BitCalm Gone Bye Bye?

This topic was created by wolfetone .

1. wolfetone Silver badge

BitCalm Gone Bye Bye?

In a bid to be more efficient, and to impress the new place I'm working in, I decided to use BitCalm to back up our two servers. Everything was going well, their software would kick in when needed and the backups were made.

But, like Schrodingers Cat, no one really knows whether or not the backup actually works or not until you need it. So a failed WordPress plugin update this morning has meant I've logged in to my BitCalm account - only to find nothing there. All I can see is my profile, and a button saying "Need Help" which just displays a blank sidebar. Usually you would get to the dashboard listing all of the servers and back ups you have.

I've got none of that.

A quick poke on Facebook as well reveals I'm not the only one having issues, and judging by the number of people asking questions to their Facebook and about them on Twitter, I think I'm one of 20 customers affected.

Is there anyone else affected by this? They really do see to have just upped sticks and left the country, along with my $240 which I paid for the year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BitCalm Gone Bye Bye?

It's alway bad news when backups fail to restore. You have my commiserations.

Even when you can restore lost files it doesn't mean your backup is ok. I once had an SA who made a curious typo in his backup and restore script. Instead of writing to the tape device he was writing to (and reading from) a rather big file on the server. I twigged what was going on when I realized that he could recover files really quickly but never ones from more than a day before. All of the daily, weekly and monthly tapes he had stored away were blank.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: BitCalm Gone Bye Bye?

"made a curious typo in his backup and restore script."

Probably mistyped the device filename, e.g. /dev/rnt instead of /dev/rmt on a unix server which used static device file entries rather than a devfs.

If the device filename doesn't exist, an ordinary file is created on the filesystem instead!

I used to find loads of those around servers I helped manage - people doing manual writes to export data from one location to another (back then, tapes were more viable than their network!) - presumably by the time they discovered the tape was blank, they repeated the task, not realising what had caused the original problem, and therefore not tidying up after themselves.

2. Storagess

Re: storage companies near me

[quote]

BitCalm Gone Bye Bye?

In a bid to be more efficient, and to impress the new place I'm working in, I decided to use BitCalm to back up our two servers. Everything was going well, their software would kick in when needed and the backups were made.

But, like Schrodingers Cat, no one really knows whether or not the backup actually works or not until you need it. So a failed WordPress plugin update this morning has meant I've logged in to my BitCalm account - only to find nothing there.Storage companies near me <a href="https://gjmoving.com/">gjmoving</a> .

All I can see is my profile, and a button saying "Need Help" which just displays a blank sidebar. Usually you would get to the dashboard listing all of the servers and back ups you have.

I've got none of that.

A quick poke on Facebook as well reveals I'm not the only one having issues, and judging by the number of people asking questions to their Facebook and about them on Twitter, I think I'm one of 20 customers affected.

Is there anyone else affected by this? They really do see to have just upped sticks and left the country, along with my $240 which I paid for the year.

[/quote]

good,,,,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon