back to article UberEats into food delivery with new app launch in London

Not content with disrupting classical transportation services, Uber is now disrupting the disruptors in launching its own food delivery app, UberEats, in London today. The on-demand meal delivery service will be available from 11am to 11pm, seven days a week, and on launch will only cover London's Zone 1 boroughs, though the …

1. TRT Silver badge

Uber To Go!!!

Or Uber Allez, in translation.

Oops.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uber To Go!!!

Full song here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschlandlied. Appropriate for referendum day?:)

2. Dr. Mouse

Not a bad idea...

I'm sure there are times when taxis are sat idle. Allowing them to be used for instant delivery doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

I think, were it me, I would expand this idea to include other goods. Need a new CPU? Order it from a local shop using UberDelivery and it turns up much quicker than ordering using normal delivery services, and you don't have to leave your desk/house and battle traffic.

It could even be combined with taxi services, the parcel being in the boot while a meatbag is dropped off somewhere en route.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a bad idea...

Allowing them to be used for instant delivery doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

Tsk tsk tsk. The BOFH approach is to order a Thai durian and the taxi will be unusable for a few hours. Even when transported in the boot :)

2. macjules

Re: Not a bad idea...

Why not combine the 2? Someone in the back of the taxi is bound, at some point or other, to park the parochial custard so to speak. Why not profit from this and deliver the resultant product in a box saying "Your PizzaHUT delivery is here, Sir". Hell, it sure will not taste THAT different from their product.

3. Fred Dibnah
    Pint

UK vs Netherlands

In the UK, Uber is helping us to eat more, whereas in the Netherlands some of their cars will carry your bike on the back. They obviously know their customers' tastes.

Icon because food, plus footie only 40 mins away :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: UK vs Netherlands

As far as I'm aware, the Dutch have never actually eaten their bikes..

4. handle

Destroy the competition

When you're sitting on a huge pile of cash you can subsidise new ventures like this in order to destroy the competition, and then you can charge what you like and the consumer is the loser.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Destroy the competition

That's just what I was thinking. Covering a big part of the capital for a whole month, not just at a loss, but even giving a £20 discount of subsequent orders sounds more like anti-competitive behaviour than a "special offer".

On the other hand, having spoken to my local pizzeria, they pretty much had to join JustEat or lose out to the other pizzerias but they have to operate at lower margins because JustEat want their cut of the order price too.

It's almost a legalised protection racket.

5. Warm Braw

A fairly saturated market

Much like the fats in the foods they'll be delivering no doubt.

It does seem absurd that when many fast-food outlets are using increasinlgy inferior and substitute ingredients to get their prices down in a fiercely competitive market the same people people who are clearly not prepared to pay for quality food are quite happy to pay a premium to have the crap delivered to their doorstep.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good Ridance Deliveroo

I'd be glad to see the back of Deliveroo. The seem to find the worst type of cyclist,put a massive box on their back and send them off into the wild.

It's only a matter of time before one of these idiots takes out a pedestrian (if they haven't already).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anything that stops Just Eat's irritating current ad campaign

is fine by me. They truly have become the DFS of food delivery - they aimed low and under-delivered.

8. Mike Moyle

It seems to me that, the more Uber expands into on-demand deliveries, the harder it should become to defend their "it's all just about SHARING, man!" stance.

9. israel_hands

What about Yours Truly?

+1 for mentioning Hiro "The Deliverator" Protagonist.

-1 for Uber being a pack of pricks.

All this "disruptive" and "innovative" bollocks is just a way to avoid taxes, avoid corporate responsibilities and generally fuck over everyone who has to play by the rules that were established to protect customers and staff.

10. Spender

Delivery systems for fans of...

...cold, wet food that has shared 40 minutes in a sweaty box with the other orders that happened to be vaguely along the way to your house.

For me, there's something rather appealing about the accountability of the restaurant (when it owns the whole process from kitchen to front doorstep) as opposed to the passing of the delivery process over to the scalpers.

11. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I can cook, so ...

1. Tromos
      Joke

I can cook, so...

What's so special about cooking? Just set the timer, press 'start' and wait for the ping.

12. Buster

Cook!

You don't have to heat up Soylent Green it tastes just as good cold and plumbed directly to your room.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cook!

Yeah, there's just one thing wrong with it though.

13. MACWINLINO

Uber Awesome

As a person that has never used Uber. I do wish they would launch this in South Africa. At the rate they are disrupting the market when will I see UberKittens?

1. macjules

Re: Uber Awesome

They have UberELLIE there for Elephant Taxis (no, not a joke).

14. nilfs2
    Pint

Beer delivery to your door

There's a liquor store in my town, a guy with a motorcycle is getting rich delivering beer and snacks on weekend nights, specially rainy ones. UberBooze perhaps?

15. macjules

Just wait ..

UberEATCopter will rival Amazon NOW! and drop your shopping onto your house by helicopter.

Personally I am waiting for UberWALKIES as a rival to DogBuddy for someone to take the dogs to the park so that I can sit at home and order dinner via UberYOUFATB*STARD.

16. Fox123

I tried it. Delivery was fast. Best thing about it is you get non conventional takeaways like snog yorgourt. use eats-mirai104ue for £10 off

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like