back to article 90 days of Android sales almost beat 9 months' worth for all flavours of Win 10

Microsoft has trumpeted the fact that 300 million devices now run Windows 10, but the scale of its failure to extend its operating system dominance into mobile can be seen in the fact that of the 349 million smartphones sold in 2016's first quarter, 293.7m ran Android. And just 2.4m ran Windows Phone. Those numbers come from …

1. jb99

They are not comparable.

You can't compare "sales" of windows and android.

One is an actual computer operating system. The other is a kind of phone. They are not the same thing.

You might as well say that cheese is more popular than windows because people eat cheese every week.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They are not comparable.

Since throughout the article, including the tables, it's made clear that the numbers are for smartphone sales, I'd say you're completely missing the point.

1. jaywin

> Since throughout the article, including the tables, it's made clear that the numbers are for smartphone sales, I'd say you're completely missing the point.

From the article:

"Not all is lost for Microsoft's, because we know that PCs still ship at a rate of 230m units a quarter and the majority of those run Windows"

The author *is* trying to compare Android sales to Windows desktop sales.

To be fair, I've bought 3 android devices in the last year (all "too cheap to be true" experiments). Two of them have gone in the bin, the other will be soon since I replaced it with a Tesco W10 cheapo tablet which so far seems far nicer for basically the same price. I'd be surprised if there's anywhere near that disposal rate with Windows devices.

1. Patrician

"I'd be surprised if there's anywhere near that disposal rate with Windows devices."

There wouldn't be as Microsoft haven't sold enough Windows Phones to get anywhere near that rate.

2. Lee D Silver badge

"windows and android"

"One is an actual computer operating system. The other is a kind of phone."

Er... are you SURE you're supposed to be on an IT site? Last time I looked they were both operating systems.

1. naive

There is a core of truth in it. Android runs fine on phones, but it does not have the wide range of applications windows has, at least not until Google attempts to conquer the desktop as well, which they could easily do if they wanted. But since they are already receiving lots of incoming fire from racketeers like the EU and Oracle, they probably will be careful not to expose themselves too much.

So until then, the world is still bound to windows if it wants to run Doom4 on a NVIDIA 980 in high res.

1. BurnT'offering

With the blending of Chrome and Android, Google may well have a 'good enough' desktop OS for what most people need.

2. kmac499

OH Yes they are; Fair enough the comparsions show up a large number of differences. The largest being the ability to run multiple applications in visible floating windows at the same time on Windows as opposed to maybe a couple of apps in tiles on Android.

BUT on my android based phone and tablet I can run word processing, spreadhseets, etc (polaris office) Mind mapping software and evernote for ideas capture, Terminal programs to support customers at a distance etc. Plus a whole load of stuff that is difficult on a standard Windows machne GPS mapping, simple VR Yes you can get these on windows but I would argue these were added as a 'me too' feature rather than designed in from day one.

Each OS excelling in their native ecosystem. However I would argue it is far easier for Android to expand and colonise the Windows world than t'other way around.

What should really seal the deal is the number of devices running a windows derived OS vs the number of devices running a GNU\Linux derived OS.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Well done! But don't forget all that lovely data you are providing to the Google 'Big Data' machine that is powering its AD AI system.

There are downsides to running Android, just as with any OS.

Just because the largest amount of Sheep are Androids (Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?) it does not mean that it is the best environment.

IMHO, the more choice there is the better which kinda makes me sad that MS is AFAIK, letting W10 mobile wither and die. It remains to be seen if there is a Surface Phone around the corner but even if there is, there is a huge great mountain for it to climb before it becomes relevant.

3. sabroni Silver badge

Re: racketeers like the EU

"Say, nice internet site you have here. Fancy paying us to put you at the top of the list when people search for "The register"? You don't? Oh well, maybe some other tech news sites would like to pay us to go at the top of the list when people search for "The register"..... Well yes, I suppose that could impact on your discoverablilty but that isn't my problem. Of course, american express would do nicely!"

The EU are the racketeers?

4. W. Anderson

Re: They are not comparable. Say Whaaat!

