back to article Google's Nexii stand tall among Android's insecure swill

Nexus devices are, unsurprisingly, the most secure Androids, says security outfit Duo. The devices are regarded as Google's flagship Android device on account of its operating system running the stock Android open source project (AOSP). Android phones from other manufacturers nearly always add custom modifications and are …

1. DryBones

Some of us...

are running Nougat!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Some of us...

Yes, but being a pre-release developer preview, it may let you boast about your version number, it's likely less secure/more risky than running the stable Marshmallow build.

1. whoelse

Re: Some of us...

Except it's patched monthly over the air by Google. Build 3 was publicly made available as an OTA beta for anyone on newer Nexii to try and it's patched at the same monthly cadence. Nice.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Blackberry Priv and Copperhead phones are probably the most secure of the android phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Until Blackberry goes under

Then the updates stop.

1. Tomato42
        Flame

Re: Until Blackberry goes under

@DougS you mean just like the 3 year cadence of the Nexus devices?

'cause it's exactly what google is doing, they drop support for "Nexii" like a hot potato right after the 3 year mark

it's a shitfest, all of it

1. bitkahuna

who keeps a phone more than 3 years? lol

2. asdf

>it's a shitfest, all of it

I have found Android to be perfect for a secondary back up phone(primary phone an iPhone works pays for and got just so I would be jacking with roms on it, need it to just work). I got an old Galaxy Nexus for near nothing and can still get Cyanogenmod 13 updated roms off XDA for it. Encrypt it slap F-Droid on it with no user accounts and you got yourself a good bathroom/bathtub phone. Still the only Android phones I would ever buy both in or out of warranty are the Nexus line because they are the ones you will be able to get the aftermarket roms for the longest.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

And until the people doing Copperhead get bored with doing what Google should have done.

3. WonkoTheSane
    Trollface

First AND second!

The Nexus 6P IS a Huawei.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: First AND second!

Yeah, but like many phones it's an assembly of bits from Qualcomm, Sony and Samsung (SoC, camera, screen). Who has actually glued them together matters less (in this context) than the understanding you have with the vendor, Google.

Huaweii don't sell a phone under their own name that resembles the Nexus 6P, as was the case with some earlier Nexii and LG, and also they are fond of putting their own skin on Android.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huawei?

I'm pleasantly surprised by that fact - internet hearsay has that "chinese crap" somewhere near the bottom.

If only they'd offer vanilla Android on their own branded devices for the export market (I understand why they don't for the domestic market btw).

1. Preston Munchensonton

Re: Huawei?

When my Nexus 5 died, I bought a Nexus 6P and it feels like a very premium handset. Performance is excellent, given the lack of bloatware.

2. asdf

Re: Huawei?

>If only they'd offer vanilla Android on their own branded devices

Too lazy to look but from what I understand Motorola are about the only ones to offer a largely vanilla AOSP non Nexus phone correct?

5. prismatics

How about iPhone

1. caffeine addict

How would iPhone be relevant to an article on Android Security?

2. Adam 1

iPhone isn't even in the top 10 when it comes to running the latest patch on marshmallow.

1. Vector
        Facepalm

@Adam 1

I'm not crying, I'm laughing so hard it just looks that way!

6. Thatguyfromthatforum

"Users often keep their mobile phones for multiple years, so making the right security choice when buying sets you up to be protected against new threats for years to come." Which is why after 7 years of android I joined the fruity crowd. Customise whatever you like on android, but for me security trumps any cosmetic benefits.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

And still some stuff you can't customise on Android, or at least there are little niggles that can't be cured, any more than you can 'customise' an iPhone to use the FM radio functionality built into its Qualcomm modem.

When listening to Google Play or Spotify on Android, adjusting the volume from the handset results in some unpleasant 'plop' noises, even if playing through a Chromecast Audio device. Why would anyone want their music interrupted by this loud beeping? Strangely, this irritating behaviour doesn't occur in the BBC iPlayer Radio app. It just seems strange that Google have pushed Google Play music, developed and sold Chromecast hardware - yet haven't removed this rough edge, something that would be trivial for them to do yet impossible for a user to fix.

1. Steve Evans

"When listening to Google Play or Spotify on Android, adjusting the volume from the handset results in some unpleasant 'plop' noises"

Really? I live on spotify, earbuds on the train/plane or bluetoothed to my car. Never heard a pop from from changing the volume on either my phone (Nexus 6) or tablet (Nexus 7 2013).

Both work perfectly with my original Chromecast too.

Sounds like a driver/hardware issue with whatever device you have... Name and shame?

1. Preston Munchensonton

Sounds like a driver/hardware issue with whatever device you have... Name and shame?

Same here. Never had an issue with the audio quality on any of my Nexus devices (Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5, and Nexus 6P). My only niggle with bluetooth has been fixed for a long time, as Google used to run a very outdated stack that wouldn't pass track info.

