back to article Google: 'Here to stay on business cloud... but a long way to go'

Google is “very serious” about enterprise cloud – according to Google’s head of enterprise cloud. Diane Greene, Google senior vice president for enterprise business, is reported to have made the claim during a side-event at the firm’s annual I/O Conference in San Francisco, California. And, while she didn’t name names, Greene …

1. Chuunen Baka

Tie in products

Google lost out because they wanted you to use their private APIs with instant lock in. They're starting to do Docker now so maybe if they push that and undercut the opposition they might do ok.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vallley speak

" Serious about enterprise cloud". Not, "fully enterprise ready", or, "enterprise class", but, "we have a long way to go". So did HP Helion public cloud. Oops. It will take Google billions of dollars and years to clean up the mess they have made there before they can even be a contender beyond specialty use cases where they essentially buy the business with sweet contracts. And, um, the competition isn't exactly standing in cement, so the leaders will move forward even faster because they are, um, real. I feel sorry for Diane, in meetings she probably tries to speak a version of business dialect that few actually understand at Google and that has to be frustrating. Herding cats comes to mind. It will age her rapidly because for the last few years she could kind of do what she wanted and that has to be somewhat fun. This isn't that. Is there an office pool on how long she actually lasts at Google?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reg CommentTards have no idea what they are talking about

"Private API's" ??

"billions of dollars and years to clean up the mess..."??

Love freetards that have no idea what they are talking about. For some reason El Reg seems to have a lot of them.

Sincerely,

A CIO running a large IOT operation Happily on GCE

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reg CommentTards have no idea what they are talking about

Can't resist this one.

So, YOU are a CIO "running a large IOT operation" on GCE, eh?

1. Fuckin prove it.

2. I doubt it. How many CIO's with large implementations of anything stop by the Reg to point out our errant thinking and call us "commentards". Not many real ones I imagine.

3. As a CIO have you compared cloud offerings from multiple vendors? Like up close and personal? Like used all their interfaces and compared them? I have accounts on AWS, Azure, Digital Ocean, Alibaba, IBM, HP( oops), VMware, Google, Profit Bricks and have used Rackspace as well. While they all have their issues, Google's interface is near the bottom in terms of user experience(coherence), breadth of services and global infrastructure. Fixing all of that WILL cost billions and take years, dipshit.

4. Daggerchild Silver badge

Amazon: "If you don't design your Cloud apps to understand requests need to retry as they may 500 at any time, it's your fault."

Google: "We caused 500's at 1:34pm-1:37pm for 97 requests for 21 users in this region. We're sorry."

Google won't win like that.

5. boatsman
    Pint

revenue is not profit and has nothing to do with it.

amazon does NOT, I repeat, NOT make a reasonable profit, compared to their revenue.

they do (and have to) invest most of their earnings into staying ahead.

it does have, however, billions from investors. as long as these investors are happy with the shareprice, amazon will survive.

10 yrs ago they started at 34 USD, today they are at almost 700 USD (source: yahoo)

that share price is based on turnover (revenue) and gutfeeling.

what the balance is between the two, is anyone's guess...

1. DennisFaucher

Re: revenue is not profit and has nothing to do with it.

The NYT disagrees with you on AWS profitability. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/29/technology/amazon-q1-earnings.html?referer=

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like