back to article Thief dresses as Apple Store drone, walks off with $16,000 in iGear

A thief in New York City was able lift more than $16,000 worth of Apple merchandise by dressing up as a store employee. The brazen bloke walked into the SoHo Apple Store location at around 5.30PM on June 1, and took 19 iPhones from the store without being detected. His clever disguise? A blue t-shirt that police said was " …

1. Dadmin
    Coat

And at the Microsoft Store...

*crickets*

"anyone want a free Lumina 19000? anyone here? hello? Dave, are we open?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And at the Microsoft Store...

'Can you hear me now?'

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

19 phones=$16,130

Boy am I glad I don't worship at that church.

Or is that an 'insurance declaration' ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

16,130/19 = $849 which in English is around £595. That is probably the retail price of a current iPhone but not necessarily the realistic value of said device ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The source story said the phones were unlocked phones. So yes, that's probably about right, especially if they were 128GB 6S+ models.

1. TheVogon

"The source story said the phones were unlocked phones"

Presumably Apple could easily turn them in locked phones by barring activation.

1. Danny 14

You can block them by blocking the imei. Yes you can tecnically get round it but most average fences wont be interested in doing so.

1. JetSetJim

IMEI blocking

You can get round that by exporting the phones to a country that doesn't participate in the stolen equipment registry. So the phones aren't worth much as they need covert shipping, and an interested party willing to sell them on.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: IMEI blocking

Again, the networks could do something about that, if they gave a shit.

Don't allow roaming registrations from SIMs issued by networks based in countries that don't participate. The countries concerned would then be looking at either doing something, or having their networks bleed to death from being unable to sell into the corp market.

1. Charles 9

Most roamers just buy local SIMs when they travel since roaming charges are usually the pits. Plus if the IMEIs have been changed out, they'd have no way to identify the stolen phones.

2. Hans 1
                Boffin

BS, get your old nokia dumbphone out of the drawer, inspect IMEI, dump that into iPhone, destroy Nokia dumbphone for good, sell iPhone -> profit!

2. Michael Habel

16,130$÷19= 850$, or near enough to make no odds. And, otherwise seems to me on the face of it a reasonable price for what was likely their top end iPhone 6 plus. It's not like your gonna walk off with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for much less then that.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        WTF?

Yes, but you only have to be gullible to shell that for an iPhone.

You have to be astonishingly, gob-smackingly, mind-bogglingly gullible to pay that for an Android device, especially one hamstrung with that god-awful Samsung UI. It's not like there isn't plenty of choice out there.

1. MartinB105

There isn't much choice if you want VR support.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

$763 worth of gear

(or $16,130 retail)

FIFY

1. Danny 14

Re: $763 worth of gear

They were stolen from the repair room. So these were either broken or refurbished then? I doubt nonrepairable phones are given new ones again (usually refurbished) and if so surely the new ones will be stored in the stock room? So if that is what the writedown on a refurb phone is, then what is the writedown on a boxed new one?

1. Olius

"So these were either broken or refurbished then?"

Correct - they only have refurbished phones in their Repair Room, in the same way that I only read in my study and I never, ever have a shower in my bathroom.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Of course, here's quite likely to be repaired phones in a repair room along (probably considerably more) unrepaired ones. If the thief managed to grab just the good ones it suggest some degree of inside knowledge.

3. energystar
    Joke

Nothing more flattering...

Offer a high level Sales slot to that kid.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's the Nelson Ha-Ha icon?

That is all.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

They were all too busy playing with their iThings to look up and noice.

I am surprised they HAVE noticed at all!!

Next time, take a Paris look-a-like along - you will be able to clean the store out!!

6. quxinot

Good job to them boys!

At least they chose a reputable profession as theives. It means that they had far too much self-respect to become politicians.

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Headmaster

Nice phone if you can get it repaired

These phones are on Apple's Blacklist now, if they show up in an Apple Store, the current owner will most likely be asked a few questions. But if owners know the providence of the phone will take it elsewhere... if they're smart anyway.

1. Anonymous IV

Re: Nice phone if you can get it repaired

> But if owners know the providence of the phone will take it elsewhere...

That would be Provenance, Rhode Island, I presume?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If Apple wanted to blacklist them they certainly don't need to wait until you come in for a repair. They can make it so the phone can't even be used at all - the moment it has a network connection and tries to check for software updates, activate or whatever they can brick it with a message "this phone was stolen, call this number for more info" and give them the number for Apple, or the authorities or whoever.

Though for $16,000 in phones it is probably not worth the effort. That's like 20-25 phones, hardly worth bothering about. The effort would be better spent in trying to make sure what this guy does can't be repeated.

1. Phil Kingston

Problem with that is that they'd have to know exactly which ones were nicked (and in retail, you never ever trust a stock list someone else made) and any sort of remote bricking for possible stolen units would harm only the current holder of the device - cue class actions for the manufacturer intentionally disabling a handset the current owner purchased for just $50 and didn't have any inkling was stolen, honest.

1. Danny 14

Inventory stock taking is mandatory for insurance purposes. This was a repair room,they will know the imei and details of each phone in there. Scan what remains and within 20 minutes you will have a list of what was stolen, their imeis blocked and replacents sorted for customers awaiting those repairs.