The fact that the whole article and results posted by Garnter, also corroborated by several other credible Market Research Firms like Forrester, etc, cover the "SMARTPHONE" operating systems - Windows Mobile and Android, then commenter " naive" is just as idiotic as jb99 in their attempted rebuttal to the article facts.

Furthermore, there are reportedly more than 850,000 Apps for Android, most of which will be available soon for ChromeBooks and other Linux-based computing devices in very near future - source Google - , as "native" Apps/Applications, not Web only, such as Microsoft Office/ Office365 and hundreds of others for productivity and business.

Why are so many Windows slavish people on The Register forums that have no mental connection to reality or facts? While they may elicit some sympathy from the general Windows using public, they really need to seek counselling to get a new life in reality.

5. MJI Silver badge

One simple thing.

Most Windows applications are WIN32 or X64

If a Windows phone cannot run WIN32 it is at a huge disadvantage in numbers of applications.

So Windows phones are niot proper Windows, and until WIN32 works on them will not be.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Yes you can compare them, they're comparing phone OSes. Windows 10 Mobile (or whatever it's called this week) is nowhere to be seen.

4. dajames

You can't compare "sales" of windows and android.

One is an actual computer operating system. The other is a kind of phone. They are not the same thing.

That's a little unfair ... I think a lot of people would claim that Windows was an OS too.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@"You might as well say that cheese is more popular than windows because people eat cheese every week."

Cheese is more popular than windows because people browse the web, do their emails on cheese, check their messages, check their calendars, even run Office apps (both Microsoft and many others) on cheese... oh and cheese also makes calls, runs 4G access points, handles wifi better.

Cheese-N now supports multi-window (both split screen and free window on preview tablets). It always supported mice and keyboards. And it has access to far far far more apps, far cheaper processors, from far more vendors, it has a far smaller memory footprint, is far cheaper to produce, makes far better use of flash space, far less historical crud, and less battery drain on mobile.

Microsoft is only 15% of the OS market, 0.7% of the mobile market.

But hey you can still say it dominates the "desktop" market, at least for a while.

I wonder, we have 24 core ARM v8 processors for servers, but as Android moves into the desktop market, those chips will be very useful for video editing, number crunching etc. Intel needs to get its sh*t together too, still selling 4 cores at hundreds of dollars.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Would that be Wensleydale Grommitt?

Yummies.

I'll take a Cheese Toasty over W10 anyday.

1. Dwarf

@Steve Davies 3

+1 on the Cheese Toasty, but only if you add onion too.

The nearest food analogy for Windows 10 is like eating tongue

Its tasting you back when you are eating it.a bit like the spyware.

2. Luther Blissett

Windows and cheese are highly comparable. Both are full of bugs.

6. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Even the BBC thinks microsoft are assholes

Sigh.

1. JLV

Re: Even the BBC thinks microsoft are assholes

Wow, that is incredibly underhanded, even by the standards of the Win 10 sneakware. Whoever authorized that should be terminated.

Quoting PC World:

"""Normally, closing the dialog box by clicking the red box in the upper righthand corner automatically opted out. Over the weekend, clicking that red box started opting users in to the upgrade

"""

I wonder when MS is going to wake to the fact that, following the Win 8 debacle, they need to be perceived as nice. Spyware telemetry, for all the supposed intent to better known one's users, is not helping.

And this is just too far off the charts to be acceptable. It's not an obscure, for-geeks-only, discourse about sneaking in Win 10 via security patches. Everyone has certain expectations about dialog boxes and will not take kindly to being fooled.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Its about time the RNIB took them to Court, for disability discrimination.

An organisation such the RNIB (Royal National Institute for Blind People) really needs to start a prosecution against Microsoft under the Equality Act 2010.

Does no one at Microsoft realise their responsibilities to People less fortunate than them?

7. W. Anderson

Re: They are not comparable? Say Whaat!

Since the article is exclusively about "smartphones" and since there is a Windows smartphone Operating System (OS) that serves the same function as Android for smartphones, then jb99 is either a complete ignoramus or a completely idiotic Windows shill or both.

8. a_yank_lurker

The key is that Android devices far out sell all Winbloat devices no matter what Slurp says. This has several implications for Slurp and Winbloat. They are not the dominant force they were about 10 years ago but just another vendor heavily concentrated in business. Also, this means many are used to the idea of using multiple OSes which means they no longer see a need to be all Winbloat or even consider Winbloat if they perceive another is better suited. Slurp is in danger of losing the home market entirely which means they will need to fight hard to keep the business market.

