules (the "embrace" phase). So there is no inconsistency.

Anyway, from Microsoft's point of view, this was about fixing a bug. Supporting Linux on these tablets was never promised.

7. Chika
    Trollface

Heh

That's what they want you to believe...

8. Robin Bradshaw

Im sure both windows RT tablet owners will be very upset by this.

1. James 139

Totally!

Oh wait, I'm not upset.

To be upset, I'd have to actually charge my RT tablet, and want to run something else on it.

I don't see it as a big loss. Far better things to run Linux on than an old RT tablet.

9. Teiwaz

A poor message...

From the supposedly 'new' 'Open Source friendly' Microsoft.

They'd rather see all their failed RT tablets end up in 'landfill' than be re-purposed with something more flexible.

They may still be officially supported, but I doubt very much RT is on the map for any work short of bugfixes like this 'mine mine mine, and you can't have it'.

They should be studying what 'linux or any replacement is like on it and taking notes.

1. jelabarre59

Re: A poor message...

Well, if it weren't for all the Waylaid/Mir and various Display Manager groups going out of their way to destroy XDMCP, you could load a stripped-down XServer on them, and use it as a "wireless xterminal" to a *REAL* system. Put all your applications, files and media on the machine in your home office, and sit in the living room with your re-purposed SurfRT, and you've got something way lighter than most laptops, yet still have access to whatever you want.

10. splod2

Actually good

The Surface 2 (non-pro) is actually quite good. If you understand the limitations - that you're not going to get all the apps and no other windows programs work - the tablet is fast and capable. Wierdly the metro interface works well on it (even with a windows 10 style start button now if you want) and you're pretty much immune to viruses and attacks as it isn't x86 and heavily locked down. The Tegra 4 ticks along fine, full office 2013 with Outlook, you can tweak it like normal Windows. The biggest limitiation is IE11 - the metro version feels fine but will no doubt be the first thing to cause issues out of support as newer features become more important. Great camera, well built, good battery, proper USB 3 port and microSD and lovely screen. For a surfing/emailing/office thing it's an anomaly. And it won't get updated to Win10 so there's a bonus.

11. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Daft assumption inherent in many reactions

I have a Surface 2 Win RT tablet. It's lovely and is my favorite tablet for downloading videos and watching them later. The screen is generous, gorgeous image quality, good sound quality, has an SD slot, and it fills that niche perfectly. It was only $300 shipped, and has earned its keep many times over. It's so lovely that I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good used spare if I ever see one for under $100.

Too many unthinking dim bulbs have this inane unspoken assumption that everyone is permitted to own only one tablet. They assume that if someone has (in this example) a Windows RT tablet, that they're somehow 'trapped' and 'can't do this' and 'can't do that'. They express sympathy for, or anger at, the inherent limitations of the RT version of Windows.

It's a monumentally stupid reaction.

The 'sympathy' or 'anger' reaction is like 'feeling sorry for' or mocking Jay Leno because he owns a horrible Tata Nano car. Yeah, but he's got 200 other cars, so this reaction is daft.

In my case, I have nearly a dozen tablets and similar gadgets. They were all cheap as chips, and each fills its own niche. If I feel the need for the full Windows experience, then I'll pick up either the Win 8 or Win 10 tablet. Apple, Blackberry, Android, etc. There's a whole stack of them...

What's the origin of this subtle assumption that everyone must carefully select only one tablet, carefully optimised in every detail? It's a daft assumption and leads to stupid reactions.

People arguing about the pros and cons, never even imagining that they're allowed to buy one of each.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Daft assumption inherent in many reactions

Tablets are not "cheap as chips" in many peoples view - for many people one tablet (if any) is all they can afford as they have other priorities to spend their cash on first

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

tig... "...one tablet (if any) is all they can afford..."

BALONEY. Read their words. They can "only afford" nothing but the finest tablet money can buy. They turn up their noses at anything less than the finest £1000+ Surface, or whatever their OS religiin demands. That's exactly their point. They're Tablet OS snobs.

Your attempted rebuttal is apologists' nonsense.

And you've missed or ignored my fundamental point too.

2. Teiwaz

For a lot of people, a device for "downloading videos and watching them later." is not usually a device that deserves to be considered to have "earned its keep many times over".

