back to article Disco, Pogs, and the Microsoft Surface 3

Microsoft is wrapping up production of its Surface 3 tablet, with no successor in sight. The Redmond giant has confirmed reports that it will be ending production of the Atom-powered tablet at the end of the year and selling out its current stock of hardware. The Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book remain available. "Since …

1. Dadmin
    FAIL

Let me Google that new term "surface", was it?

Hi, tell me all about your Surface Tabs, my good man.

Sure thing, Sir! Here's what the people are saying; "Users on Microsoft's support forum reported that some Touch Covers were splitting at the seam where it connects to the tablet, exposing its wiring. A Microsoft spokesperson stated that the company was aware of the issue, and would offer free replacements for those who have been affected by the defect. Other users reported issues with audio randomly stuttering or muting on the Surface tablet while in use. Wi-Fi connectivity issues were also reported. Firmware updates that attempted to fix the problem were released, but some users still reported problems. Microsoft has acknowledged a bug in the Windows key that does not always work, but has promised a fix. The latest update, which promised to fix the issue, was not able to fix it. With Surface Pro, Microsoft acknowledged issues encountered by some users with its stylus pen, including intermittent pen failures, and with older applications that do not have complete pen support due to the different APIs used by Surface Pro's stylus drivers. In the latter case, Microsoft has indicated that it is working with software vendors to ensure better compatibility. Issues had also been experienced with slow Wi-Fi connectivity, and the device not properly returning from standby. iFixit has awarded the Surface Pro its worst ever repairability rating, but CEO Kyle Wiens claims that it is due to incompetence rather than deliberate design choices."

Great. Thanks. I'll get back to you.

No problem, Sir! Stop into the MicroSOooFT zsStore anAyantanytime! We also have some GREAT DEALS on Zune players, and the number two game console on the market!

??

1. Disk0
      Coat

Re: Let me Google that new term "surface", was it?

"a bug in the Windows key that does not always work"

As opposed to the bug always working, like an ant on trucker pills, and likewise ocnstantly interfering with whatever it is you are trying to do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Surface might be dying, but the Surface Pro goes from strength to strength. They are now standard for senior execs at the FTSE 100 where I currently work.

1. Robert Moore

> They are now standard for senior execs at the FTSE 100 where I currently work.

Why? Do you hate your execs?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Why? Do you hate your execs?!"

Because they are only slightly more expensive than iCraps, but are far more secure, more powerful and more useful, but above all - execs see them as more of a status symbol...

2. Mage Silver badge

Atom powered?

It wouldn't perchance use the Atom family that Intel just scrapped any future development on?

3. King Jack
    FAIL

Microsoft and hardware

As I've said before M$ has a poor record with hardware. They hype the thing up, then abandon it without warning. It is the one thing they are good at. But as some M$ apologist pointed out, they make good keyboards so M$ is great at hardware. Keep buying M$.

1. Notional Semidestructor
      Linux

Re: Microsoft and hardware

Yes, MS keyboards have indeed been good - there was a time when their mahoosive contour-keyed thing was affordable, too. Still use one, and find the experience of a great (imho) MS product mildly hallucinogenic.

Once upon a time, the MS Joystick was a good choice - we used them for aircraft simulations that led to building real flying things in that era. Their advantages included good linearity, no dead spot or backlash, and excellent quality. They'd out-last all of the other high street offerings back then.

Then they stopped making/selling them! Seemed to drop out of the business, allegedly.

....aaand then they started selling joysticks again.

Whilst cosmetically similar, the new ones would fail (worn-out pots usually) in a few weeks of constant use, which happened rarely since they had so much backlash. Think I still have one in the attic...

CH Products joystick hardware became my favourite, but they are not cheap!

That was around ten-twelve years ago.

Around thirty years back the MS mouse was a pretty good item, I reckon. Still got the one that my employer provided at that time, and it was still working last time I looked.

So it is not mandatory for *all* MS hardware to suck!

But their software has been disappointing since EDTASM for the TRS-80 in the late '70s.

< s i g h >

1. quxinot

I would like to agree. Happy MS natural keyboard and giant MS mouse user for many years here.

Actually, I tend to like MS products, if they have no firmware nor software in them.