2. Ralph B

Chinese Manufacturers

> Firstly, Chinese manufacturers now fill spots three through five on Gartner's top five list.

Erm, aren't Apple's phones manufactured in China too?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Chinese Manufacturers

So are lots of Samsung's. But that's not the point. The interesting thing is that Chinese companies are doing their own design and marketing.

Being the outsourced manufacturing destination of choice is not a long-term strategy for the Chinese economy. Their wages have gone up, and so they're now facing competition from elsewhere. Those jobs won't all disappear overnight though, they just need to start moving up the value-chain, if they want China's economy to keep on improving.

3. Dwarf

Convergence

Well, at least at this rate, Microsoft will achieve their goal of alignment across their technologies.

Poor sales on everything based on Windows 10 ....

But don't forget the marketing BS that its the most popular OS ever

4. Paul Shirley

sometimes I'm easily pleased

Not seeing Orlowski regularly pop up ludicrously claiming 10% Winphone share in Europe makes me happy. (Not so) Strangely the couple of people I know that had Winphones no longer do, back to a big round zero.

1. Danny 5

Re: sometimes I'm easily pleased

I'm still on Windows phone, but boy am i sorry about my choice in mobile platforms. I loved my Lumia 900 and i loved my 1020 even more, but since getting a 950, it's been a complete nightmare. I'm so fed up with the device (and it only took 2 months!), that i am never going to get a Windows 10 device again. As soon as one comes out, i'll be looking at the Nokia branded Android devices that are coming, it's impossible for it to be worse than the piece of crap i currently have.

The screen on my 1020 shattered, which is why i moved to the 950. I am seriously considering getting the screen on my 1020 replaced and moving back to that.

1. Can't think of anything witty...

What are the issues with it?

1. Danny 5

The battery life is downright appalling for starters. That used to be one of the strong points, now it's one of the weak points, which is baffling to me. The device also has fairly frequent crashes, rebooting the device. Bluetooth seems to be a major factor in that too. Speaking of which, bluetooth doesn't work properly. Bluetooth devices get locked to the phone and even turning off the service doesn't disconnect the device, only a reset works. Several normal apps also hang, or even crash the phone. The menu buttons at the bottom fade away, but have a habit of popping back up at the worst of times. If you're a mobile gamer, be prepared to suffer great frustration, because you'll be warped to the start screen when the damn thing pops up. I play a real time game and i have to be on my toes, because several times the game auto-closed the instant i got pulled to the start screen by this "feature". Battery drain is also a problem, which is something i just cannot understand. How on earth does this still happen?

To top it off, this "flagship" bears no hallmarks of what made the Lumia a great series of devices in the first place. The look and feel are cheap and generic and there are barely any physical features that distinguish it from other devices. The only nice feature is the removable back cover, which reveals a removable battery.

I'm still on Windows Phone 8. And so far avoiding upgrading. Incidentally, to be fair to Orlowski, he's been a fan of Win Phone, but been consistently rude about 10 as well.

I'm happy at the value end though. I don't believe in spending north of £400 on a phone. I want something cheap and cheerful, that works well, with decent battery life. Apps are for the tablet. For me it's a phone first, with texts, email, calendar and sat-nav in that order. I sometimes use it for the internet, but I'd much rather tether my iPad. My Mum really likes hers too. I've recommended Droids to most other people that have asked, or iPhone if that floats their boat.

But Microsoft just don't seem to be properly arsed. It's like they've bought into the idea for the last 15 years that they need to be big in mobile, they've made enough effort to be big players (they had half the "smartphone" market in 2004), and as soon as they get something half decent out there - they just stop working on it. For all the upgrade nagging, Windows 10 is nice. 7 was great. 8.1 would have been good too - if only they'd spent the effort on hitting us over the head with Metro on the desktop on Win Phone instead, then it and Win Phone 8 might have been brilliant.

