back to article Android might be on the way to the Raspberry Pi

Android might just be coming to the Raspberry Pi. Evidence for the development can be found here in the recently-created android/device/pifoundation/rpi3 directory at android.googlesource.com. It's an empty tree and has been since its creation on April 19th, 2016 by someone called Thomas Joseph Avila who has a google.com …

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Sure it's a good thing for the Pi ecosystem, but as a means to improve children's education about how computers work is hiding everything Android style desirable?

I suppose it gives an App dev platform.

1. Chris Evans

Not a problem!

It would only be a problem if it hindered Raspbian and the other OSs etc. I can't see it doing that.

I've no use for it myself.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Not a problem!

I think its only Brillo IoT Android that is brewing for the Pi, at least to begin with

OK it will extend the reach of the Pi even more, but Pi already has a honed linux distribution and Android is just a linux kernel with Google cruft.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Adam52 "Everything hidden" as excuse Android exclusion

Did MS provide the full source for the windows 1D IOT then or make the operation of the OS more overt than the android SDK?

Last time I went to the "other OS/Android" section of RPi forums the formatting was still corrupted to force RPi users wishing to discuss Android on the RPi off the server.

I am not saying Android RPI is a must, merely that is something that people wanted and restricting options is not what the RPi is supposed to be about.

Add in the fstupid limitations imposed on posters and mods on the same forum by the foundation regarding the then news of RPI3 FCC documents suggests a policy of MammaKnowsBest. See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/26/raspberry_pi_3/ and the RPI forums for all the people who had their posts referring to subject deleted.

Lastly I bought at least one of every RPi (except the zero) so until MammaKnowsBest starts giving the RPi away for free I think I should get a choice on what OS and applications I would like to play around with on the hardware I purchased.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Not sure...

how I feel about this, except that I have one application that I'd love to use a Pi for, but it needs android (or me to do a whole pile of porting)

3. Michael Habel

This would have the potential to be sooo awesome... If the Pi3 actually came with more then just the 1GB of LPDDR2, that came with it. As it is... Android Marshmallow (Or Tedy Nuget McNugatface... When it lands in the Fall), will likely run like a two legged dog, with a bad limp.

Other then that, I'd be all over it, as a replacement for my chepo Chinese Android MXIII Box which will never see an update past v4.4.2. And, due to it being Chinese... Sources with which to build something like CyanogenMod 12.1 / 13.0, are virtually impossible to get a hold of.

That my new masochistic hobby is in fact building Android from source I'm sure I could have endless hours knocking my head into the Keyboard with that... But, again whats the point of it, when you just don't have the RAM to comfortably run it?

1. Sampler

Pine64 comes with 2GB?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pine64

The Pine 64 runs Android 5 and linux well and I would say compares very favorably with the RPi in terms of general performance however there have been problems.

Shipping of Pine64 purchases had been delayed significantly (months originally) with forum posters who did get deliveries complaining of missing/faulty parts.

IMHO the management team bought in expertise to design the board but seemed to hit every pitfall that an experienced team would have avoided when bringing the product to market.

Things seemed to have improved a lot since the team have actually learned what to avoid the hardway but little things like making a guy into a mod who posted continually how inexpensive the board as ultimate justification for everything when people complaint that it did not work as advertised has made most technically competent people abandon the forums. On the community side the pine is no match for the RPi in terms of quantity of people willing to do something rather than waiting around for someone else to do it for them.

4. Steve Graham

Another slice of pi

I bought a tablet with a broken screen for £15 and took the circuit board out. HDMI, audio, microSD, wifi, Android...

I couldn't think of anything to actually use it for.

1. joeW

Re: Another slice of pi

Classic console emulation perhaps, with a couple of China-brand bluetooth gamepads?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Hmm, tricky - it either has to work with a TV or monitor you already have, or you have to source a dedicated screen (by which time the cost will probably have defeated the object)

Maybe it can share a monitor, mouse and keyboard with your desktop PC, by means of a KVM switch? It could be used for when you don't want to use your main PC (because of noise, or power usage concerns, perhaps) or when you can't (your main PC is busy doing something).

I can't immediately think of any compelling use for a headless Android device - but if you do, this app called 'AutoStart - No root' does what it says on the tin, going by the reviews.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autostart&hl=en

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Splashtop" also does remote desktop on android and windows (possibly others too). Free app for local LAN and paid for for VPN or something over the net.

2. Dadmin

Also the Androidy version of XBMC/Kodi, the player or the remote, make an old Android pad/device/player quite useful in it's later life. At about three years old, I expect the batteries to fail soon though. I also use my larger of the three devices for a wifi security camera monitor. I just won't be banking or exposing my credit card number to them anymore. Two of these old pads only have 800MB of RAM, and they are noticeable unable to run newer games, hence their limited use for that purpose.

As for Android N or Marshmello on a RPi3? As someone above mentioned; not going to be enough memory. It would need closer to 2GB of RAM to make it fast and responsive with the new G-OS, and have some left over for the GPU. And where/how are they going to expose the GPIO ports in Android? I'll set this up on one Pi, but most will still run Raspbian or XBMC for the usefulness in those distros.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thats because its broken.

5. Ken 16 Silver badge

Remix OS?

Might be a nice desktop

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Remix OS?

ChromiumOS has been made to boot on Pi 2 and Pi 3s, but is a little slow and the WiFi is unreliable, apparently. I only mention it here, because unlike Android, there are builds available right now.

It's interesting to think about what the upcoming inclusion of Android apps on ChromeOS means for Remix OS... will RemixOS remain as compelling an option for many people?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Remix OS?

There have been android builds relased but without hardware graphics support so again slow

6. Tom 7

Can I use it with google cardboard

on a 42" monitor?

I used to headbang so the neck is up to it, is android?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like