back to article Contain yourself – StorageOS is coming

StorageOS is a UK-based startup offering simple and automated block storage to stateless containers, giving them state and the means to run databases and other applications that need enterprise-class storage functionality without the concomitant complexity, rigidity and cost. It runs as a container in a Linux system and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent architecture diagram

Can I install the "performant" and "ease of use" layers in my other applications, so that they run faster and better?

I'd also like to use the "anywhere" layer.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pricing

"The Professional Version costs less than $30/month"

To be accurate, their web site says they offer "simple, pay as you go pricing per GB used per month". Then it says that $29.95 is for up to 1TB of usage.

That sounds rather on the expensive side, given that's for software only.

1TB of Amazon S3 storage also costs $30 per month - but you don't need to buy any hardware (and the storage is replicated)

3. JBFUK

"StorageOS provides cost-reduction for public cloud users. For example, with replication in Amazon you have a compute instance running in the source environment and a second running in the target environment. With StorageOS, data is replicated to the target with no need for any compute instance there, until a fail-over occurs."

This doesn't really make sense. As 'Anonymous Coward' commented, S3 is replicated already - it has 4x 9's availability and 11x 9's durability as standard. Perhaps the writer is suggesting replication of storage across regions via EC2 instances but that's probably not the best way of doing things. S3 has cross-region replication capabilities built in, so does RDS, EBS allows copying snapshots cross-region.

I can see StorageOS may be beneficial in some circumstances and I'm sure it will continue to develop however I thought 'The Register' was supposed to be a place for technically accurate analysis of technology news, not a marketing tool churning out press releases.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"however I thought 'The Register' was supposed to be a place for technically accurate analysis of technology news, not a marketing tool churning out press releases."

You're kidding, right? ;-)

4. Yaron Haviv

FC SAN and Containers? Give me a break..

I think people that put SAN and Containers in the same sentence dont understand the concept of Micro-Services and continuous integration

You got legacy apps, keep it in a vm, if you want to move to an agile and elastic world of cloud-native apps adopt a cloud like practice, do you know of any SaaS offering using SAN? Any NoSQL stack requiring SAN?..

Can read my post for in depth explanation https://sdsblog.com/cloud-native-will-shake-up-enterprise-storage/

Yaron

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like