back to article FAA to test Brit drone-busting kit

The US's Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will trial the "world's first fully integrated detect-track-disrupt-defeat Anti-UAV Defence System (AUDS)", developed by a trio of British companies. Blighter Surveillance Systems, Chess Dynamics and Enterprise Control Systems describe AUDS as intended "for countering drones or …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And that's going to defeat my AUTONOMOUS drone how?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, quite. And also, if my drone could use wifi, 4g, 3g, etc. could it really block all those? Or some sort of custom telemetry on some random frequency? If I'm planning something nefarious with a drone then I'm probably not going to be too scared of OFCOM turning up to complain weakly at the unlicensed spectrum use ...

1. Dadmin

Don't rule out LOS infrared/LASER or other lesser know methods of remote command and control, or the aforementioned GPS/autonomous remote-less command systems. This is more sport for the drone home brewers who like to do it near the airports.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I came here to say LOS... it doesn't even have to be LOS to the operator, either, if a second, relay, drone is used.

Maybe someone down-voted you because they misread your comment as condoning drone use near airports?

Autonomous drones are also an option, especially given the investment in machine vision and the like that everybody from MS, Intel, Google to Qualcomm are making.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

From what we've seen in terrorist attacks in recent years, they are almost exclusively low-tech. Smart phones seem to be about the most complex kit they use and that's just for sending SMS.

It's like the cold war all over again where the US "won" by outspending the USSR, or at least "leaking" fake info on capabilities to cause spending in fruitless areas.

But now it's not even the terrorists pretending to have these capabilities. It's the tech and arms companies making us think the terrorsts "might" do something so "we" have to spend a lot of money on their countermeasures.

2. itzman
      FAIL

well yes

also,there are more than one way to communicate..

2. JimmyPage Silver badge

Using AUDS, the operator can effectively take control of a drone

hmmmmmm

1. Scott 40

Re: Using AUDS, the operator can effectively take control of a drone

I don't know how this system purports to work, but a UAV's flight path can be at least disrupted by spoofing GPS. The signals are very weak. It is fairly easy to impersonate the satellites and transmit signals with manipulated timing to trick the receiver into thinking it is somewhere else. You may not be able to direct it exactly where you want it, but could easily force it away from you and out of control range of its owner. Then just let it run out of power somewhere else.

1. Anonymous Vulture
        Stop

Re: Using AUDS, the operator can effectively take control of a drone

The only problem with jamming GPS on the drone is you are jamming GPS for everyone else in the area at the same time. In the vicinity of airports this is a Bad Thing © ® ™ Modern aircraft are extremely dependent on GPS for important things like altitude, in my opinion too dependent, but that is a subject for another comment.

3. Rol

Get 'em all, then let the FAA sort 'em out

Will it also attempt to disrupt seagulls, pigeons, sparrows, starlings, blue tits, finches, crows, blackbirds, kites (winged and stringed), pelicans, flamingos, Scottish midges.......?

4. kain preacher

See this is what happens when enough ass holes screw things up. Number one rule in life. Don;t be a dick. To bad some many people ignore this rule.

5. ma1010
    Joke

And version 2.0...

...will include two small missiles launched after target acquisition. The first will home on the drone, and the second on the drone controller. Problem solved!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And version 2.0...

And version 2.0...

...will include two small missiles launched after target acquisition. The first will home on the drone, and the second on the drone controller. Problem solved!

I had a better idea. Have an autonomous drone loaded with explosive that homes in on the AUDS system and destroys it.

1. kain preacher

Re: And version 2.0...

Giggles. And watch the feds drop you in a hole and forget about you. Gitmo will look like a day spa.

6. Haku

"disrupting the flight using an inhibitor to block the radio signals that control it"

Sounds like a challenge to make a drone controllable by using a modulated beam of an IR laser.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

40Kw will do it

Back in the day with Rapier, the command TX could knock out a R/C aircraft at several km away. All down to the 40Kwatts of power coming out of the command transmitter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapier_%28missile%29

Suspect this is doing just the same. 5-8 seconds must be the time fry the electronics.

