back to article 'Digital influencers' must disclose paid-for content, says new guidance

Online publishers, bloggers, tweeters and other "digital influencers" must "clearly and prominently" label content they are paid to produce as paid-for promotions, new guidance developed by a body of regulators from around the world has said. The International Consumer Protection and Enforcement Network (ICPEN), in work led by …

1. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

More international nannying...

It's giving me a headache.

Here, take these.

Ah, Nuprin. Little. Yellow. Different.

1. DaveNullstein

Re: More international nannying...

If you don't think a huge segment of the human race needs nannying then you obviously haven't been paying attention.

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Re: More international nannying...

"It's giving me a headache."

That's why they're called "digital influenzas".

2. Ole Juul

change the world?

businesses that "do not engage in misleading practices" could lose trade to companies that do.

That's the state of advertising. As long as people insist on being gullible it's not going to change. How about Nigerian Princes put a disclaimer on their emails?

3. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

In its guidance...it warned that [a report that is] "not based on a genuine user experience" or "displays elements of bias without appropriate disclosure"...can....mislead consumers into "taking decisions … they would not otherwise have taken"

So that's the tabloid press and Brexit, then.

4. Unep Eurobats
    Coat

As a prominent digital influencer myself

I feel I ought to make it quite clear that no one has paid me anything to write this comment.

1. theblackhand

Re: As a prominent digital influencer myself

Dear Sir

I really like the jacket you have in your picture - where can I get one?

Thank you

G Ullabull

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Hmm, now why did the terms "DevOps", "article" and "El Reg" pop up in my mind when I read the headline ...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting

This is going to be hard to enforce. Is there enough room in jails? Commercially Paid Bullshit and outright lies permeate the internet and if everyone doing CPB had to admit it, their credibility would be destroyed and they simply can't have that, right? Hate to say it, but there are examples here at the Reg with all the puff pieces on DevOps and Storage and what not. How are you going to handle that?

There are also a large number of gray areas here. I get paid to train on a set of products and I also comment on posts I run into on multiple sites, but no one pays me for that activity. Do I have to disclose I get paid to train every time I post something that is favorable to the company? What about when I post something that is a pure bitch about the company? " XYZ totally sucks. Disclosure - I am paid by XYZ to train on their products". Is there going to be some central " Truth Registry" where the up to date status on who is doing CPB can be found or where people can turn in anyone for engaging in CPB and operating without the disclaimer? Who verifies that the accusation is valid? What's the consequence for false claims? What's' the consequence for valid claims? How many people are going to be employed to do this? How long does the complaint process take? Will there be a registry of violators? Will it go on their permanent record? Will violations affect their financial credit - they are liars you know? Will they be able to own snakes? Adopt puppies from animal shelters? Inquiring minds want to know.

1. Sirius Lee

Re: Interesting

Why post anonymously? I think the idea of disclosure is good in principle but you point out some of the many valid problems with the suggestion. I'd love to know how many posts are really paid for by Apple/Google/Microsoft/etc.

7. Black Rat

So if the product being reviewed on is a gift or on permanent loan then people don't need to be told?

8. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Joke

Doesn't apply to me

As a Digital Thinkfluencer, I am not bound by these paltry mortal guidelines.

9. FF22

Great idea

But what's next? Will these "regulators" propose to implement the evil bit? Morons.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Guidance"?

Pretty sure this is already flat-out illegal in the USA.

Major shitstorm swirling around Youtube and Steam this week. CSGO Lotto. Will be interesting to see if anyone goes to prison.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like