back to article Linus Torvalds releases Linux 4.6

Linus Torvalds has loosed version 4.6 of the Linux kernel on the waiting world. “It's just as well I didn't cut the rc cycle short, since the last week ended up getting a few more fixes than expected,” wrote the Linux overlord. “Since rc7, there's been small noise all over, with driver fixes being the bulk of it, but there is …

1. AlexS
    Mushroom

Installed... States I should upgrade to Windows 10.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

YOU ARE A VERY BAD HUMAN

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
        Joke

Human? I think not.

Simon, meet Tay 2.0. Tay 2.0, go fuck yourself, Nazi princess.

2. Fibbles

Instructions unclear. Deleted root file system.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Would you like a game of Global Thermonuclear War ?

2. Schultz
    Boffin

Driving me mad ...

when those Pi users drive around just for the hell of it. They should stop polluting and focus on the drivers.

("Raspberry Pi users may appreciate new drives ..." - and the Tips and corrections doesn't do anything in my browser)

1. Brian Miller
      Joke

Re: Driving me mad ...

If the Cars were Moving in Stereo, why can't Pi users drive in 3D?

1. Chemical Bob

"why can't Pi users drive in 3D?"

Basic geometry, thats why. 3D does not equal pi

C/D = pi

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

fixing it now.

3. WebDev

Noise?

Hi all – Can someone clarify what Linus is saying about noise? At first I thought he meant that the bug fixes addressed noise issues, maybe buzzing in audio drivers or something. That might be because I was just reading about blind testing of expensive USB DACs and whether people can hear any difference. What does Linus mean by noise?

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Noise?

He is probably reading comments like yours.

2. Bronek Kozicki

Noise usually refers to a bunch of apparently (and quite possibly, actually) unrelated small commits which fix a thing here, and there, and there. When you read the commit log, it just looks like "noise".

3. Tom 38

A quiet time for a version control system means that there have been few/no commits. Noise is the opposite of quiet.

4. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Um , I think its metaphorical noise , Webdev. , ie small issues / bug reports / etc

" but there is minor noise all over (perf tooling, networking, filesystems, documentation, some small arch fixes.)”"

5. Steve Graham

bugs

A few months ago, I tried to build in the processor microcode update in the kernel. (Look, it's my kernel; I can if I want.) The code was there, and had been for many versions back, but I couldn't get it to work.

Then, in a submission to the kernel mailing list, a developer posted some very substantial patches, which should, apparently, make the functionality operate as expected. They should be in 4.6 -- I haven't yet checked the release notes.

The thing is, this was code in many "stable" kernel releases prior which can't ever have been tested: it was just broken. It's made me realise that I've had a somewhat rosy view of kernel quality control. After all, there are about 40,000 source files. Linus checks every change.

6. Tom 7

RaspberryPi 3D speedups nom nom!

The year of the RaspberryPi desktop is fast approaching!

7. azaks

linux has no noise

no bugs - big, medium or small. It is simply perfect in every way.

My nan recompiles her kernel every day whilst eating pudding and rocking bingo - just to show how l33t she is. She's a pretty big deal around the nursing home you know. Good 'ol nan...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What happens when Linus dies?

As a linux knowlessman I have little concrete understanding of the development/support community around the heart of linux and its ilk. This one chap seems rather crucial - I know who he is - but we are all mortal. What's the idea for futureproofing this setup?

Genuine question, but AC in case it violates allowable groupthink.

9. Tim Jenkins

Re: What happens when Linus dies?

"Finn," Sally said, then tilted the flask and swallowed, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, "you gotta be crazy. . . ."

"I should be so lucky. A rig like this, I'm pushing it to have a little imagination, let alone crazy."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like