back to article 1 in 20 Wendy's burger joints hacked? No, make that 1 in 3 – 1,025 in total

Wendy's has 'fessed up that the malware infection in its cash registers, first thought to have impacted 300 restaurants, hit more like 1,000 outlets, and says an unnamed service provider let the attackers into its systems. The American fast-food chain has owned up that the number of its stores in the US with bank-card snooping …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's an idea if you are on the list

"Is this the only thing a voice in the head ever tells these people to do is to kill others? Doesn't a voice ever tell a guy? Go take a dump on the salad bar at Wendy's?." - George Carlin

2. redpawn

Where's the Bits?

Where's the Bits? There's no Bits in these registers.

3. PAKennedy

Just looking through the results on the random ones I've checked on their page. The damned thing has been on most of them for 5 months! How can you have every customer record spewing out for that long and not have someone make the correlation?

1. Mark 85

How can you have every customer record spewing out for that long and not have someone make the correlation?

How? Simple.... you take security seriously but put Bob the Janitor in charge of security. Bob, because he's a) cheap and b) used to cleaning up messes.

I will give them one point for confessing up. But I'll take away 10 points for them being idiots.

2. paulf
      Facepalm

"How can you have every customer record spewing out for that long and not have someone make the correlation?"

Someone did make the correlation but it was the banks who were alerted to the suspicious reimbursing people for fraudulent card use (those that actually bother to check their CC bills, plenty don't and probably don't even realise they're paying for fraudulent transactions on their cards).

I'd like to think that if the banks threatened a retailer like Wendy's with "If this happens again no more card transactions at all at any of your premises until you cover all our losses+costs+extra random charges as punishment)" companies would take security on corporate computers/networks/EFTPOS terminals seriously etc as they'd face the direct costs of their otherwise lackadaisical approach.

But that's not going to happen while the Banks are busy figuring out how to get muggins innocent card holder to cough up for the losses caused by the retailer cutting corners because I can't prove my innocence.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"If this happens again no more card transactions at all at any of your premises until you cover all our losses+costs+extra random charges as punishment)"

Just remove the "If this happens again" bit. Then they don't need to deal with the card-holders one by one. It'd be a lot easier - costs recouped and merchant hit with large clue-bat, all in one.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Force Wendy's to be a cash-only restaurant? They can handle that. Who's next? Keep banning major retailers and you'll soon find nobody uses plastic anymore. Congratulations, you've lost the War on Cash.

I'll chalk this one up as a minor defeat in yet another pointless unwinnable ideological "war".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They downplayed it / lied outright before...

Slurprise... Fucking ...Slurprise...

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

I have no sympathy!

...for people who choose to eat at Wendy's.

1. Bitbeisser

Re: I have no sympathy!

Could be worse, they could eat at McDonalds...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

joke aside, trollin hard core

>Could be worse, they could eat at McDonalds...

Want to know an open secret? McDonald's exists more as a convenient local neighborhood indoor playground that also has what can only be termed food by the loosest definition than as a restaurant. Seriously McDonald's would go bankrupt in a week if they required all people in the store be over 18. Besides kids and parents the only clientèle left is bums and McDonald's serves the wrong thing in its brown paper bags to survive long on that market.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: Tried it?

I'm just GUESSING, but I think that means no Wendy's in that state had the malware. At least that's how I took it when there were only a few cities in the list for my state, and none of them were my city.

1. Skribblez

Having tried out all the options in the drop-down boxes, what is strange is that now all of the states return only "---Select City---" even though Wendy's says that means no locations in unlisted cities were affected...

Interesting... It seems to work now (3 mins later), so I wonder if there was an issue on the AWS side of things?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I had to unblock an AWS site in noscript for the city part to work.

It says "No restaurants were impacted in this state!" if you pick one of those states, for example Vermont.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like