back to article Purloined password re-use checker pees in the security soup

Lazy password reusers are at even higher risk of having accounts compromised following the publication of a proof-of-concept tool that can quickly test credentials against a host of sites. The work is the penmanship of Netsuite security bod Philip O'Keefe who uploaded his tool dubbed Shard to GitHub. Shard tests shared …

1. Mark 85

I have very mixed feelings about security researchers posting tools such as these. There's nothing stopping the miscreants from using them so it's like a gift to runamok.

I should add, that while the research is needed, I have no idea how to keep it out of the wrong hands.

1. Andrew Commons

It's an obvious attack

I would assume that any 'miscreant' worth their salt was on to this long ago.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Joke

I use the same password everywhere but they won't get me.

I use a different username/identity on each site! Hah!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For reasons like this.

I have a bank of passwords.

On forums and other sites that don't process CC details etc, I use one login and one password across hundreds of forums and "low value" sites.

Breaching those poses no danger as they cant access any more important data like emails, DOB, addresses as I use disposable emails to register em and false details for the sites.

Bank sites etc I have FAR stronger pass phrases so even if they reverse hash with rainbow tables they are still unlikely to discover my real passwords.

I must be doing something right since I haven't been hacked in 35+ years of BBS/Net use.

3. Oengus

Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Wow, 5 sites I don't have any logins to...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Once again, it's less of a risk to use a password manager ...

Just checked and my 400+ various online accounts are all protected with a unique, PM generated garbage complex password. Upperlower case, numeral, special character as long as possible.

Even if the site at the other end stores passwords in plaintext (and how do you know they don't ?) having sight of any single password of mine is of no use cracking any other site.

Plus all my financials are covered with various 2FAs, as is the password manager itself.

Now I am not naive enough to even remotely consider myself unhackable. However, like the 2 campers in the outback. I don't have to outrun the crocodile. I just have to outrun my companion .....

1. Andrew Commons

Re: Once again, it's less of a risk to use a password manager ...

When PINs became unavoidable on credit/debit cards on this big island I reduced said cards to a minimal set where I could remember the PINs. While I was cancelling a card, in a Bank, the young person handling the transaction asked why I was doing this. I explained. They recommended that I use the same PIN on all my cards...it worked for them.

No amount of education seems to change this and the transactional middlemen - both black and white(ish) - do nothing to discourage it because they are making a killing.

5. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    WTF?

Why is a tool this trivial to write

Considered newsworthy?

1. DNTP

Re: Why is a tool this trivial to write

It's newsworthy because the large segment of users who use the exact same password for ten different services is highly correlated with the segment of users who don't realize that it is possible to set up an automated tool like this in the first place.

6. earl grey
    FAIL

SHARD sounds like SHAT

As in, I SHARD in the pool.

Thanks a load.

1. FredBloggs61

Re: SHARD sounds like SHAT

Wow, some accent you got there buddy?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like