But again, they're failing to bring out nice new handsets - and not bothering to put the final polish on Win Pho 10. And they'll deserve to fail. I'll be sad. And I guess my next phone will be a Droid. Which is fine, but I'm not a huge fan. I do lust after a Galaxy Note, but I don't believe in spending over £200 on a handset.

2. Aoyagi Aichou
        Windows

@Danny 5

I'm running W10M on 1020, it's not lightning speed, but perfectly usable (albeit only through the Insider Programme thanks to Microsoft being a bunch of lying scumbags). The hardware itself feels incomparably better than the 950(XL).

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I'm still on Windows phone, but boy am i sorry about my choice in mobile platforms. I loved my Lumia 900 and i loved my 1020 even more, but since getting a 950, it's been a complete nightmare.

That sounds the tale of someone soundly punished for their loyalty!

Sounds like getting your screen fixed would be a good investment Remember when we used to keep phones for more than six months? Even though the latest and greatest devices are generally fantastic, something from a couple of years ago generally does the job just as well.

But It's a real pity. Although I'm a staunch critic of Microsoft, there is no doubt that they did provide Nokia with the basis for some excellent phones and I might have bought one if I could have got CyanogenMod on it. However, with a market share of less than 10% this was never going to fly, which is why Nokia got out of the business. Still a mystery as to why Microsoft bought it only to sideline and then trash it. Maybe that was just one of the many things that Ballmer started that Nadella didn't think was such a good idea. Got to give him credit for acting accordingly.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: provide Nokia with the basis for some excellent phones

Only part true. Hard to agree MS had any beneficial effect on the quality of the hardware, that's all Nokia. They did indeed provide a shippable OS where Nokia had dithered and failed to complete multiple attempts themselves. But shippable & good/desirable aren't the same and you need willing buyers as well as a shipping product.

More telling, neither iOS or Android appear to have done anything in reaction to WP. No OS features copied, no attempt to compete with the hardware (though only Nokias cameras stand out on the WP side), I'm not sure either have even run any PR against the lame duck.

Re: provide Nokia with the basis for some excellent phones

But shippable & good/desirable aren't the same and you need willing buyers as well as a shipping product.

I think Microsoft have managed "good" twice in the world of mobiles. Desirable not so much...

Windows Mobile 5 was good, back in 2004. It wasn't wonderful and you mostly needed a stylus, though you could peck through making phonecalls with your finger. You had barely acceptable emaill, OKish satnav and a reasonable phone, in one package with reasonable battery life. I seem to remember they were up to 50% smartphone share, as a disappointed Sony Ericsson P800 owner (UIQ Symbian that was imcompatible with Nokia's Series 60 Symbian) I'd played with both sides a bit. We had some O2 XDAs (or similar) for work.

MS just failed to update it. Was it crap management, disinterest, or the desperate attempt to get Vista to market consuming all their programming and management resources? Or a combination? Or had Gates been pushing mobile, and Ballmer didn't care as much, so it died in the transition? Anyway, they were singularly unprepared for the dawn of the iPhone and the arrival of lots of devices with capacitative screens. No sylus any longer, and a much, much nicer UI required. It took 2 YEARS for Windows Mobile 6, which was a no-man's land that they'd already announced was a quick-and-dirty update to be replaced by the incompatible Win Pho 7.

That was nice, but incomplete. I bought it, because I got an OK smartphone for £120, when the cheapest usable Android was about £200 for last year's model that was no longer receiving updates. And my HTC Wildfire was a shit slow processor and crap memory in a beautifully designed case, and required reboots a couple of times a week, and Android 2.2 was sometimes quite flakey.

Work foisted an iPhone on me, which was OK. But I've got an iPad for apps, and so when that died (our batch of 5s had all failed within 30 months - 2 with 2 years - and 2 were replaced under warranty before that!), I tried Win Pho 8.

So MS scrambled, rather painfully slowly to Win Pho 8, a year late, which was pretty damned good. A bit of polish and some apps were all it needed. But two years later Win Pho 10 still isn't ready.

They got to 10% marketshare in Europe. There was potential for improvement. But not enough resoureces, either marketing or OS programming, have ever been committed. Management seem to care just enough to waste billions, without doing enough to actually succeed. And this has been consistent now for over a decade. Androids at the £100 are now fine to excellent, and Nokia/MS only had one top-of-the-line phone that was truly outstanding, with a super camera, and barely marketed it. Plus MS were too cheapskate to license or buy the tech off Nokia, and so lost any chance of a unique top-of-the-range phone, so no obscene profits for them. While Apple and Samsung can happily charge £500 for flagship phones that probably make them twice as much profit as tablets, where prices have actually fallen, using identical parts.

It's a shame. At least, when I go back to Android, I'll be able to customise it. I resent having to work to get a decent phone UI, but on the plus side I'll have the use of a decent App Store. Sadly the advantage of a company that cares about keeping the software up to date is wasted, as Google commit the resources, but then fail to force the manufacturers to actually distribute the updates.

4. arctic_haze

" I'm so fed up with the device (and it only took 2 months!), that i am never going to get a Windows 10 device again."

Luckily for you there may not be any more Lumia models. You are stuck with the final vagary of the sinking line.

However, you may be lured in future by Microsoft into buying the new and better SurfacePhone (or whatever they will name it) and live to regret it. Just remember you have been warned.

5. Bob Vistakin
    Holmes

Symbian

In 2011 microsoft were deciding whether to go with Android. They chose not to, and eventually bought, raped and murdered Nokia. They are now completely irrelevant in mobile.

There are two fascinating what-ifs around this. First, had Nokia been able to resist them, and release their own Android phone, we'd not see the massive Samsung Android dominance we have today, but likely a Nokia/Android equal split with both more than capable of innovating and delivering the quality needed to keep ahead.

The other one is Symbian. Don't laugh - this is 2011 days. Given that microsoft decided to go their own way anyway, what would have happened if they had done this but instead used the massive engineering resource they just bought to further develop Symbian to the point it had the same iOS/Android features? Would we today see the duopoly, with microsofts own at < 1%, or would "Microsoft Symbian" be a realistic 3rd contender with all the mindset, ecosystem leverage and brand loyalty that came with it, if handled right?

1. ShaolinTurbo

Re: Symbian

I guess we will never know... As we are dreaming fantasies I would rather ask what if back in 2010 Nintendo teamed up with Palm and made a Nintendo phone based on WebOS. Mario giving me turn by turn directions on the maps. A quick bit of Mario Kart on the train to work. WebOS with a nice solid bit of Nintendo hardware. Now that's something I would buy!

1. Bob Vistakin
        Headmaster

@ShaolinTurbo All that, plus mobile Clippy as the UI, and I'm in.

Btw typo in orig post, of course I meant "but likely a Nokia/Samsung" ...

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

The replacement for Symbian was due to be MeeGo, but Elop drowned it in a bath. The N9 sold very well in the few countries it was released, and people in Germany went across the border to find them. It picked up numerous awards and outsold the Lumia.

3. dajames

The other one is Symbian. Don't laugh - this is 2011 days.

In 2011 Symbian was already dead in the water.

For a long time Symbian was the only decent mobile around, but it was flawed. When IOS and Android appeared its days were numbered. (I'd mention Blackberry here too but for the fact that RIM went all headless-chicken in the run-up to BB10 and threw away their market advantage.)

Symbian had two big technical problems:

One was that its ABI was based on an obsolete version of the GNU C++ toolchain for ARM. That meant that until GNU changed their ABI (which they had to do to support C++ exceptions) one could write C++ code for Symbian and essentially regard the target device's ROM as a shared library -- a nice trick, and one that had worked well for Psion (Symbian's authors) in their earlier 16-bit x86 organisers. However, when gcc added support for c++ exceptions (whch were late coming to the ARM toolchain) the ABI had to be changed and was no longer the same as that used by the ROMs of millions of existing Symbian devices. Psion couldn't retroactively change the ROMs in all devices so Symbian was stuck with an obsolete version of gcc with increasingly poor support for the evolving C++ standard. Psion should have realized that the gcc ABI was liable to change and not designed an OS that depended on it not doing so. It was pretty obvious that a change was coming -- in the absence of exceptions Psion had had to invent their own (notoriously difficult to use) "trap" mechanism for error handling and must have seen that the existing ABI would need to be changed to add C++ exception support. Non-standard C++ features like the trap mechanism meant that Symbian C++ wasn't standard C++, and Symbian code was harder to write than code for other platforms -- with the result that there were fewer third-party apps for Symbian than there might have been.

The other was that Psion bowed to pressure from OEMs and allowed them to replace the top layer of the presentation stack with their own code. This was done so that different vendors could offer Symbian devices with different GUIs and so create distinctive branding of their devices ... but it was done in such a way that prevent third-party developers from writing a single executable that would run on every vendor's devices, so developers had to write multiple front-ends and market the same app as mumtiple different products, each for a different GUI. It should have been possible to define a presentation API and allow different OEMs to write their own front-ends so long as they supported the standard API and so support common third-party apps, but that wasn't done. That pretty-much put the kibosh on Symbian ever being able to offer a universal app store along the Apple lines and denied them a major potential source of income.

Most apps are crap, but the app store was a major factor in the rapid uptake of IOS devices. Had Symbian been able to offer the same thing they might have been able to hold onto much more market share for longer.

I'm not laughing, it's tragic.

1. asdf

>Psion should have realized that the gcc ABI was liable to change and not designed an OS that depended on it

Wasn't it originally supposed to be a one off but due to the supposed future project failing miserably became their go to?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Symbian wasn't supposed to offer an common app store or a common UI, that was up to the manufacturer - Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola, or whoever.

Nokia took great pains to share their app store profits with the operator.

With Apple, the whole lot went to the manufacturer and none to the operator.

Until Android came along, there was no such thing as a common app store where the profits went to the OS developer and left both the manufacturer and the operator out.

4. Aoyagi Aichou

While I've been using a Symbian smartphone as my primary phone for years now (808), I don't think they would be able to fix Symbian in time without some form of "burning platform (MeeGo)"... and as much as I like Symbian, I don't think it would be, at the time, the better choice of the two.

Of course, Microsoon came and made third, the worst choice, but that's another story.

6. Amardeep

OPPO

Just tired going to https://europe.oppostyle.com/ to check out their prices and:

europe.oppostyle.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate expired on 05 February 2016 23:59. The current time is 24 May 2016 09:16.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Product obituary.

I've never known an obituary to get so much coverage, multiple times.

1. Nik 2

Re: Product obituary.

Ahh, the never-ending joys of schadenfreude...

And isn't the sub-head wrong in referring to WinPhone sales rather than Win10 sales on all devices?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

It's dead

Dead as a dead thing

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
      Joke

Re: It's dead

Dead as Norwegian Blue parrot?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

The Norwegian Blue was just resting (after a prolonged squawk).

This on the other hand is dead.

2. arctic_haze

No, the Lumia line is not dead.

It's only pining for the Finland fjords.

9. inmypjs Silver badge

Arithmetically challenged?

90days vs 9 months?

The figures indicate android phones outsold windows phones by about 120:1 which makes it more like 2 days vs 9 months.

Am I missing something.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Arithmetically challenged?

More like lexically challenged, he means Windows 10 (all varieties) is on 300 million computers, and there's almost as many Android phones sold each quarter as that. It's clear from the first paragraph.

But more than that, since this doesn't cover Tablets and other Android devices, the total Android devices in ONE QUARTER exceeds the total Windows 10 installs IN 3 QUARTERS.

Given the way they try to force us to install Windows 10, even that 300 million is forced. Karma is a bitch Microsoft, your customers couldn't wait to jump ship.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: even that 300 million is forced

Going to be interesting watching them force install the missing 700mil in the next 2 months, to hit their 1billion running Win10 in a year boast ;)

10. Alan Denman

Others Incorporated

Win by a mile.

They ain't telling!

11. YY

Microsoft is finished

The only people I got spam from through their phone had Windows Phone 10. That security is so bad I would never advise this to anybody. Also, no Apps, so only fools would buy them.

As for desktops, I see people ditching Windows everywhere for ChromeOS, Apple and even Linux.

It is over for MS Windows and they are the ones to recognize this the first, for they already are building the Linux Kernel into Windows and porting their software to Linux so in a few years, they will bury Windows as we know it.