2. asdf

careful

Agreed iPhone for many is kind of the way to go but don't think Apple will hesitate to pull support to get you to reup your pricey membership in the cool kids club. After all they ended up only supporting the original iPad for only a shade over two years. What can be annoying also about Apple's support is they can be rather ambiguous up front on how long they will support a product. That said from what I have seen you will get updates at least as long as Google promises on the Nexus.

7. Pen-y-gors

Yes, but, no, but...

My first-gen Nexus 7 is very secure. That's because the latest Android updates are so big and massive that it runs like a dog and is pretty well useless. Even reading an e-book sometimes takes seconds for the page to turn.

To be honest I'm have preferred an Android version that was a little less secure but could actually cope with the hardware. Shame on you Google!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Yes, but, no, but...

Yep.

Because I don't have banking apps, Amazon accounts etc on my Android phone, I rate performance over security. I therefore don't install updates as soon as they arrive, but instead wait a month and see how other users have reported adverse effects of the update, such as greater power draw or slower performance. That was before I broke the screen on my flagship Sony, tho.

Now I'm using a 'good enough' (i.e not irritating) Huaweii that I bought half price for £45... and should I drop it or loose it in six month's time, there will be no tears. In two years time, £50 should get me a very capable phone, or £100 a very good one. Therefore it doesn't make sense to me spending £400 on a flagship spec phone just so that it be 'future proof'.

8. kryptonaut
    Headmaster

No-o-o-o!

Please, don't use 'Nexii' as the plural of 'Nexus'!

It's a long time since I studied Latin but this construction makes me cringe. Go with 'Nexi' if you must, but 'Nexii' is like Romanised Gollum-speak.

Nexus is to Nexii as Tablet is to Tabletses.

And don't get me started on 'virii' or 'fungii'...

</rant>

1. caffeine addict
      Coat

Re: No-o-o-o!

Presumably the connections between mushroom viruses would be a nexii of fungii virii...?

1. kryptonaut

Nasty, stinking mushroomses. We hates them, with their horrid germses and connectionses.

1. Old Yank

Roald Dahl would be proud!

2. Slx

The plural, oddly enough, is nexūs.

Or, outside of obscure academic texts just nexus

A nexus, two nexus, seventy-four-and-a-half nexus.

9. Rob Crawford

Having switch to using a Nexus last year I am fairly happy with the update situation these days.

However I had an unlocked Samsung S4 and was getting almost monthly updates which cheered me up.

However those who are locked to carriers are pretty much doomed because carriers obstruct updates to keep their bloatware in place (don't tell me it's for network compatibility)

Samsung are not blameless for not so good updates but carriers should also be held to account

1. Steve Evans

Ah yes, updates blocked for network compatibility... Yet in the last 6 months, my unlocked, and constantly updated Nexus has been on O2 in the UK, T-Mobile in Italy, Vodafone in the Netherlands and I have no idea what it was in Poland (£3, 4G and 4gig of data IIRC - Don't ask me, Polish friends just said "What size sim do you need", and nipped across the road to the supermarket!).

Networks need to learn to be dumb pipes. They add no value, just hurdles.

10. jelabarre59

Samsung

Wow, Samsung is only in 5th place? I would have expected something more like 10th or 15th...

1. JLV
      Paris Hilton

Re: Samsung

Agree. Therefore, funny that Salesforce is making them the reference Android, innit? Wonder what they're smoking thinking.

11. Anonymous Vulture
    Megaphone

Nexii do not run AOSP

At least not when they are purchased and still running the "stock" OS they are not.

From the AOSP website: "After building an Android compatible device, consider licensing Google Mobile Services (GMS), Google’s proprietary suite of apps (Google Play, YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail, and more ) that run on top of Android. GMS is not part of the Android Open Source Project and is available only through a license with Google."

Applications like Hangouts do not run on a stock AOSP system. You need GMS. When you buy a Nexus device from Google directly, or from any "usual" provider, it comes not only with what is included in AOSP, but GMS and its components as well as any binaries needed to run important bits and bobs like Wi-Fi or GPS.

Sorry for the pedantic rant, but the fact that Google contributes very little of what your average user considers to be integral Android functionality back to AOSP gets my goat. Even if it is it their right.

1. asdf

Re: Nexii do not run AOSP

>but the fact that Google contributes very little of what your average user considers to be integral Android functionality back to AOSP gets my goat.

Yeah Google and Silicon Valley subverting the spirit of the GPL by keeping the largely open source software services internal are what prompted Stallman to push v3.

12. JulieM Silver badge

Nexii?

What is a Nexius?

13. asdf

problem with Nexus

Wasn't their an article on here recently about how I think it was Qualcomm had a nasty security related firmware bug that the NSA were drooling over that was fixed in most phone but not in the Nexus line? Guess I could go research that but fsck its the weekend.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Newbies

Clearly "Duo" (whoever they are - twins that took a fat envelope would be my guess) are tech newbies. Someone want to tell them that you don't need the latest OS to mean you are patched. They seem to think you do. Google release security patches for 6,5.1,5 and 4.4.. #fail

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like