back to article 175-year-old in storage deal

The UK’s Westminster University is using Arkivum Perpetua to safeguard global access to its 175-year-old collection of digital and digitised records. Arkivum offers archive as a service (AaaS) based on escrow-based guaranteed IBM LTO tape storage in its cloud. Three copies of the data are stored, backed up by indemnity …

1. gypsythief

Is this an article...

...or an advert?

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: Is this an article...

> ...or an advert?

It's clearly an advert. Can anyone recommend a better adblocker?

1. james 68

Personally, I am curious about the existence of a "175-year-old collection of digital and digitised records".

Either they're calling it digital because it contains numbers (literally digits) or they had access to some damned advanced technology for the time.

Though it is also possible that the author is an utter pillock who meant to write "a digital collection created from 175 years of records". But rather than straight up calling him a berk I think I'll take him at his word, it's more fun that way.

1. MondoMan
          Thumb Up

El Reg's comments are a great source of "colorful" English expressions for those of us who live far away. The words containing "k" pack special punch when spoken!

2. ZenCoder

I found it newsworthy.

The company is offering something that I found interesting to learn about. Considering how much in IT is "use at your own risk" it's refreshing to learn that they are "backed up by indemnity insurance". Meaning that data loss will be backed up with financial penalties.

3. TWB

Insurance

While it is good to hear they are "putting their money where their mouth is" as it were, if I get them to store my data and they lose it, all the money in the world may be of no use to me if all I really want is my data back.

1. Oengus

Re: Insurance

Who gets to value the data? After recent dealings with insurance companies I find all they want to do is to negotiate you down to their valuation (not what they have been ordered to pay).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon