back to article UK plastic beats cash in 2021

Never mind mobile payments with a phone, debit cards are set to dominate the UK’s near future of shopping. Cash will finally be surpassed by debit cards as the most popular method of payment in 2021, according to a report from Payments UK. An estimated £14.5bn in debit card payments are expected in 2021 versus £13bn in cash …

1. armyknife

Titles are for toffs

This is shoddily written, please rewrite.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Titles are for toffs

agreed.

"but by 2025 coins and notes will be used by just 27 of payments"

I'm guessing missing a %.!

If I'm alive in 2025 I expect to personally make more than 27 cash payments

2. Fibbles

Re: Titles are for toffs

Is the reg just posting sub 100 word articles now or is the mobile site b0rked?

I've found myself coming here less and less since the editorial staff changed; I'll probably not bother at all if super short articles are now the norm.

2. Alister

Although there is an obvious decline in the use of cash, there will come a point below which the percentage of cash use is unlikely to fall, simply because there are still times when cash payments are the only available option.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> there are still times when cash payments are the only available option.

But since drugs, prostitution and racketeering are now officially included in the GDP figure, one presumes that these merchants will also be able to take card payments in future.

2. d3vy

When?

Serious question... I can't think of any time recently where I couldn't use my card... even the Gardner and window cleaner take card payments..

1. Alister

@d3vy

Well I don't know where you live, but round here, odd-job men certainly don't take card payments, and nor do market stalls, car-boot sales, the local chip shop, the thing at the petrol station that I use to pump my tyres up, and a number of the local shops will only accept card payments for goods over £10.00.

3. K
    Devil

I pay for 99% of my purchases with card... when I need cash, my partner pays!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cash is a...

pain in the ass. The only thing that's lacking, for me, from card transactions is an 'as required' update via text or whatever saying "You've spent £XXX today!" because sometimes I lose track because it's so easy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon