back to article Magnetic, heat scanners to catch Tour de France electric motor cheats

Extra technology is being wheeled out for this year's Tour de France to scan bikes for hidden electric engines. In the past few years, there have been several cases of cyclists concealing small battery-powered motors in the tubes of their velocipedes to give a bit of extra speed during competitions. To protect the integrity …

1. Dadmin
    WTF?

I would watch The Tour Doped France

Why not have a special event for all the cheaters? I would watch that. Let all the electric bikes go first, then all the bikers on dope, then the regular bikers that are not supposed to be on the dope. That won't work though, then you'd have to test the doped bikers to make sure they have taken some form of dope. Anyway, you get the idea. They need more bikes on the skinny roads. It's fun.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: I would watch The Tour Doped France

Just like Blernsball... It was back before steroid injections were mandatory

2. James 51

Because the moment you can sell your safety you must sell your safety.

3. Cuddles

"Why not have a special event for all the cheaters?"

It's called the Tour de France.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Dadmin - Re: I would watch The Tour Doped France

Right on! This is the way to go and the problem of detecting the doped bikers can be solved easily. Hand a medal to the biker and one to the pharma company/lab who provided the enhancers for the poor bastard. Just like in F1 races where they honor the driver and the car manufacturer. This will keep them honest. Yes, I am aware that some guy would try to concoct the drugs himself but it would be far from the real stuff so let him try endanger his own life.

2. PhilipN Silver badge

"...sending a clear message..."

You know what? That is one of the pathetic political cliches which cause me to stop reading or listening immediately. It means that the proponent does not actually want to do anything serious and effective.

There must be a pseudo-psychological origin for this (and others) but I can't be arsed to look into it because I haven't yet got the wake-up call.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: "...sending a clear message..."

there must be a pseudo-psychological origin for this

No, just Amurrican politicians.

They are always "sending messages" to this or that guy or else threatening to "punish" someone for perceived or potential transgressions.

Like a control-freak nanny that drank too much coffee in the morning.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sounds more like Social Justice Warriors to me!

"They are always "sending messages" to this or that guy or else threatening to "punish" someone for perceived or potential transgressions."

If that's not the way you millennials act 99% of the time I'll eat my hat.

2. I am the liquor

To me the phrase sounds like an excuse for ineffectual action. "Yes we know what we're doing won't actually achieve anything, but it will send a clear message..."

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Tech

We might as well let the wealthy cheaters invent some cool stuff without completely cheating: Allow any modification as long as it starts with no stored energy and it will never be patented. Use solar, regeneration, cross winds, EM harvesting, electronic transmission, vibration adsorption, or anything else as long as the bike starts at zero energy.

Let's face it. Bikes need some new technology besides weight shavings and hipster wood paneling.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Tech

Rocket engines and lasers - would make it more interesting

1. lawndart

I now have a vision of the Tour de France with all the competitors riding Colin Furze pulse jet bikes.

There probably wouldn't be much slipstreaming and the crowd would hand out small calor gas bottles instead of drinks.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Colin Furze pulse jet bikes

I had to google that. The guys is mad, but I want one!

1. Known Hero
            Mushroom

Don't forget your safety tie !!

Icon I felt was appropriate.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Let's face it. Bikes need some new technology besides weight shavings and hipster wood paneling.

We all want new super-duper energy dense batteries for our phones, cars and power tools, so when Tesla, Dyson, Samsung or whoever mass produces them, electric bikes will benefit.

Weight savings, suspension and vibration control have been the areas that have evolved the most over the last thirty years. Adding a motor changes things

Round in these hilly parts, there are quite a few electric bikes in the pub car park. The result is that the bikes are no longer designed with weight savings as the main focus - instead, panniers or pillion seats are incorporated into the frame- making the bicycle more suitable for day to day ('nip to the shops') use than perhaps a traditional racer or mountain bike would be.

2. Pookietoo
      FAIL

Re: Let's face it. Bikes need some new technology

The UCI is all about restricting new technology - their rulebook is an OCD control freak's dream. Were it not for the UCI's interference, cyclists would probably be riding aerodynamic missiles with regenerative braking, rather than the basically Edwardian things that they have now.

3. admiraljkb

"Let's face it. Bikes need some new technology besides weight shavings and hipster wood paneling."

There is a lot of new tech like electronic wireless shifting and such, as well as much improved data recording and analysis tools of rider performance.

4. Youngone Silver badge

Haven't finished laughing

"To protect the integrity of the world's most famous cycle race..."

Hahahahaha!