As for class action, nope. Buy stolen goods and it might be *you* proving you didnt know they were stolen in order to avoid a handling stolen goods rap. Bought it from ebay with the 'says IMEI blocked so selling as spares' might not be a good defence.

1. Charles 9

"Inventory stock taking is mandatory for insurance purposes."

Oh? Then explain the article El Reg had just last week: Computerised stock management? Nah, let’s use walkie-talkies.

And as noted before, what if they keep the stolen phones in faraday cages until their IMEIs are reprogrammed so that Apple can't see them anymore?

8. Adam JC

It's 2016, why are people still stealing phones?

Especially iPhones. Apple will remotely lock them and they will be about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

IMEI blacklisting notwithstanding, there is simply no point in stealing Apple devices even moreso perhaps than an Android-based one purely for the remote locking facility that's inherently present in Apple devices.. I just don't understand.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: It's 2016, why are people still stealing phones?

Perhaps the people the thieves sell to are not very saavy. It's not like the seller will have a customer service counter.

2. Craig 2

Re: It's 2016, why are people still not thinking things through....

Because the thieves themselves won't be hindered by those security measures. It will be the suckers who find out after they bought a cheap iPhone from the man on the street... (No sympathy for them either)

1. TRT Silver badge

But they guy was genuine. He had an Apple t-shirt and everything.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually a lot of time the imei is reprogrammed and the phones shipped out of the country and into south america where they fetch more money.

1. Marcelo Rodrigues
          Angel

"Actually a lot of time the imei is reprogrammed and the phones shipped out of the country and into south america where they fetch more money."

So true. But we can "thank" the manufacturer, this case. I mean, the IMEI is programmed once - so it can be programmed twice. Hence, the thriving business of stolen mobiles.

The IMEI should be "write once, never change again". In hardware, as low level as possible. One idea would be to use two string of bits as a IMEI, but reversed. So, a bit with value "1" in one string should (by hardware) be complemented with a bit of value "0" on the other.

Make it so the that a good bit circuit is read as "1", and a burned one is read as "0". With the XOR approach would be impossible to change an once burned IMEI. And the time to create it would be the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No need to enforce it via hardware, it would be pretty simple to make it so the IMEI starts as all 0s, and the code that sets the IMEI checks for all 0s and thus can only be run once.

I assume there's some reason why the IMEI is allowed to change more than once, as that seems to be pretty universal in all phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

In case a stolen phone gets recovered, in which case the IMEI is useless but the phone can go on the refurbished market if you can give it a new one.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

IMEI blacklisting notwithstanding

....and there's the problem. If the networks made even a half-arsed attempt at IMEI blacklisting[1], mobile theft would go the way of the Dodo overnight.

[1] Which would start with actually working out the IMEI last associated and blacklisting it whenever a customer says their phone's been stolen, rather than just cutting a replacement SIM and letting that be the end of it.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Like he will tell the customers that.

I bet he has no trouble shifting them. The idiot black market of inferior plastic and glass.

9. Chozo

Wetware Exploit

Please let there be video footage of this..

I wonder if it was Jayson Street doing a pentest? You may remember him from his DEFCON 19 presentation "Steal Everything, Kill Everyone, Cause Total Financial Ruin!". He does this sort of thing quite a bit. Cheap embroidered polo-shirt, cheesy fake ID and within minutes has the run of the place.

10. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Happy

Unsurprisingly...

No iWatches were taken.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Unsurprisingly...

No iWatches were taken.

I heard some additional ones were left behind.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's in big trouble ... not only theft but copyright infringement as well

1. Captain Queeg

Copyright? Do you reckon he had rounded shoulders too then. ;-)

12. Peter Clarke 1

Can they take a leaf from the car world- break them for spares and still make a profit?? How much for a genuine unused screen assembly??

1. Craig 2

Very true this, and I'm sure Apple will take a leaf out of other manufacturer's books by encoding security measures into all sub-components so that they can't be swapped for fakes. (A bit like the optical drives in XBOX consoles are locked to motherboards etc) Hasn't this already happened to a certain extent with the 3rd-party touch ID sensors?

1. energystar
        Alert

"A bit like the optical drives in XBOX consoles are locked to motherboards..."

Sharing 'ADN'?

Really is FOSS who is taking that 'virus' concept to unbelievably madness levels?

When Alzheimer comes full wind please remember me not to near this kind of 'biological risk' trash...

2. Lee D Silver badge

Given that it costs a pittance even for a cheapy replacement screen, fitted properly, I can't see that their resale value would be in parts. A "genuine" piece of glass is basically indistinguishable (and, in a survey of 500+ iPads and iPhones that have come through my office, no less likely to break - Apple products really are shitty and crack with the slightest drop, yet I've thrown my Galaxy at the floor any number of times - with the dents to prove it).

My repairers also tell me that they are almost impossible to remove without damaging because of the glues and pressures used to put them in there in the first place. It's basically "smash it again and replace it entirely" when they need to do that (misalignments, etc.).

