back to article Apple to kill off Mac OS X?

More hints that Apple will retire its “Mac OS X” brand have surfaced ahead of its annual developer conference. Support documents published by 9to5Mac indicated the platform will be rebranded macOS, the name of the Mac’s original OS when it launched in 1984, one of four Apple platforms. The others are watchOS, tvOS and iOS. …

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Given the current naming convention for iOS is clunky to say the least (9.8.4.2.3.5.1 or whatever), I was fully expecting this to be renamed iOSX in due course. This might not apply now.

2. Joe Cooper

Lame title

Nothing is being killed off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lame title

Clickbait articles kills time and credibility!

1. Vince

And ignoring that this was news to every other site a few weeks ago.

As usual clickbait, inaccurate AND out of date.

2. andrewj

Except the credibility of this site. The interest level of the content has taken a cliff swoon recently.

3. Mage Silver badge

"Nothing is being killed off."

Yet.

They removed "Computer" from name

They don't make a physical server any longer

iTunes makes iOS very profitable, OS X / Mac OS / Mac OS X really only makes a small income from niche sales of Mac.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What do mean "iTunes makes iOS very profitable"? If you add up all their services revenue (iTunes, App Store, and other smaller stuff) they make about $6 billion a quarter from it the last few quarters - slightly LESS than the revenue from selling Macs.

Of course the revenue from selling iPhones is much larger, that's where the majority of their revenue comes from.

3. /dev/null

Get with the program....

It hasn't been "Mac OS X" since Mountain Lion. These days, it's "OS X".

1. illiad

Re: Get with the program....

tomayto tomarto... when is OS XI coming out????

4. M7S
    Terminator

Trying to avoid guilt by association?

perhaps not wanting to be related to any other company's operating system version 10.....

Icon, not quite a Cyberman, but equally keen on upgrading you, regardless of your wishes

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was totally taken in

I was gripped by a feeling of panic when I read the headline. Then I read the story and saw that it referred to what may, or may not, be a possible renaming of the OS.

Mr Betteridge will be laughing at me now. I feel such a fool.

You bastards.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Noticed this the other day

Last month a search for macOS brought up the wikipedia entry first. Yesterday the same search brought up the Apple OS X home page.

Interesting that they are trying to get away from the X (10) when Microsoft have decided to jump from 8.1 to 10 and stay on 10 despite pushing new functionality down. They should've just re-branded it as just "Windows" when they had the chance.

As for OS X a new name change and built in Siri may appease the diehards, but they've clearly ran out of ideas. Running iOS apps would be a start

1. Mark 85

Re: Noticed this the other day

Seems like it doesn't it? MS has cursed the "X". I guess X-Men will have to change their name also.

7. Sealand
    Windows

Names, schmames

Having used a Mac since 1993 and having an all-Mac household I may qualify as a diehard, but the name of the OS is utterly insignificant and any traces of Siri will be turned off as the first thing.

Getting their cloud services to work properly and allowing me to kill the daily update reminders would be a great way to make me stop considering another platform.

Not a Windows user, but a grumpy old man. Harumpf!

1. Ian Michael Gumby

@Sealand Re: Names, schmames

Meh!

I was a certified NeXTStep developer back in '92. I even have an old Next logo sticker on my mac book.

So yeah, I'm showing my age too.

I do agree with the fact that you get a reminder that you have an upgrade, but in order to see what that upgrade is... you have to pull up the app store and then check out the update page to see what's really up.

Of course Apple wants you to turn on the auto updates because they tend to think that all users are typical under educated users. (Granted I don't know half of the shortcuts or features because I actually use my mac for real work. ;-)

I gave up on Windows long ago and of course I still have to fix and maintain my wife's work computers too.

1. Sealand
        Pint

@I.M.Gumby Names, schmames

"... you have to pull up the app store ..."

... which is as clunky as iTunes and as slow as Windows Update to actually show what's up.

Sigh!

To be fair, I'll probably live with those inconveniences for a while longer, because the one thing Apple has really nailed is backup. Time Machine has saved my butt more than once. Never got backup to work properly on Windows and certainly not as smoothly as Time Machine does it.

