back to article Microsoft's Scott Guthrie wrote code live on stage for Azure devs

Microsoft’s Executive Vice President of Cloud and Enterprise, Scott Guthrie, came to London’s Mermaid Theatre on 3rd June 2016 to present to around 600 IT folk at the Azure Users Group, at an event called AzureCraft. It is unusual for someone on this page to come to this type of event, and even to engage in the precarious …

1. tiggity Silver badge

not unusal

Scott Guthrie is known for live coding in many a .NET etc presentation over the years

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Windows

F#

Is that still a thing? I thought it was Microsoft's attempt to muddy the waters for functional programming. Bit like they did with J#.

Anyone on Register using F#?

1. Naselus

Re: F#

It's still a thing. Can't say I've ever really heard of anyone using it for a much, though. Didn't MS use it for like 1 module in Server 2012 (for one of those 'other' roles no-one ever wanted, like Printer Location Service AD Integration For SQL Server 2005 or something)?

1. minnsey231
        Thumb Up

FWIW we use this as our main build scripting tool http://fsharp.github.io/FAKE/ for our .NET projects, its all written in F#.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Nothing wrong with F#, if you want an ML-family language for the CLR. Anyone with OCaml experience should be able to pick up F# easily.

I don't write production code in it, because no one else on the team uses it and they have more pressing concerns than learning a new language, but I use it occasionally for my own purposes, and I find the F# Interactive window in Venomous Studio handy for experimenting with odd corners of the Framework. (And that's saying something, since normally I avoid VS as much as possible.)

3. energystar
    Paris Hilton

This is... this is... eye misting. Surrealist. [What is going on?]

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Why reproduce the tweet verbatim ?

The tweet is reproduced in full in a pic in the article. What is the use of repeating its contents word for word ?

A bit of journalistic interpretation could have been used, instead of making me read the same thing twice and thinking I was already at pub time before 10 A.M.

5. I am the liquor

You can't beat a bit of live coding. I remember the London launch event for the original .NET back in 2002. Bill Gates' speech was deathly dull, but he was followed as the last turn of the day by Don Box. Don did his entire demo of why .NET garbage collection was A Good Thing using the command-line compiler to build code that he wrote on the fly, in, for some reason, Emacs. It was the best presentation of the day and still one of the best conference presentations I've seen.

I like to do a bit of live coding in presentations when I can. It seems to engage the audience much better than putting up a pre-constructed example. Though paradoxically, it takes considerably more preparation to look unprepared. Simplifying your demo code to the point where you can type it as you talk, while still clearly demonstating your point, is often harder than building up a complex example application.

1. energystar
      Headmaster

Well, Emacs is -actually- a Cult. </KneeBending>

Newsgroup at alt.religion.emacs.

Patronized by St IGNUcius

2. JLV

Over the years I have come to realize that simple clean code is way harder to write than what looks like more complex code.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal.

6. Carl Pearson

Strictly Black and White

Interesting that the images in the link to the M$ "Senior Leaders" page are all in B&W, while the Board's images are color...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like