back to article Android tablets too bitter a pill for Dell

Dell is getting out of the Android tablet market, citing oversaturation and weak overseas demand for a decision to quit offering the operating system on its Venue tablets. The company will also take its Android-based Wyse Cloud Connect stick computer off the shelves. Its response to all comers is to say the market is …

1. Code For Broke

Remarkable! Dell finds itself the maker of yet another dead-end family of commodity items. Have they started making wearables yet? I believe they are due to start soon if not.

2. joed

common sense

Now it's be better yet if they just admitted to that jack of all trades (two in one) was master of none and shipped proper laptop that's not crippled with glossy and thick screen (two layer to make it worse yet).

Even Lenovo is drinking MS prescribed koolaid and messed up x250 into yoga's bastard child (at least they improved t450, t460 is great design where touchscreen is not getting in the way of daily use, but why no t260?).

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

Great marketing by Dell

This story is the first I knew that Dell *MADE* Android tablets.

Where the hell is the targeted advertising that was supposed to let me know about such things?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Great marketing by Dell

On display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard?

Easy to spot right next to the one on Ubuntu Laptops ...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Turn off AdBlock.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Turn off AdBlock.

That is a joke, I hope.

3. mosw

"Where the hell is the targeted advertising that was supposed to let me know about such things?"

It was a chicken-and-egg situation. Dell was to chicken to commit to the market and no one else was egging them on.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Atom based tablets

Dell tablets were based on Intel chips (e.g. Dell Venue 8 is based on Atom Z2580). Intel has announced (April 29th) its getting out of the tablet/smartphone mobile chip market, cancelling Broxton (which were its next Smartphone tablet chips).

So if I was the sort of person to connect dots, I might connect those two dots.

6. P. Lee

In other news

Dell discovers business doesn't need tablets but does need laptops.

Pundits are surprised. No one else is.

7. KroSha

The company will also quit updating Android

Just to, y'know, get a final kick in to those that *did* spend some cash on them. When does the support end?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Re: The company will also quit updating Android

Well by going by about 90% of Androids out there, most companies making android kit give up supporting them as soon as they are sent out the door.

8. zebm

I quit tablets years ago

Am writing this on a Acer C720 ChromeBook, considering getting a new Android aware ChromeBook later in the year

9. Robert E A Harvey

Success requires hard work

Frankly if they put a bit more effort in, they might have sold a few more. They [i]looked[/i] very pretty. But there never were any in PCwhirled, or JohnLewes, so they can't have been that bothered

1. Code For Broke

Re: Success requires hard work

Sorry, but had to do downvote you for the use of strong braces as HTML tag brackets.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: Success requires hard work

good point, well made. I live on too many systems.

10. Richard Plinston

It's all about 'Loyalty'

Microsoft has probably been waving 'Loyalty Discounts' at them: "Be loyal to us or pay retail for every copy of Windows and Office for the machine that you make."

It work for netbooks, it worked for HP WebOS.

11. Captain DaFt

And a Dell PR rep said:

"Well, Brexit seemed like a good idea, so we thought we'd try 'Drexit. What could possibly go wrong?"

12. fmillmd
    Megaphone

Pooh on Dell

I have mostly liked Dell machines since the earliest days since I am an oldster geek.

But, Dell's abandoning of what I perceive to be a growing market, Android/ChromeOS merged based better OS based machines from tablets to computers to be very short sighted and a real surprise as I thought (wrongly I now think) Dell had better foresight into market dynamics which they demonstrated years ago getting into servers and other moves.

But now I think the best market for me and for many others as I have gotten into building and refurbishing boxes for lots of my friends for enjoyment, and which is totally different from my work (I am an inpatient psychiatrist dealing with the most ill patient populations but by choice as I very much enjoy it) is that THE BEST MARKET of Dell computer is the AFTERMARKET, used boxes, eBay, their own used and refurb site and numerous other sites and middlemen companies that deal in the now almost millions of increasingly recyled boxes as the market changes and a growing percentage of customers NO LONGER need cutting edge machines. And even gamers are showing growing interest in buying old boxes and then repopulating with new mobos, and PSUs. SSD drives and especially graphic cards that are near or at the cutting edge.

So double pooh on Dell.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like