Integrity

5. x 7

best method is always the simplest: just give the riders a diet of beans, and a catalytic lighter element stitched into the shorts

1. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Captain DaFt

Um, dumb question

if the race is all about the riders natural abilities, and not fancy bike-tech, why not just provide them all with a standard bike at the beginning of each race?

All the bikes are identical, with the adjustments (seat height, handle bar angle, whatever) designed to be easily hand adjusted, in full view of spectators, immediately prior to the race.

All bikes turned in and examined at the end of the race,again in full view of spectators, before announcing results, just in case someone figured out how to slip in an illegal substitution.

Is that so daft?

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Um, dumb question

That sounds like a good idea, but I'm going to guess that the current bikes come from sponsors, and there will be lots of money involved.

2. dan1980

@Captain DaFt

It's not a dumb question, but it does ignore the mechanical interaction between rider and bike, as well as the realities of sponsorship.

In pure ball sports like rugby or soccer, the balls are standard amongst everyone competing - at least in a given game/match. Stepping up in complexity (of equipment) you have sports like tennis, cricket, baseball, hockey, etc . . . where there is a standard ball and then individual player equipment (sticks, rackets, bats) that will be customised for each competitor.

In these sports, it is conceivable that a standard bat/racket could be mandated. But even in so simple a setting as this where the competitor is only coupled to the equipment at the hands, it would be undesirable as it would make no allowances for strength and height (and therefore arm length) or style of play.

Now think of cycling, where the rider is all-but attached to the bike and so body size and shape is even more important. Further, you have variations in bikes not only for different types of riders but for the same riders at different stages.

For example, a GC rider may switch to a lighter bike compared to a road stage and will have a specialty bike for the time trial.

This kind of volume of bikes would be difficult, logistically, to be managed and expensive to provide, not to mention nearly impossible to brand, which would have quite a big knock-on effect.

I think it's important to be vigilant with trying to catch cheats but I think the best option in instances like this - where there is no ambiguity about whether it's okay or a 'grey area' about if you're allowed to ad a motor to your bike - is to couple the testing with very VERY harsh penalties.

The 6-year ban and associated penalties mentioned here are good, but why not a life ban? There is no 'whoops' moment when you have a motor installed in a bike; no "sorry my mum gave me these pills" evasion.

1. Peter Ford

"Now think of cycling, where the rider is all-but attached to the bike and so body size and shape is even more important. Further, you have variations in bikes not only for different types of riders but for the same riders at different stages."

But that's not a requirement: the riders could ride up the mountains on the same bike as they sprint the special stages and cruise the long bits. A bike design could be made standard allowing for longer seat posts and bar stems to fit the riders. Complexity is not an excuse - the NASCAR racers might have various manufacturers badges and stickers but they are standardized cars, and even a stock car is more complex (not much, admittedly) than a bike.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Is that so daft?

The Tour de Dope is an advertising event showcasing yet another 2g decrease in weight compared to last year's model. If you make all bikes the same, it will be impossible to showcase that and tempt the hipsters which pay north of 6k for a bike for a year-on-year upgrade. There is lots of money involved here (and precious little sport).

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

"and precious little sport"

Competing over more than 3,000km distance and 20,000m of ascent, fighting for a few seconds up an alpine climb isn't sport?

Le Tour is probably one of the most gruelling sporting events there is.

2. Pookietoo

Re: another 2g decrease in weight

There's a minimum weight limit for competition bikes, so no point shaving off grammes.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"This bike doesn't perfectly meld to the contours of my arse and the handlebars are too wide! Hang on, I need to get my blood transfusion."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This bike doesn't perfectly meld to the contours of my arse and the handlebars are too wide!

You're sitting on it the wrong way round.

5. waldo kitty
      Boffin

if the race is all about the riders natural abilities, and not fancy bike-tech, why not just provide them all with a standard bike at the beginning of each race?

IROC does/did this... all the cars are built by one team, are identical and all weigh the same with the drivers in them... the race is/was designed to test the drivers' abilities and not the cars'...

6. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

> Is that so daft?

No, and there are some sports that more or less do that. For example, I believe some karting and other motorsport series require the competitors to use a specific engine, and some that require a specific vehicle - which as you say means that there's little scope for competitive advantage from technology developments.

I used to compete in some trials where there were fairly strict limitations on departing from what came out of the factory in terms of engine and suspension - as someone else in the club put it, it limits the benefit of a fat chequebook !

But in this case, as pointed out, there's a lot of money at stake - so it aint gonna happen.

There is also the factor that were standardised stings have to be used, innovation tends not to be very rapid. Where the rules are fairly free, you tend to see some fairly rapid, and often novel, innovation - but also, you tend to see a lot of chequebook engineering going on, with bigger budget teams having a distinct advantage over those with small budgets (especially privateers).

