back to article Google aims to train two million Indian Android devs by 2018

Google will train two million Android developers across India over the next three years. Mountain View will provide complete training in its Android operating system under a new program that is paired with the Modi Government's "Skill India" program. The course kicks off with Android Developer Fundamentals available in …

1. Thatguyfromthatforum

Yet in Europe students are still advised (luckily not in my case) that learning to program is a worth while task which you should pay 9k fees for three years. Zero point when companies are outsourcing in such a major way. Quantity and quality doesn't happen, and having worked with many Indians in many projects I can say I wish Google all the best.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Digital. Skills.

Let's break it down. It's got digital, which means it futuristic. White domes, quasi-futuristic clothing, minority report glove interfaces. That sort of thing.

Then there's skills. Skills are obviously good for the ailing economy.

We need to get kids to get interested in programming. There's three key factors to this. First give them a raspberry Pi. Second make them play minecraft (even though it's not cool anymore).

Third and most importantly, we need to make programming sexy. The only way to do that is with a reality TV show in the style of the Apprentice, where Linus gives young coders a bollocking for using the wrong comment syntax, before revoking their commit privilege and sending them home in a taxi.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Digital. Skills.

The Linus Show

Yes, I'd watch that.

2. RudyF

Hmm ... Syntax error?

So you don't want Europeans to learn to code and you also are against outsourcing? Hmm...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android training lesson one

How to ask for all the permissions. Including the ones you don't need.

3. Dr Scrum Master

Wikipedia indicates that there are 754 universities in India.

So the 2000 universities must be 2000 worldwide... unless Google are including all the made-up ones with their made-up degrees, as opposed to the real universities with purchased degrees rather than earned degrees.

4. Mike 137 Silver badge

The Way Forward

Embrace Zombie - the new innovative development framework that allows you to generate terabytes of code without thinking at all. We plan to train 10 million Zombie developers worldwide by this time next year.

Oooops - too late, we already have them...

5. Stoneshop
    Big Brother

Google aims to train two million Indian Android devs

Google aims to train two million Indian Androids, rather.

There, FTFY

6. Warm Braw

Two million trained by 2018...

... and by 2019 all the commonly-used APIs will be deprecated/obsolete and they'll have to start again.

I'd hate to be an Adroid developer with allergies - every time you sneeze Google seems to change something.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Millions of pieces of crap coming to a phone near you soon.

Oh my deity.

8. Stella Duvel

I can't see this ending well...

The one thing I always found with Bangalore was a feeling that the engineers knew it all, despite not having read the written documentation.

Which I suppose marches well with Android, somehow

9. Denarius
    Trollface

best news ever

for Cyanogen, QNX, ghosts of Palms Past...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alphabet: A Great American Corporation

we want to contribute to the Skill India initiative and help make India the global leader in mobile app development," Sengupta said./

So Google (or Alphabet) want unfettered access to developed world markets, want a US listing, the protection of the US government and the rank US legal system....but it then wants to make India the leader in mobile app development. I suppose most Western manufacturing jobs have already disappeared to China, many IT and white collar jobs to India, and at least Google is open and transparent that it wants to convert America to a country of unemployed serfs, and very rich tech barons.

Perhaps some our Yank commentards could share their positive feelings on Google flying the flag for the US of A in this manner?

1. Mark 85

Re: Alphabet: A Great American Corporation

Perhaps some our Yank commentards could share their positive feelings on Google flying the flag for the US of A in this manner?

No. Or at least nothing positive here. Frankly, I'm rather disgusted by just about every American corporate (tech or otherwise) I can think of. I question if they have looked ahead to everyone being out of a job because everything has been outsourced... who here will buy their products?

OTOH, maybe Google is planning on opening a massive tech support call center: "I'm Boob, you have virus on your phone. I am degreed in the these phones. Give me credit card and I will fix it."...

11. Christian Berger

So that'll be 1.99 million unemployable people in a couple of years

Seriously you should not learn APIs as if they were something important. You should learn how to solve problems, then you can look into the API and learn the few bits you actually need.

Learning an API will just teach you about tools and you'll try to fit your problem around those tools... which usually results in those horrible software we see from so many "single language / single platform" developers.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So when are google building the first android dev sweatshops? 2017?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just as soon as they have stopped trying to steal the election. Or, even sooner, if they succeed :P

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like