Clearly you have far more disposable income than most, and by the Jay Leno reference thrown in, I'm assuming your American (so is it cheap as chips,crisps or micro-chips (not the edible ones by McCainn)?). This side of the pond, often the price is converted to sterling by merely changing the currency sign.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

His American what?

your != you're

Also can't help thinking ewe missed yore own point!...

Thought yew were going too point out two our (American?) friend that Mr Leno has 200 cars because there "cheap as chips" two him... but that's (also) absurdly alien to ordinary hominid types... who typically don't each own hundreds of cars...

Perhaps ewe distracted yaw self wile offloading you're weird "yew don't no what chips are" chip?

2. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

@Teiwaz ""earned its keep""

The Surface 2 was only $300 Cdn delivered (about £175 at the time).

If I take a Sharpie, cross out 'Surface 2' and write in 'Wifi-enabled Portable Internet TV' then it has already found an important purpose and earned its price. In Canada, like the USA, the local TV is 99% mindless rubbish. To access quality programing in English, one needs to find UK / BBC programs left lying around on the 'net. The Surface 2, even 'labouring' under the heavy burden of the 'horrific' Windows RT OS, performs this chore to perfection. It's already provided endless hours of education and entertainment. It's earned its keep.

It does other things too, but it excels at video playback.

If you read those other grumbling posts carefully, you'll see that most of them presuppose that one may only own one gadget. If the gadget has any limitations whatsoever, these OS snobs can't conceive of reaching over to pick up a different gadget.

Theirs is an idiotic assumption, which is my point.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

No, they prepropose that one may own one's gadget.

If the software a device is running reaches end-of-life, why shouldn't the owner be able to stick another OS on it? Are you going to tell them they shouldn't put Linux on an old desktop PC or Cyanogen on an old mobile phone either?

If Samsung suddenly pushed out updates which locked down the bootloader on obviously unsupported devices then that would also be viewed as a shitty move by most.

12. Mahhn

Return to birth place

Repurposing old hardware for education has always been a thing, but not with this junk. When I was in tech school we received old PCs to do everything from learning soldering skills to building PCs with various OSs. But now they are just good for polluting.

Best bet when they break/age is to mail them to MS with no return address. After a few thousand they will get the hint.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Return to birth place

Take a Sharpie, cross out 'Surface 2' and write in 'Wifi-enabled Portable Internet TV'. Plug in a huge SD Memory Card. Install the Copytube (a.k.a. Downtube) app. Get a nice set of headphones.

You fill the SD card with all sorts of TV series or videos. The battery lasts all day. The image and sound quality are great. Near zero 'net 'security' threats.

It'll become one of your favourite gadgets (assuming that you have others).

If you live in a 4 sq ft closet and only have room for one gadget, then toss it.

13. Alan Denman

Microsoft just made the device RT

Right Terminal.

Nowhere to go now but in the bin.

14. YARR

Like for like

When Windows RT devices stop receiving updates they wont cease functioning; they will just be at greater risk of remote exploits. Most no-name Android devices never received security updates at all. Apple iOS devices and many Android devices from big-name brands also only receive updates for a limited time. Likewise you can't install Linux on most Android or iOS-devices. So all these excuses to attack Microsoft should in fairness be directed equally at all these platforms.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Like for like

Win RT is so rare that 'exploits' are not something I'd spend much time worrying about.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

But very few push out an update to lock down devices just before EOL after years of nothing. That's what's wrong.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is why we should call it GNU/Linux; the only thing "desktop Linux" aka GNU/Linux and Android have in common is the Linux kernel. So yeah, you are already running Linux on your Android phone and you can even chroot (without rooting the device) to run a whole GNU/Linux distro, for example Debian.

15. Tom 7

Does this mean RT slabs are officially netbooks now?

I wonder if you can mod it to put a Pi3 inside?

16. rkarolak

Considering that most RT tablets probably don't get a lot of usage these days Microsoft should throw users a bone and allow the tablet to be opened up so users who would otherwise not care to use their RT tablet again can find new life in it. It's not like we'll be seeing an ARM edition of Windows 10.

I get that they want to patch vulnerabilities, but seriously, they should just give the option for users to easily get admin access to the system and unlock the boot loader. Maybe give a giant warning to users that doing this may open up security 'vulnerabilities', so there isn't any misunderstanding of the consequences. Maybe do something similar to what Chromebooks do when you enable developer mode.

1. Richard Plinston

> It's not like we'll be seeing an ARM edition of Windows 10.

What CPU do you think that Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 IoT (on RaspberryPi) run on ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like