back to article Capita redundo staff: We are free at last, free at last… at the end of this month

More than a year after Capita initiated redundancies at its O2 call centres, the staff based in the Glasgow offices are finally set to exit the building at the end of this month. A call for volunteers to leave the business was first made in June 2015, and a couple of months later 700 of those placed at risk put their hands up …

1. djstardust

Outsourcing

Is the worst thing to happen to this country. Employees are treated as pawns whilst the companies are busy "increasing shareholder value"

Companies like Crapita, G4S etc have been supported by the government and become very, very powerful despite many high profile clusterfucks.

When I tweeted Tesco Mobile about them moving their CS team to Crapita, this is the canned response I got .....

"We are committed to ensuring we continue to deliver great experiences for all of our customers with our new Partner"

Good luck ex Tesco staff (and Tesco Mobile customers)!

1. John Mangan

Re: Outsourcing

I'm torn.

In principle I can see the benefits of out-sourcing to employers and employees; areas of competence, possibilities for career progression, efficinecies, etc.

In practice, what you said.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the staff based in the Glasgow offices are finally set to exit the building "

So that's what O2 meant by no longer outsourcing to third world countries... At least we might be able to understand what their call centre staff say now!

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"We are committed to ensuring we continue to deliver great experiences for all of our customers with our new Partner"

Translation: Shut up and just keep paying us.

4. Fungus Bob

Re: Outsourcing Is the worst thing to happen to this country

Outsourcing isn't the real problem. Individuals and small businesses outsource all the time when we do things like take our cars to mechanics or hire book keeping or housecleaning services - we would rather pay someone else to to the jobs that we lack the resources to do properly. Economists call this a Good Thing.

Offshoring is where it all goes in the crapper because Henry Ford was right when he realized that his employees were also his customers. This is true for every business, directly or indirectly, their employees are also their customers. Put another way, the economy does not create jobs, the economy *is* jobs so sending jobs far, far away shrinks the economy. Economists call this concept Utter Shit.

Fuck the economists.

2. Steve Todd

Has no one figured the correlation

Between crap telephone support and customers trying other routes? Provide crap support and surprise surprise people will stop wasting their time trying to use it.

1. Triggerfish

Re: Has no one figured the correlation

It does remind me of stories on the Reg about shadow IT, if you cannot provide what your users want they will find something else. Except these customers are locked in so are trying the web route because call centres and how call centre metrics are set out are not focused on the customer or service.

After all if you are going to get fobbed off, getting it done via web page is a lot less painful than having to sit and lsten to some awful hold music, interspersed with ads telling you how great the service is.

3. Alien8n

There's a reason...

There's a reason no one tries phoning O2, it's because it takes over an hour to get through to someone, regardless of whether you're trying to order a phone or asking for help. I have to support over 50 users all on O2 contracts and they rank alongside BT as one of the worst companies I have to deal with. It took 3 years before we finally got O2 to set us up with a dedicated account manager who we now email direct and for any support and activations we deal direct online. I simply refuse to call them now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There's a reason...

re. There's a reason no one tries phoning O2, it's because it takes over an hour to get through to someone

If I were cynical I would call it "planned obsolescence" (of telephone support). But I'm not cynical, nosir, I truly believe they outsource to "further improve" customer service, blah blah blah. Like fuck.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like