back to article First ATM malware is back and badder than ever

Cybercriminals have retrofitted a strain of ATM malware first discovered in 2009 to create an even more potent threat. Skimer was the first malicious program to target ATMs*. Seven years later, Russian cybercriminals are reusing the malware – but both the crooks and the program have evolved, to pose an even more potent threat …

1. Dadmin
    FAIL

Diebold ATMs are the least secure

And these douchebags want to proved "voting machines" in addition to their malware-laden ATMs? No thanks, I'll do that all with paper and punches. Live by embedded XP, die by embedded XP.

1. Omar Smith

Re: Diebold ATMs are the least secure

ATM

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Diebold ATMs are the least secure

Security is the least of the problems with Diebold voting machines. It is more the lack of any audit trail to allow recounts and reduce the ability to commit fraud (not just Diebold, but any electronic only voting machine suffers from this)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Meh...

Call me again when they've got Doom running on the damn thing...

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Looks like it's time to invest in an embedded Linux solution

Seems like the banks are going to have to man up and lay down some money to get a proper, secure solution in place.

Then again, if the crooks can get access to the internal network, it's game over anyway.

Still, it seems high time that banks up their security along with the rest of us.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Looks like it's time to invest in an embedded Linux solution

The question is how they getting the malware installed? Even a properly set Winbloat system should be using user accounts not admin accounts.

1. mythicalduck

Re: Looks like it's time to invest in an embedded Linux solution

Even a properly set Winbloat system should be using user accounts not admin accounts

Didn't think Embedded XP had any concepts of "user", least of all User and Admin accounts.

What I'm surprised at is that the ATM system isn't CRC/MD5 checked and/or reimaged upon receipt. Kind of like when I buy a new laptop, I'll wipe the disk and install from a known-good CD/DVD

4. cisadmin

Bizarre demonstration, Kapersky

What is with that video...?

5. Privatelyjeff

They should run on some *nix based OS that has only read only memory and all local records (if there has to be one) are saved to a data cassette that only runs in one direction so nothing can be read from it.

6. gypsythief

"...which has certain records on the magnetic strip. After reading the records... ...and if the criminal inserts the right session key from the pin pad... ...such as dispensing money (40 bills from the specified cassette)..."

Any one know what the certain records or right session key are? I'd like to test a few ATM's around my town.

For, y'know, research purposes.

7. Oh Homer
    Linux

Linux probably wouldn't help, sadly

The weak link here is allegedly the bank's "internal network", which typically means employees are being phished.

Linux security might be good, but no software can defend against social engineering.

8. Number6

OS/2 FTW

Bring back the old OS/2 ATMs. They were pretty reliable in their day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OS/2 FTW

There's still one at the top of my road ( in England ).

I saw the boot screen last summer.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OS/2 FTW

or stupididty

9. Jim Cosser

Whitelisting?

Application whitelisting seems like a no brainer here. These things must be pretty static so well suited to that kind of control.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Where do I apply?

Looks like these malware types are doing some interesting, creative and sophisticated work. Are they hiring? Whats the pay and benefits like?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like