Ah well, evolution and survival of the fittest :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft is finished

Such bold statements backuped by ZERO actual facts.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Oh deep joy, the thought of Activation for 'new' Windows gives me the shudders. How will the monetise the 'new' windows? That is an intriguing prospect (not).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Spasticus Autisticus
      Linux

Saw one of my farmer customers today, he likes his WP phone but unless you're using Lookout and Exchange Server getting a calendar sync app on the phone looks a bit difficult. He'll be going Android soon.

3 new Linux users this week, all pissed off with the UI abortion that is Windows 10, not to mention the spying that further disgusted them when they saw what MS collected from 'their' systems. Little by little MS's dominance is waning, and not before time.

1. Bob Vistakin
        Happy

What a waste. Even though there ain't half been some clever bastards behind windows mobile, I don't think microsoft employees will find many reasons to be cheerful at its demise.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"when they saw what MS collected from 'their' systems. "

How did they see this data? And what exactly is MS collecting that, for example, Apple or Google aren't?

Do tell, some evidence would be nice, n'est ce pas?

1. Spasticus Autisticus

Bonjour mon ami AC

Pourquoi écrivez-vous comme AC, est-ce parce que vous êtes un shill fuckwit Microsoft?

Win10 - Privacy settings.

Once in Privacy, go to the General section and Turn off 'Send Microsoft info about how I write to help us improve typing and writing in the future.' While you’re there, examine the other options and consider if there’s anything else here that you may want to change.

Turn off all of the other settings there too - for what good it does, maybe OFF in Microsoft's world means ON now that the close window X means yes take over my computer with Win10

4. Ropewash
      Facepalm

UGH.

Much as I do love me some Linux, I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of it becoming a mono-culture. That's what was wrong in Windowsland in the first place. (Well, one of the things)

I'd prefer that MS sticks to their own kernel/filesystem/API's/whatever. Competition is great and even if it IS Microsoft they still do some good work. (Looking forward to DX12 vs Vulkan for one.) Too bad they tend to bury it behind walls of ineptitude.

Still not gonna use Win10 though. I have 7 and 8.1 and there's nothing wrong with either when they are used in the right place. Nothing that needs Win10 to fix it anyhow.

5. Captain Badmouth
      Holmes

"It is over for MS Windows and they are the ones to recognize this the first, for they already are building the Linux Kernel into Windows and porting their software to Linux so in a few years, they will bury Windows as we know it."

What's the odds that M$ will produce a fork of Linux and go their own "sweet" way and fuck up all the standards?

Just asking.

12. John Sanders
    FAIL

What do people say in situations like this...

Ah yes;

Good riddance!

I said this a long time ago, and I will say it again, MS threatened the carriers with Exchange and Skype, the carriers have killed MS Phone.

MS is a 800 pounds gorilla, the carriers; Godzilla, they fulminated them with their radioactive beam ray ray, then eat their charred remains as a snack.

Ballmer: "Skype is happening whether you like it or not"

Carriers: "Is that so..."

1. Gerhard Mack

Re: What do people say in situations like this...

They did annoy the carriers, but in the end the carriers wanted a third ecosystem to offset Google and Android's power.

The problem is that people don't just take what their carrier sells them anymore. In Spain they had a massive Lumina campaign backed by the carriers complete with FUD and discounts and a ton of Microsoft advertising money. It jumped the market share 10% but as soon as they stopped pushing it so hard the market share dropped like a rock.

Apple broke the carrier hold over the customer relationship and Android further took advantage of that but the carriers haven't adjusted to the new reality yet. Microsoft/Nokia never got used to that fact either when they refused to sell phones on emerging markets with features the carriers hate. (dual SIM etc)

13. asdf

great news for Microsoft

>WinPho has 0.7% market share

See they don't round down to zero (other nerdy rounding methods aside). Woot WP is more than a rounding error.

14. Richard Plinston

PCs still ship at a rate of 230m units a quarter

Follow the link and it has:

"""Shipments of PCs have sunk over the last five years ... from 343 million units in 2012 to an estimated 232 million units in 2016."""

That is only ~ 60m units per quarter.

15. Captain Badmouth
    Pirate

"Even the BBC thinks microsoft are assholes"

Here be an update me buckos :

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3074548/microsoft-windows/microsoft-has-been-conning-windows-users-for-two-months.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like