back to article Robot lung probe wins licence from US authorities

Startup Auris Surgical Robots has formally joined the robotic surgery market, securing a United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) license. Don't worry, you're not going to see The Terminator looming over you as the anaesthetic takes hold: the device, from Auris Surgical Robots, is a bronchoscope. Auris doesn't have …

1. frank ly

A robot that wriggles and jiggles and tickles inside you? What will they do if it won't come back out?

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

A robot that wriggles and jiggles and tickles inside you? What will they do if it won't come back out?

I know an old lady who swallowed a droid,

How absoid to swallow a droid!

She swallowed the droid to catch the bot...

2. Richard Jones 1
    Happy

Bronchoscope Procedure -Can Be Interesting

Safe? Yes. Useful? Yes. since it found a deep seated lung infection resistant to some antibiotics. Interesting, well I had mine done without aesthetic, usual and without sedation, not usual but I had another appointment to go to.

The feeling of something wriggling about tickling inside is a different one that may, or may not catch on.

1. Buzzword

Re: Bronchoscope Procedure -Can Be Interesting

On the NHS? That's impressive from an organisation which the papers would have us believe is on the brink of collapse at any moment.

1. Pan_Handle

@Buzzword Calm down. He's talking about standard flexible bronchoscopy, performed safely hundreds of times a week in the NHS.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

The feeling of something wriggling about tickling inside is a different one that may, or may not catch on.

Don't worry, there's device to detect and extract it, even works whilst you're a passenger in a car. I saw it in "The Matrix". And it didn't look like they used anesthetic then either.

I'll get mine, it's the leather trenchcoat.

3. M7S

Less terminator, more a robotic Alien

although to be fair you can be heard screaming, but it gets rather muffled.

If they come in with a large egg shaped container that splits open at the top, run.

4. caffeine addict
    Coat

What if someone uses the robotic one instead of the manual one? A classic case of not knowing your ARES from your Endo...

5. Sleep deprived
    Terminator

Déjà vu?

Is it another version of the robotic nasal extractor as seen in Total Recall?

6. IvoryT

Not so much medical bronchoscopy, but the real biggie may be the potential contribution to anaesthesia.

Tracheal intubation is normally routine but can be challenging, and failure in some circumstances can be rapidly fatal. Currently it is all relatively low-tech... bring on the 'bots! If this thing can reliably find the vocal cords and poke itself through then I want it in my anaesthetic room.

7. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I've seen it at work in Alien already.

Didn't like it much.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like