1. Dadmin

Re: 40Kw will do it

That article says NOTHING about shooting a 40kW beam anywhere to anything. That is a cute fantasy playing out in your own mind. That system only shoots physical missiles and uses varying methods (Radio/LASER/LIDAR/RADAR/etc) for control and targeting, not energy beams as weaponry. You should read what you link to before you error as you did.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: 40Kw will do it

> That system only shoots physical missiles and uses varying methods (Radio/LASER/LIDAR/RADAR/etc) for control and targeting,

You missed the point, Dadmin. What AC said is that whilst Rapier uses physical missile to shoot down enemy aircraft, Rapier's radar targeting system was powerful enough to upset the electronics in amateur radio-controlled aircraft - after all, it was designed to be powerful enough to defeat any jamming attempts. Given the targeting radar used a narrow beam, and required a separate generator (let's use that as a rough proxy for its power output) it is plausible.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 40Kw will do it - But it's a bit less

Frequency coverage: GPS L1 (1575.2MHz), 915MHz ISM, 2.4GHz ISM.

RF output: GPS L1: 1W nom, 10W into antenna, 915 MHz ISM: 40W into antenna, 2.4GHz ISM, 40 to 50W into antenna.

Antenna: Three integrated 15dBc circularly polarised high gain.

(now tucking the brochure away in my desk drawer)

8. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Couldn't they just buy some shotguns and hire some rednecks?

9. Wommit

During a little unpleasantness in the South Atlantic, I and a group of fellow techies, put together a radar jamming system. When tested locally (in the UK) it quite happily brought down RC aircraft.

Really pissed of the local RC flying club too, but they had been warned not to fly, so tough luck. Amused us though.

10. hellwig

Phalanx

Slap a Vulcan on that thing, and you've got the UAV-equivalent of a Phalanx.

1. SkippyBing

Re: Phalanx

GAU-8 and you've got a Goalkeeper.

No, I don't believe you can have overkill, why do you ask?

1. Mark 85

GAU-8 and you've got a Goalkeeper.

No, I don't believe you can have overkill, why do you ask?

Exactly. Fortune favors the very well armed.

2. hplasm
        Mushroom

"No, I don't believe you can have overkill, why do you ask?"

Maxim 37: There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

1. Myvekk

All hail the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries!

(Once known as "The S***n Habits of Highly Effective Pirates", but that was before The Great RetCon of Twenty-Eleven. http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/the-great-retcon-of-twenty-eleven/)

11. David Roberts
    WTF?

Blighter Surveillance Systems?

As in "We'll just keep tabs on the blighters?"

12. Ru'

Wonder how well it would do with almost-ground-level UAV flights; plenty of drone pilots can happily fly at full speed through trees etc.

But hey, there have been so many flights aborted/brought down by drones something really needs to be done, eh!

1. SkippyBing

'But hey, there have been so many flights aborted/brought down by drones something really needs to be done, eh!'

Yes lets wait for the accident to happen before taking preventative action.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

We always wait for the accident.

We always wait for the accident.

Every safety idea you have, every bit of "common sense" on safety, every rule written has been done so in blood. A new or unique threat will always be ignored by industry and governments until after the accident.

Seen this first hand, wrote a report explaining the new threat, presented it to the safety committee of which I was a member, and recommended basic, simple, cheap responses and barriers to inform people of the risk and keep them at a safe distance. Committee rejected the idea that there could ever be a problem, that groups of engineers much wiser than safety committee members had already assured them there was no safety concerns. After that they no longer supported my membership on their committee.

Long after I left I was told there was an incident. The committee used my report, which one of them still had, to respond to the incident. They even used my write up to explain the hazard and they put in place all the steps I had suggested to keep people safe. Nice to be proven right but the real lesson is we always have to wait for the accident, and pointing it out ahead of time is a bad thing unless there is profit or political power to be gained.

Without blood no new safety rules can be written and even then most require massive amounts of red blood, though less is required if the blood spilled is blue.

1. SkippyBing

Re: We always wait for the accident.

Oh, I know, although the regulator to which I work says we should be going beyond compliance and predicting the next accident to prevent it before it happens. While also having a course where predicting the future is compared to driving a car down a country road at night, without headlights, looking out the rear window.

I just think it's ironic that when regulators try and prevent accidents before they happen someone from the cheap seats complains they're being needlessly restrictive as no one's died. Yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like