Nope, the second-hand value of a stolen iPhone adequately reflects their real value. Almost nothing. Find-my-iPhone, IMEI blocking, unable to disassemble, and people are incredibly suspicious of Apple products that don't cost the Earth (the biggest giveaway, really).

1. Aitor 1

Sorry, you have no clue.

To remove the screen is not difficult.

The difficult part is removing the glass from the lcd.

And the screen (lcd+external glass) is quite valuable, as are all the parts.

They can probably get at least 300$ for them in parts.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Apple products really are shitty and crack with the slightest drop"

Really??? I have owned ( & dropped from ear height onto stone tiles!)) every version of the iPhone from the 3G onwards & not ONE of them has ever had a broken screen. My wife & step daughter have had my hand-me-downs & they haven't managed to break a screen either! The corners of the casing maybe chipped or scratched but no cracks, splits or breakage to the digitiser, LCD or back panel. Same with the iPads (& Surfaces) that we own. The only devices that have suffered screen breaks on dropping 18" onto soft padded carpet were the Samsung Tabs which we soon replaced with Surface's!

Maybe it is because we don't use cases or screen protectors that our devices are still in one piece with same components as were supplied out of the boxes.

3. Naselus

"Given that it costs a pittance even for a cheapy replacement screen, fitted properly, I can't see that their resale value would be in parts."

£220 at my local Apple store. Just like literally any other 'fix' to an iPhone costs £220, no matter how trivial. Meanwhile, replacing it yourself really is rather easy, as long as you have an iScrewdriver for their preposterous proprietary screws..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sounds like they charge you for labour, not parts. The parts are free, and you already paid for them in advance when you got your phone.

13. Alan Denman

What is in the genius manual for this.

Not part if their job is it?

14. photobod

'Genius bar' is apparently a policy...

...in the sense that no genius is allowed in

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suggestion

Aplexit

16. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Joke

Why didn't they...

...have fingerprint readers on the doors to staff only areas? Have Apple not heard of this?

They could just glue an iPhone to door and install an app for that!

1. Antidisestablishmentarianist

Re: Why didn't they...

I was in an Apple store the other day. They had an RFID reader on the doors to the back - needed a staff badge to get in. Was his disguise that good that a real employee waved him in?

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Why didn't they...

Given the guy knew where to find the phones an knew his way around the perps had insider info. Possibly an inside accomplice got his hands on the badge of a coworker or they stole one from an employee

17. kwhitefoot

Surely their value is zero. I thought Apple could remotely kill them. Certainly they can blacklist the IMEI number so that even if they work at all it will only be in a few third world countries.

So Apple has lost the cost of replacement but no one has gained the dollar value mentioned.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

They can also stop the phones from being registered with iCloud, which would make them pretty much useless. Surely a thief would be better off stealing the Beats headphones. Not something I would want to buy, even for £5, but some people will, and they can't be remotely identified.

2. Charles 9

Not if they can change the IMEIs on the phones or simply fence them off to the unsuspecting or to other countries that don't enforce blacklisting.

1. TRT Silver badge

The phones do have serial numbers which IIRC cannot be changed like the IMEI

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I suspect even the serial numbers can be changed, even if it means physically replacing a chip or something (look how sophisticated Chinese hack shops are, for example).

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Man walks into food outlet dressed as hamburglar....

Many hamburgers taken.

19. MrDamage Silver badge

Obligatory

You're blagging it right.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thief dresses as Apple Store drone, walks off with $16,000 in iGear...

...and the barman says "why the long face?"

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brand new iPhones maybe targeted buy I heard the opposite is true of ones belonging to people. Since icloud lock was introduced there was a massive drop in thefts and New York was mentioned in the figures. An iPhone with an icloud account on it would have a very low value to sell on as it is impossible to remove.

1. Charles 9

Given they were taken from a Genius Bar (where the phones go to get repaired), odds are the necessary credentials to unlock them were taken, too. Otherwise, the phones can't be verified fixed. Plus once they're taken, the thieves probably know a way to reprogram the IMEI and/or can then fence them off to foreign parts where blacklisting isn't enforced.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Joke

@ Charles 9

InGenius

22. FuzzyWuzzys
    Coat

Look I know I'm wrong for saying this...

...but you have to hand it to someone with the balls to try this and get away with it!

Just for the kiddies: NO! Stealing is wrong and these are very, very bad men who should be taken out back and have bullets put through their skulls. This is a worse than rape and they need to be taught to never do it again!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$16,000?!

So that'll be about half a dozen iPhones by my estimate?

24. Dan McIntyre

So given that it's pretty pointless stealing a phone nowadays as it can be rendered useless, could it be that the thief did this purely to make a point and will courier the phones back to the relevant store in the next few days?

The point made being to pay attention to what is going on and get your face out of whatever screen it happened to be in when this stunt was pulled.

Just a thought.

25. SquidEmperor

You wouldn't steal a car...

What? No one noticed the accomplice, unattended and ignored by all service staff for the 45 minutes, he just stood around waiting to be loaded up with 19 iPhones....Oh. Apple Store? Of course. Sorry I asked.

26. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Good application of Think Diffferent(ly)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like