back to article East Euro crims pwning 'high profile' victims with Flash zero day

An eastern European group has for more than three months been using an unpatched Flash zero day vulnerability to target 'high profile' victims, Kaspersky Labs researcher Costin Raiu says. The attacks are linked to a group dubbed ScarCruft which under the Operation Daybreak has used the vulnerability since March. A patch for …

1. Mark 85

Since we can't legally kill the crims.. why is Flash still alive? We can kill it.

Disclaimer: No flash here on any of my Windoze boxes.

1. a_yank_lurker

"We can kill it." - Only if a bunch of PHBs get technically sophisticated and learn how to use typewriters and rotary dial phones will there even a be minimal chance of that happening. I might be tad optimisitc.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

What's IT to Fear and/or Expect to XSSXXXX in Crashing Flash and AI, other than a Searching Self

Take a walk on the wild side, Mark 85, and find out if one be ready, there is more than just simple life in the Live Operational Virtual Environment with ITs Deep Mined and Dark Web Spaced Places.

Living in any sort of a siloed environment surely renders one at least semi reclusive and prime groom material for paranoid schizophrenia. And that is not secure, delivering as it and IT does, a stagnating petrification within remote incarcerations. An almost perfect status quo tool for the blunt maintenance and mindless retention of old powers with mediated energy.

Spread your wings a little, and fly high and wide and far above the mad and maddening crowd, and take a chosen few view on promising lands.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But they *do* have W32/Troj_MSWindows on them.

Unfortunately there is no removal tool for that due to the "but I need Office / Adobe / insert proprietary app you've been using since 1998" infinite loop bug.

Therefore I propose this:

http://bit.ly/1t9kIQz

I'm afraid it's the only way.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"maximise on the amount of time their attacks go unnoticed and unpatched"

It's been noticed now. Time to generalize the use, I guess.

On the other hand, given how many unpatched Flash installations there still are despite regular news of zero days, breaches and new vulnerabilities, there might be a fair bit of time left for these flaws to wreak havoc even once the patch is out.

3. MrDamage Silver badge

FTFY

"... Operation Daybreak appears to have been launched by ScarCruft in March 2016 and employs a known exploit called Adobe Flash Player, focusing on high profile victims," Raiu says

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like