1. James Hughes 1

Olympic sailing uses the same dinghy design, you are allocated one by drawing out of a hat (not the dinghy itself I hasten to add).

Karting and other motorsports have all sorts of different rules, but there are some series where the engine needs to be built to a fiche and sealed to ensure they are all the same. However, the kart/car setup itself is down to the team. Sealed engines tend to be quite expensive, as it's a closed shop of builders, and you cannot maintain them yourself (even if you have the skill set). However, even sealed engines come in good and bad varieties, as shown by the huge range of prices...

7. Adrian Midgley 1

Doesn't generate better bikes.

7. Pompous Git Silver badge

She has been stripped of her titles

Pictures please :-)

8. Mike 125

I love Bluetooth

>>Bluetooth-operated motor

Add that to the list of ludicrous Bluetooth applications, along with the BT padlock and BT electric toothbrush.

Being bored one day, I used Amazon Customer Questions & Answers forum to ask if the toothbrush also has Ethernet. I was earnestly and with great sincerity informed "No, sorry, it does not."

1. gregthecanuck
      Angel

Re: I love Bluetooth

Hey Mike - you win the LOL of the day award. ;-)

Have a good one!

2. handle

Re: I love Bluetooth

I agree that there are a lot of ludicrous Bluetooth-enabled devices, but for this one there is definitely method in the madness, because it allows the motor to be switched on and off without having to run a very obvious wire from it to the control on the handlebars.

9. IHateWearingATie
    Go

Being blessed with a body honed by sitting at a desk all day...

... I'm all in favour of a hidden motor in my bike.

Pesky fit people, shooting past me on hills. That'll teach 'em.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Tikimon
      Happy

Re: Being blessed with a body honed by sitting at a desk all day...

WTF? I sit at a desk all day. That's no excuse, get out and work it when you're NOT at that desk.

Those pesky fit people have made the commitment to get there. Why don't you join us? It's kinda cool being fit and strong, and nobody believes I'm over 50. My example has inspired a few of my co-workers to get in shape, and it's rippled on to some of their friends and family. And that's a good feeling too.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Your tongue-in-cheek detector wants calibrating, I think.

1. Tikimon
          Happy

Oh, I know. Just making the point for the ones who really mean that.

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Can we crowdfund development of this secret electric bike for office commuters?

10. Wommit

The Tour surely has to be one of the most corrupt races in the world. Right from the beginning riders were kidnapped, had their bikes smashed, given lifts along the way and drugs were used (both performance enhancing and otherwise.)

And having a Brit win was a massive stain on French honour (ho hum.)

Surely the time has come to stop this annual farce.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely

You can catch people using motors by looking to see if their feet are on the pedals.

12. Patrick R

after a motor was found in her bike's frame

in ONE of her bike's frame in the stands. I'm not defending her but it's a big difference.

1. Pookietoo

Re: after a motor was found in her bike's frame

There's some doubt that it was actually her bike, and I've not seen proof that she ever used it.

1. Patrick R

Re: after a motor was found in her bike's frame

There's little doubt it was her bike, the size and setup were exactly identical and the explanation there for was that she sold or gave the bike to a friend. The friend had no plausible explanation why the bike was back in that place on that very World Championship day. Only doubt is if she used it in a race or not but the rules say that such a bike cannot stand there at that time.

13. admiraljkb
    FAIL

UCI can "fix" this by removing/reducing minimum bike weight rule...

Its because of UCI regulations with a MINIMUM bike weight that make it possible to have a hidden motor on the bike without a weight penalty. You can't use a hidden motor for very long due to battery capacity restrictions. Any benefit of the motor is cancelled out by the extra effort of hauling an extra kilogram or so for 200km. HOWEVER, since the weight rule took effect, bike weights have come down dramatically due to better manufacturing techniques. Since you have to make up the difference to get it back up to the minimum weight, it paves the way to put a motor in, either that or lead weights. Bikes you see at the Tour, have to have weights added to them to make them "legal", or at least this year they did. Not sure what was used for "ballast" last year.

UCI response on all this- "Are we going to repeal/revise the weight rule? Nawwww, we're just going to spend a lot of money on testing equipment (some of it dubious) to find motors that likely wouldn't be there if we didn't have a minimum weight restriction...."

1. NordieBoy

Re: UCI can "fix" this by removing/reducing minimum bike weight rule...

Especiall considering that they have no minimum weight limit on MTB's

1. admiraljkb

Re: UCI can "fix" this by removing/reducing minimum bike weight rule...

> "Especially considering that they have no minimum weight limit on MTB's"

Good point, given the amount of abuse a MTB takes, you would figure UCI would have a minimum weight there too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon