back to article N-Gage games to equal PC games

Nokia has started development on at least one cross-platform game, codenamed "Project White Rock", which will offer an identical experience on PCs and N-Gage mobile phones, Pocket Gamer reports. RedLynx is, apparently, developing the title, which will run at the same resolution on both devices, and features over 1,000 lines of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Austin

Hmmm....

Sounds nuts to me, but after years of lapping up quirky Sega hits, and, more recently, the Nintendo DS, I've learned not to judge game "innovations" too harshly until there's a finished product to scrutinise.

2. Joe K

What a ridiculous idea

How on earth could it have the same resolution?!

So they have a magical super hi-res screen on upcoming phones that fits a 32" high-def amount of pixels into a few inches?

Or we'll be playing a PC game in a 320x212 window?

I'll pass thanks.

3. fluffy

So basically it'll look like crap on BOTH platforms

Making a cross-platform game which runs on both Windows and Symbian isn't really that big a deal. I would hope that the Windows build at least rendered at a decent resolution and framerate.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What if it was web-based?

You're all assuming it would be a standalone disc-based PC game, but what if it was a web-based one written in Flash?

Loads of web Flash games have been extremely popular over the last few years without much in the way of exciting graphics, because they're so easy to just load up and play. If Nokia makes a popular web-based online game and then lets you carry on playing it on your phone when you're away from home, that does make a lot of sense.

No idea if they'll actually do that though...

5. Andy Bright

errr??

So we'll be chucking out the 22" wide screen LCDs and World of Warcraft in favour of 3" squares and pacman?

Don't see too many PC gamers going for it somehow..

6. Greg

As above

Run at the same resolution? So I have the choice of:

1) Squinting to play a game (probably crap, from experience) that takes up a tiny percentage of my desktop.

2) Playing HL2, Counterstrike, Prey, F.E.A.R., etc.

Hmmm..... Difficult choice!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

N-Gage - Available at most Car Boot Sales

I thought the N-Gage died with the Gizmondo because they only sold 5 consoles worldwide Well if Nokia want to throw money down the drain, I'll have a free N95 please, oh and chuck in a PS3 so I can play proper games on.

8. Tom Chiverton

resolution != size

They could both have the same resolution e.g. DPI, but still have different screen sizes.

Or maybe they meant about the polygon mesh 'resolution' in the models rendered to the screen ?

It's all marketing waffle, I dunno why on earth it counts as news.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like