back to article Latest Windows 10 build loves up cloud, banishes 'strange grey bar'

Microsoft has released Insider Preview Build 14361 for Windows 10 on PC and Mobile with a huge boost for building microservices and cloud. You can now run Docker natively on Windows 10 with Hyper-V containers, to build, ship and run containers using nano server in technical preview five of Windows Sever 2016, that’s due in the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Shome mishtake surely?

I'm not seeing El Reg's usual sneering about Windows 10!

A niave reader could think useful features have been added...

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Shome mishtake surely?

It's really another DevOps fluff article though (because Docker), so no sneering, it's not allowed near DevOps (except from commentards)

2. Steeev

"which improves DockerFile syntax"

Microsoft up to its old tricks again: embrace, extend, extinguish!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. cookieMonster Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Still... Won't....Install....

no matter what they add . . .

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Still... Won't....Install....

Curious move considering that today the 21st laptop to auto-install Windows 10 and completely fail to get WiFi back (driver issues - device missing) crossed my desk.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still... Won't....Install....

Indeed, they need to remove some things first. Forced updates, telemetry.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great news!

I can eat pizza again!

(I thought Windows 10 was just a bad dream)

6. DailyLlama
    FAIL

Will it let me turn my WiFi card on again?

1. DailyLlama

Not sure what the downvote is for... I actually really like Windows 10, it would just be nice if I didn't HAVE to have a network cable plugged into my laptop to be able to use it.

1. TRT Silver badge

I didn't down vote you but I expect it's possible to fix the WiFi card issue, especially if you have a wired connection. I always offer it to the people who come to me complaining about a malicious Windows 10 upgrade that's broken their WiFi. Invariably they've said "No, just roll it back to Windows 7".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Docker, isnt that a type of boot

So Micro$hit are letting you put the boot into their OS??

Sound OK to me!!!!!

8. Roland6 Silver badge

An extension of LastPass has been added for the Edge browser

So Edge does support add-ons, only currently MS are keeping the means to do it to themselves.

9. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

How many average users will use this stuff?

Come on now hands up there. No not you experts who lurk around this place but the 'Joe/Jolene average user'.

Well? I don't see many out there.

Sure this will be of use to enterprise users but for the average home user? Nope.

Do they eve know or care about all this cloudy containery stuff? Somehow I doubt it.

As has been said,

Still won't install it EVER ok.

1. Mark 85

Re: How many average users will use this stuff?

But they will soon enough. OneDrive? Cloudy Office? Pushing your data to their cloud? It's headed there. They don't want you to keep anything on the local PC but instead put it in their cloud so it can be monetized.. either by paying rent or maybe analyzed for ads.

Do try to keep up and also: be afraid. Be very afraid.

1. OffBeatMammal

unlike Google and to some extend Apple with their iCloud strategy.

hybrid cloud/local solutions are here to stay, and I'd probably trust MS more than I do Google not to monetize based on the content of my Word docs

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I'd probably trust MS more than I do Google"

Luckily, the 3rd option remains, trust neither and run local applications.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Google never do not monetize based on my google drive contents. However, my searches are monetized, Google 's model is clear. We can't say the same thing with MS which is spying as well without telling you.

10. Fenton

All well and good, but

All these features that the average punter will not use.

Yet simple things like the windows store breaking with insider previews are rife.

Have had to go back to a normal release build

1. Notas Badoff
      Gimp

Re: All well and good, but

Wow, someone(s) went to the trouble of creating several ids just so they could downvote MS-dismissive comments several times? What mindset would consider that a 'good' idea ... oh, yes ... nevermind.

1. Updraft102

The same mindset that says that paying people to go out there and insult MS detractors is a good marketing strategy. You can't swing a dead rat on a string without hitting Microsoft astroturfers in any of these comment sections.

1. Mark 85
          Coat

They probably use the Microsoft Tech Support people in India to do the astroturfing when not making calls about the viruses on your computer. Mines the one with the dead phone in the pocket so they can't call me.

2. VinceH
          Trollface

Wow, I wish I was being paid to insult MS - then I'd be getting paid to do something I enjoy.

3. Zoopy

"You can't swing a dead rat on a string without hitting Microsoft astroturfers ..."

You make that sound like a bad thing. Who doesn't want to hit them with a dead cat?

1. Kiwi

Who doesn't want to hit them with a dead cat?

Me. I'm kinda partial to cats.

Rats.. Well, some things even they shouldn't be used for.. How about lawyers and politicians? Need a few less of them around.

2. DailyLlama

I've been using Windows 10 since it was released in July last year, and haven't once been motivated to look at the store... no loss there!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange Grey Bar?

I guess not enough people were up with MS wanting to take them to the grey bar.

Wanting to take them to to the grey bar.

Wanting to take them to the grey bar, grey bar, grey bar.

Rumours persist that they've still got something they want to put in your computer. They've got something to put in your computer. They've got something to put in your computer. At the grey bar, grey bar, grey bar! (It's that f*****g GWX Windows 10 update, sadly).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Strange Grey Bar?