back to article Nutanix slims down code, chases after small business

Nutanix is having a crack at the medium-sized business market with a product called Xpress. The new product is a hyperconverged hardware and software bundle that Nutanix says starts at US$25,000 for an entry-level three-node cluster capable of running from 10 to 400 or 500 virtual machines. Nutanix says the secret sauce is …

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

About damn time.

2. Marc 25

you're positively drowning us in details here...

3. Bob Magoo

Hyper-V

You'll still have the Hyper-V "fees" for the Windows licensing

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hyper-V

So, right. No matter how you virtualize Windows Server, one still has to pay for the Windows licenses. OK, that said, this means that Nutanix is charging for their Hypervisor in the solution because you have the Nutanix charge, then the Windows licenses. I love their " look over there, fees. Fees bad, we're good. Pay us, not them" approach.Clever, oh so clever. Sure to work handily in the long term.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Hyper-V fees"

Pray tell what those "Hyper-V fees" are all about.

5. Lusty

Just in time for the exodus to public cloud :)

6. Androgynous Cow Herd

Sounds like a "LT" or Crippleware version...

Classic, strip out a few important features, show a lower list price, wait for the upsell once the customers are on the platform and realize that feature "X" was a bit more than a "nice to have".

Customers love that approach. Be sure to tell those small shops how they would NEVER use those enterprise class features...

I think Nutanix needs to figure out what market they want to play in.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sounds like a "LT" or Crippleware version...

VDI, their market is VDI.

1. Cloud 9

"VDI, their market is VDI."

Which is why they're certified for SAP.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They are not certified for HANA, and SAP apps are just certified against hypervisors in general (I.E. Anything running VSphere is cool etc).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

VDI is (Normally) a CPU bound workload these days. A product that hijacks 30% of my hosts CPU to do its job really is the worst possible product for VDI....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice to see them validate scale computing

Who lead with this model like 4 years ago. Must really chap their ass to have to compete on price after screwing people for years with overpriced software on subpar hardware. Guess what, Cisco and EMC can eat their losses, Nutanix can't.

IPO ain't gonna happen. They are already asking workers to go part time, next comes layoffs, then the Down round and then someone picks up whatever IP they have that isn't a hodgepodge of prior art for pennies.

Hubris and karma are well acquainted friends.

1. Cloud 9

Re: Nice to see them validate scale computing

^^ They're hiring like crazy at the moment. I think you're deliberately skewing flexible working opportunities to create a rather twisted picture which suits your own narrative. If there were lay-offs in the company, I suspect El Reg would be first to report it and we wouldn't find out via some snide 2 bit commentary written in the margins by an anonymous account.

2. Marc 25

IPO ain't gonna happen. They are already asking workers to go part time...

With all due respect, that's absolute toss.

Close to 100 new staff in the UK alone this year. Just posted their best ever quarter.

No signs of slowing at all.

FYI: Not a Nutanix employee.

1. thegreatsatan

I guess thats why they are borrowing money at crime syndicate rates to float them to an IPO http://www.marketwatch.com/story/goldman-loans-75-million-to-ipo-hopeful-nutanix-2016-05-31-111035156

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like