But I digress ...

Have a thumbs up and let's all celebrate the fact that it's Friday.

8. Sgt_Oddball

to be fair

Calling it OS X has been a misnomer for a while now since its become apparent they've got no plans to make an OSXI.

Though I can see why they'd want to avoid OSXI as a name (think about it phonetically with a few xtra lttrs)...

1. David Lawton

Re: to be fair

Its not moved to OS XI because software version numbers are not decimal numbers.

9. BitDr

Nothing to see here...

Move along... move along.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Apple have a mountain to climb

They have to do what MSFT have painfully achieved over the last 2 years, creating a core OS that'll run from watches to cars. The fragmented platform for OS X, iOS, watchOS etc. and multiple apps needed is a mill-stone

Of course, the fanbois will lap it up as magical and game-changing

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Apple have a mountain to climb

It Apple's profits are a millstone, I'll have one of those.

2. Mage Silver badge

"They have to do what MSFT have painfully achieved over the last 2 years, creating a core OS that'll run from watches to cars"

Actually the stupidest thing ever MS did. As stupid as having WinCE look like Win9x on a tiny screen.

It's better to have different flavours of OS and ESPECIALLY different GUI / UI / UX for different kinds of systems, user input and hugely different screen size.

I'm no Apple fan, but they did the right thing adapting OS X to give iOS and buying in Fingerworks and putting a totally different GUI on iPhone.

The Apple Watch seems to be pointless, but that's a deeper issue than OS, or the too fiddly GUI on it.

3. Andy Taylor

All the Apple OS versions have common core components.

4. Montreal Sean

@j j carter

I think you must have forgotten your sarcasm tag.

5. Updraft102

Not doing that was one of the things Apple got right, and as a guy who always identified with the lovable, goofy "PC" guy over that doofus slacker "Mac" guy in the commercials, that's not something I say lightly.

There's no need for one OS to run on a lot of dissimilar devices. Each device has a certain purpose, a specific way in which it is used, and the OS should reflect that. If you try to make one OS that works on everything, the inescapable result will be that it doesn't do anything particularly well.

Windows 8, by most accounts, was hailed as a breakthrough on mobile devices, but on desktops, it was a failure. The UI was too mobile oriented, and it was not suited for mouse and keyboard users.

So Windows brings out Windows 10. It moves the balance point back closer to the desktop, but it's still not as good as Windows 7, which was designed for the desktop without compromise. At the same time, mobile users say that Windows 10 isn't as good as Windows 8 was, and they're disappointed in the change.

Windows 10 has the dubious distinction of being inferior to other products (including other Windows versions) on multiple platforms. It can't be fully optimized for any one usage pattern when it's meant to be used on everything.

1. Grunchy Silver badge

You're absolutely right - I had Win7 on the desktop and Win8.1 on the tablet, and they both worked great! Why did I let Microsoft force me to update to Win10 on both???

It was better before!

Well, whatever.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge

"There's no need for one OS to run on a lot of dissimilar devices..."

Except if the said OS is called Linux, right?

1. m0rt

Well not really.

Linux is strictly speaking the kernel that allows an OS to interface with the hardware.

So, bearing in mind that which makes up a hardware computer is a series of lots of systems, that require the kernel for a fully fledged OS, then this is fine.

The rest of the 'stuff' that makes up the OS should be geared for the device it runs on.

2. illiad

I do think by 'dissimilar devices' he means Mobile / watch / kiosk etc...

The various types of PC (apple/ intel/ risc, etc ) are all *similar * devices...

Note also that Linux is usually JUST the Kernel, that has to be properly selected for the architecture and CPU... Only THEN is the rest (GUI, lots of other drivers ) added and call ubuntu, redhat etc.... :/

6. illiad

ACTUALLY... it is NOT Linux, but a variant of BSD/next,,,

www.freiesmagazin.de/mobil/2015-11-bilder/Unix_timeline.png

12. hypernovasoftware

Very misleading title! You bastards!

13. cd

They did this long ago...

With v10.7. Game over for me, I'd need a lobotomy to keep using it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon