back to article 'Carbon neutral' Dell's wind-blowing pays off

Computer maker Dell has claimed it is now a carbon neutral company. It also reckons it’s the greenest technology firm on the planet (reader’s competition: spot the oxymoron and win a Madagascan tree). Boss Michael Dell has been pushing the green agenda for some time now. In September last year he announced a series of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie Kephalas
    Paris Hilton

Really?

How many carbon credits are they buying from other truly green companys?

or is this a case of outsourcing, thus not including 90% of the company?

PH, She has her own energy policy don't you know?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Oxymoron

Surely that's a Green Technology Company?

3. sleepy

not including

The bulky power hungry computers they ship, or the materials they are made of, or the packaging, or the outsourced manufacturing of them, or the outsourced tech support of them, or MD's personal Hummer fleet, or his giant mansion.

But it does include the head office air conditioning, because they've purchased some cheap carbon offset certificates from poor people in far away lands.

4. Thomas
    Coat

Green Technology

Where's my tree bitch? (I mean that in the nicest way the internet can, but seriously, I want my tree)

We have Gates and Balmer avatars, Now when does Mickey Dell get added to the lot?

Here's to Dell government contracts, because nothing says oxymoron like a field soldier calling up the people his team is shooting at for tech support ; )

5. Jonathan Tate
    Flame

A rolling of the eyes are in order

Eugh. If I'd known Michael Dell was pushing this crap I might not have purchased an Inspiron 1420 last year. I'm all for less pollution, but this greentard bandwagon has got to stop.

Flame because I, as a conservative, obviously want the planet to burn.

6. Herby

Hot air (which IS green, but smells bad!)

Enough said.

7. pctechxp

Methane gas capture

So does that mean that when they get to work all Dell employees have to attach a hose to their ass which connects to a pipe sticking up from the floor which collects their methane in gas bottles and to help them fart as much as possible everything is served with baked beans or sprouts in the canteen then?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not so fast Mike

In India, you're still printing out invoices across 20 pages where 3 would do. As recently as last week I received an invoice that had just "Windows Vista Business 32 Bit SP1" on the invoice description on page 4, and "Windows Vista Business 32 Bit SP1 DVD" on page 5. Each line of the order was on a different page of the invoice.

And this is not the first time. It was the same in February and clearly nothing has changed since I brought it to their attention the first time. Others who have purchased from Dell confirm this point as well.

Carbon neutral? Or another marketing / PR stunt?

9. Peyton
    Thumb Down

Wasn't there a Reg article

about them having the only something-or-other rated power supply? I know it had something to do with efficiency - surely that's worth something. I also know they go on and on about their packaging being more efficient than anyone else... dunno why people are getting their knickers in a twist - they're claiming to be the greenest *tech* company (which is indeed a low bar) - not *the* greenest company, that just happens to be tech-oriented...

10. Corrine

energy efficiency

Dell has one power supply that meets the 80+ standard. It's only available on certain server models.

Better than other OEMs, but still pretty shit compared to where it should be.

11. dervheid
    Alert

so, does that mean...

that all their products are "Carbon Neutral" (oh, how I hate that ever so phoney phrase), and don't cause any further carbon emissions during their lifetime, or by their disposal (in an environmentally friendly way, of course)?

No?

Thought not.

Bullshit icon required here.

12. Albert

Agree with commments but at least Dell is trying

I do expect that Dell is not completely CO2 neutral, but at least it si trying. If other corporations the size of Dell took the same action it would have a real impact on the global environment.

We need more high profile companies saying they are going to do this and for their CEOs to support it.

A lot done, a lot more to do.

13. Tom Simnett

New Icon

I think we need a scorched earth icon...

14. Pentti Ranki

How much is 116 million kWh annually?

Is 116 million kWh annyally much? It is very, very little, representing continuous operation of 1 (read:one) windmill of 1.3 MW.

This topic is closed for new posts.