1. chrisf1

Sadly my old contour keyboard gave up the ghost and i immediately bought the new versions but have been very disappointed. They weren't expensive but quality took a real hit.

2. Mark Allread

Anyone who still keeps saying "M$" can't really be taken seriously.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge
        Joke

Re: saying "M$" ...

Because ₳₱₱₺€ have more money?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Upvoted. Not a big fan of Microsoft, but using M$ (FOUR TIMES) makes clear that there is some bias on the posters' opinion.

I also recall two recent articles about some "idiot tax operation" that I stopped reading at that point. All this name calling is getting really old.

(to contrast: all articles saying that DevOps is the bees knees are also suspect of having some sort of bias)

3. Zakhar

I beg to disagree.

http://techrights.org/2014/03/27/support-microsoft-racketeering/

Once M$ stops the racketeering: forcing W$ down your throat when you buy a new PC, even if you never intend to run that O.S., the $ in the name is absolutely right. That is just extortion. Even in country where is it illegal (France) they do it, because even if you win at court, as only 1 person on 100K takes the trouble to go to trial for a refund, they are still beneficial.

Or maybe you think it is better to abbreviate is as MS... which is very serious disease... If that was your thoughts, I agree!

4. Duffy Moon

I love my Surface Pro 3.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I didn't

know they had released a MS version of the fleshlight.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/have-sex-with-your-ipad-thanks-to-the-new-sex-toy-no-one-asked-for-9568074.html

2. dajames
      Windows

I love my Surface Pro 3.

I'm very happy for you both ... but that's rather beside the point as it isn't the surface Pro that's being discontinued.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Facepalm

Ummm...what?

"Since launching Surface 3 over a year ago, we have seen strong demand and satisfaction amongst our customers," Microsoft said in a statement to El Reg.

"We can confirm that by the end of December 2016, we will no longer manufacture Surface 3 devices."

Cogitative dissonance alert!!

If demand and customer satisfaction is strong, why are they stopping production? Have they got money to burn? Is it a tax write off? Have they not pissed off their full quota of customers for this year yet?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cogitative dissonance alert!!

I read this as "in order to serve you better we will discontinue our product". Or "due to consumers demands we will reduce the amount of this product in the packaging and keep the same price". Or any other meaningless drivel PR people use all the time. Not exclusive to Microsoft.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Ummm...what?

"If demand and customer satisfaction is strong, why are they stopping production?"

Perhaps Microsoft cannot source the components for it? Come end of December 2016 and the technology will be about 2 years old. Surface 3 has an Intel "Cherry Trail" Atom SoC and its successor ("Willow Trail") was already axed couple months ago when Intel cleaned up their mobile (phone&tablet) offerings.

Redesigning for other Intel architectures is possible but they're all more expensive and the tablet would be called something like Surface 4 then since it would be a different beast.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

If customer demand wasn't strong that would suggest that marketing had made a mistake - and marketing never makes mistakes.

So it was a brilliantly conceived and executed product which they are discontinuing for reasons that are beyond the ken of mere mortals

3. j.greenwood98

By the time they've stopped production the surface 3 will have been out for over a year and a half so its hardly surprising. I'm sure they'll bring out a surface 4, probably at the same time as Redstone 2.

Also, by what most of you have been posting I doubt any of you own a surface 3, so as an owner I can tell you that after owning it for just under a year, I haven't had a single problem and it's been an excellent device.

6. Mr_Pitiful
    Thumb Up

Surface Pro 3

Typing this comment on one now

I was given one by my wife for Christmas, my only glitch was yesterday, when it decided my WiFi didn't exist. everything else could connect - except my surface.

I turned it off and back on, still nothing, went out to the kitchen to get a beer and when I returned all was well again. no explanation, no windows dialog, nothing. It just started working again

The thing is I actually use it more now, when I'm at home than my laptop.

They are expensive, but everyone I've shown it to fancies getting one, but the expense is restrictive

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Surface Pro 3

Trouble shooting flowchart level2

If turning it off and on again doesn't work, go and get a beer

7. ecofeco Silver badge

Surface vs Surface Pro

I've had to set up quite a few Surface Pros and the only issue we had was the same as with every MS OS since WiFi was first supported: wifi management is shit.

We bought the Pro's to replace the previous Surface 3s, which were obviously built by politicians.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like