back to article India relaxes rules that kept Apple out of retail

Indian tech consumers might soon be able to savour the rich, human experience of making a Genius Bar booking to try and sort out a problem with an iThing, after that country relaxed the rules that have kept companies like Apple from opening their branded stores in that country. The roadblock has been a law that demanded …

1. Mark 85

I've read that Foxconn is moving production to India. Not all of it, but quite a bit. Wouldn't this get Apple in the front door?

Ah.. here's the link I was looking for: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/05/09/new-foxconn-plant-in-india-to-exclusively-serve-apple-report-says

I feel sorry for the poor devils that will have to work there after reading the stories about the Chinese employees.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

What's wrong with the Foxconn factories? They have suicide nets, which shows they care about their employees.

Does YOUR employer provide suicide nets?

1. Lamb0
        Coat

suicide nets?

Only for the C level employees. I think they're called Golden Parachutes. ;-Q

I'm off to celebrate my next bonus.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: suicide nets?

Well, the Mythbusters proved you can make a balloon out of lead, so I suppose it must also be possible to make a parachute out of gold!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Mark 85

What sort of work, and for what sort of pay, do you think the people working at Foxconn in China were doing before? They were mostly living in rural China, farming by hand (using animals instead of tractors) for much less money (probably none - i.e. sustenance farming with their brothers and sisters)

Do you think a country like China can uplift a billion people to a western equivalent salary just like that? The US and UK had far worse and far far more dangerous conditions for factory work - and child labor - only a century ago. If we hadn't passed through that stage we wouldn't be where we are now.

2. redpawn

MS Stores

I can imagine the MS marketing team chomping at the bit for another chance to misread a market. Bet they'll spend a bundle on shiny new stores selling products way above market to make them more like Apple. They will probably also offshore the tech support to a country with lower wages as part of the package but I could be wrong.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like