back to article Wannabe West Midlands gun smuggler jailed for ten months

A West Midlands man who bought gun parts on the so-called Dark Web has been sentenced to 10 months in prison. Moynul Haque, 21, paid about £900 in Bitcoins for the slide, barrel and recoil spring of a Glock 9mm pistol. The unnamed seller hid the parts in an antique radio and posted it to Haque from an address in Michigan. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Serf's up

What's wrong with this guy!? Doesn't he know only criminals have guns in England?

1. hplasm
      Angel

Re: Serf's up

Sure he does- he's in jail for having (bits of ) one.

2. Graham Marsden
      Facepalm

Re: Serf's up

Time to arrest all those firearms-trained Police Officers...

2. Hollerithevo

Worth the money...

...to be able to pose in front of your mirror with a deadly weapon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Worth the money...

Pathetic, right?

And meanwhile the real men are out gunning down Kafirs in nightclubs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if you can 3d print the rest of it - did they check for extruders?

4. JustNiz

Wow £900 ($1250 or so) and 10 months in prison for what I can legally buy for maybe $300 at a store just down the street. Go Murika.

1. Sgt_Oddball

True.

But then when was the last time we heard of someone rampaging with a pistol in the UK? Or being killed by their toddler who got hold of a gun?

There's a reason they've come down so hard on him for attempting to own something deemed dangerous and illegal (without sufficient clearance and firearms training).

2. StargateSg7

$300 ???

What is that? a .38 Saturday Night Special?

If it ain't my $600+ Glock-21, Colt 45 or Sig Sauer

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g21-gen4

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-1/

https://www.colt.com/series/COMMANDER_SERIES

It ain't a real handgun!

BUT THEN I would add this one!!!

And cuz of the Hotties with Gunz Photos:

'MERICUH !!!

EFF YEAH !!!!

http://gunivore.com/top-5-lists/best-50-bmg-rifles/

---

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Judge Peter Barrie, said: "You turned £900 into bitcoins to pay. Spending that sort of money by someone not in work is not something that can be treated as idle curiosity or as the result of trying to look cool with friends. I find it all rather baffling."

Dear Judge Peter Barrie,

£57.35 per week based on age and N.I. contributions would mean the defendant would have to not spend one single penny for 16 weeks to gain £900 without even taking into account bitcoin exchange rates. So if you were to think for a minute you would realise that coupled with the Class B drugs Mr Haque had in his possession he is either stealing, dealing or someone else helped provide the funds. It's not baffling to anyone who uses their brain.

Kind Regards,

Common Sense.

P.S. Being a gamer often means a large outlay on computer equipment, another red flag, to be fair though that one should have be picked up by our upstanding members of the constabulary.

1. Mike Moyle

The source article doesn't mention how long he had been unemployed, what (if anything) he had worked at before and for how long, so he could have made his assorted purchases with money from previous employment. It's certainly possible that his funds came from irregular sources, but it's nowhere near as certain as you seem to think.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

it's nowhere near as certain as you seem to think.

Luckily for you, Mr Charitable, he's likely to be out after serving 40% of his sentence, so before Christmas. Hopefully he'll be living a lot nearer you than me.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"by someone not in work" is probably more likely by "someone not officially in work".

I've seen my neighbour who is "someone not in work" take UPS and other deliveries at least twice a week, the place is spotless, astroturf back garden, new clothes whenever I see him, just came back off holiday, strangely computer and house lights are on till about 5AM, he must stay up worrying about being "not in work" I suppose.

6. Tromos
    Joke

One possibility...

...he was new to drugs and wanted to try "shooting up"

7. JamieL

Just as well for him that they intercepted the parcel before it was delivered. If he'd been lifted with the parts in his grubby mitts then it'd have been a mandatory 5 years inside for firearms possession. Or perhaps more as they're S1 components.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They jumped the gun.

8. Haku

Framed

So all someone would have to do to make a victim's life very uncomfortable is to order gun parts on the dark web in the victim's name?

Oh dear...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Framed

I take it you didn't read the bit where they raided his house and analysed his tech to discover that he had been tracking the delivery then?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I take it you didn't read the words "...would have to..."

You see, this is what is known as a hypothetical, and it isn't meant to be taken as referring to the current case. You really should take a course so you don't embarrass yourself like this again.

2. herman

Finally someone who clued in to the real problem. Insecure computers make it very easy to frame someone.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect he tried to track the parcel via Tor. I'm sure if tor exit node IP's (which are publicly available) show up in an international couriers logs then it guarantees your parcel will be checked by customs.

10. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

I'd like to know more about that radio...

The radio looks interesting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'd like to know more about that radio...

But one of the tubes is not original I hear.

11. Volisios

But one of the tubes is not original I hear.

Fee Waybill isn't an original TUBE?!?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon