back to article Filet-O-Phish: Insecure NFC tag relics hidden under Maccas tables

McDonald's New Zealand and Australia restaurants reportedly have unused and insecure NFC tags glued under tables. Near Field Communications tags allow devices to read instructions with a tap. Phones must be very close in order to read the tags and the instructions it contains. The McDonald's tags seem to have been installed …

1. MrDamage Silver badge

So

McDonald's is to security as McDomalds is to cuisine.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: So

Which is bad news for both.

2. Mark 85
      Devil

Well... sure it's secure. Securely mounted under the table so it will never come off.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

McDonalds and NFC. That was always a perfect storm of security fuckups in the making.

2. Deltics

So you "secure" these tags but.... um....

Unless I'm missing something here, what's to stop anyone from taping their own tag under the table, loaded up with a suitably lookey-likey phishing attack ? Or tape some BK branded phish-ware tags under tables in a BK.

(or even ON the table, made to look sufficiently "official" I doubt that it would be detected and scraped off before it could do it's damage)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So you "secure" these tags but.... um....

Quite; this would just be an unremarkable and unnecessarily complicated way of implementing a phishing attack. Could be a NFC tag, but equally could just be a sticker with a QR code, or simply a printed URL with a plausible domain name. This is making a very big deal out of not very much.

2. Necronomnomnomicon

Re: So you "secure" these tags but.... um....

Most NFC stickers are too weak to work through anything but the thinnest tables. But you are right, there's probably not a lot stopping someone from sticking Ronald McDonald stickers on top of regular NFC stickers and putting them on top of the table, I doubt the staff would see a few stickers and think "obvious security threat".

3. Big-nosed Pengie

MacDonald's New Zealand and Australia restaurants?

They have restaurants now???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MacDonald's New Zealand and Australia restaurants?

Well, somewhere where you can buy a close approximation of "food", it is edible but thats all..

2. Winkypop Silver badge
      Windows

From my POV, McDonalds is a world wide free public toilet provider that also has a dubious food offering.

Besides, who buys food at a public toilet?

1. Danny 14

I will admit to buying coffee (and tea) in MacDonalds. Sometimes there are no other alternatives when you feel yourself nodding and need a driving break.

4. Jeffrey Nonken

*sigh* This seems to come up every time there is an article about McDonald's. Yes, while I agree in principle, McDonald's is legally considered a restaurant. Hah hah how witty, that's the first time I've heard that joke. Today.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Go to the time and effort of developing a phishing page and app just on the offchance that someone actually uses NFC and can be arsed going to a McDee's site and downloading an app?

Two words why this is a non-story. Opportunity cost.

6. Mystic Megabyte
    Unhappy

History lesson

Back in ye olden days was the chain of Wimpy Bar. they sold burgers and had cutlery made of something called metal. Then came in the media a big story of how McD was coming to the UK. They came, I went, it was crap and AFAIK it remains crap.

1. David Roberts

Re: History lesson

Wimpy still exists, though a shadow of its former self.

The Wikipedia article is interestindg reading.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wimpy did for food what Edsel did for the car.

3. JimC

Yes, I remember Wimpy. To my mind their burgers stood in much the same relationship to McDonalds products as a bottle of milk that's been sitting on the doorstep for six weeks does to one that's been sitting on the doorstep for three weeks.

4. SteveK

Ahh, Wimpy. Home of the 'Bender in a bun'.

And yes, that is an actual menu item, not the dodgy character skulking in the toilet.

7. TRT Silver badge

Could be any food outlet really.

Like Harry Ramsden's. But you'd be expecting phish and chips there.

8. beast666

Fillet-o-fish

For my wife!

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: Fillet-o-fish

Sounds like a fair swap

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think the point is that customers are directed towards these tags - "Tap here for an awesome fantastic great app that will do loads of cool stuff" printed on the top of the table or whatever. So by leaving them read/write, I could go in, erase the link to the website or app, and program in a link to either something rude, or perhaps a website or app that look right but instead are phishing for something.

Those commenters saying that you could just plaster NFC tags under the tables anyway are missing the key step which is that you'd also have to print out some advertising material directing people there, and there's a decent chance someone in the restaurant would notice that it's not a legitimate bit of POS.

So yes, it is viable that this could be exploited. I probably wouldn't be bothered to write a malicious app, but I would definitely take the five seconds needed to redirect customers to Burger King or something.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I think the point is that customers are directed towards these tags - 'Tap here for an awesome fantastic great app that will do loads of cool stuff' printed on the top of the table"

Err.. no they're not. Did you see the article?

"...you'd also have to print out some advertising material directing people there, and there's a decent chance someone in the restaurant would notice that it's not a legitimate bit of POS."

You could just use a sticker as someone else has mentioned and I think you overestimate the security vigilance of members of staff.

10. Mage Silver badge

NFC

NFC should have stayed in Warehouses. Been consistently a fail on security and privacy in retail / payments / travel.

QR codes are OK in theory, but should display the REAL URL with a "Do you want to do this dangerours thing?" QR codes are a similar risk to URL shorteners, or HTML where you can't preview link.

11. Stevie

Bah!

Obviously the IT McTeam thought NFC meant "not for consumption" and assumed it was a food standard of some sort.

12. Stratman
    Coat

Are you sure

they're not KFC tags?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

KFC and NFC

DFC

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like