back to article Lloyds online banking goes TITSUP*

Customers of Lloyds have been unable to access online banking since 10am this morning, Website monitoring site DownDetector received more than 1,500 reports since 10:05 this morning. The Lloyds Banking website currently says: "An error occurred while processing your request." Lloyds told users on Twitter: "We're aware of an …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we have some calm and sensible reporting by blaming it on Russia?

I find it inconceivable that this isn't linked to Russia's failure to win Eurovision.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thinking about it

" In January HSBC faced a sustained denial of service attack."

Their IT has been under a sustained denial of service attack for years. Ever since they started outsourcing their IT...

1. Chris Jasper

Re: Thinking about it

Well thats about to get a whole lot worse then

2. M7S

Re: Thinking about it

Just to clarify, is that better expressed as "users (staff) and customers have been under a sustained denial of IT services" since outsourcing?

3. Richy Freeway

Main Website is Down.

But this works fine

https://secure.lloydsbank.co.uk

1. insane_hound

Re: Main Website is Down.

No idea if that link is genuine.... but suggesting people use a link to online banking from a forum is encouraging very dubious security practise.

1. Richy Freeway

Due diligence is someone else's problem.

It's the address I have bookmarked for Lloyds, just sharing the wealth. (no pun intended)

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

I would be "disappointed" if *.lloydsbank.co.uk was not legit, but I share your concern at the principle of the thing.

4. davidp231

TITSUP? More like SNAFUBAR

5. Tom 7

Uh! Oh! TSB next?

Same software.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Halifax also affected I understand

7. VinceH
    Facepalm

"Very frustrated. Need to produce 3 months of statements in the next hour and website is down. Ridiculous and unnaceptable."

Well that's your own stupid fault, then. If you've opted not to receive paper bank statements, then at the very least you should log-in and download your bank statement each month so that you have a copy stored locally (and included in your back-ups). If you did that, then at worst you might have not been able to get *one* month's statements if the statements were due amid the outage.

8. paulf
    Headmaster

This article seems to be all over the place:

"Customers of Lloyds have been unable to access online banking since 10am this morning,"

"One user said: "Bit hit & miss @ the moment. Tried logging in & failed, opened a second window/tab & loged in with no problem - strange to say the least.""

"Update: As of this afternoon, the issues do not appear to be resolved. [...] Online banking is not affected and customers can still access via:"

Well, I'm thoroughly confused. Perhaps we can start with "What broke and is it fixed yet?". Perhaps then we can consider tautologies like "10am this morning".

Icon -> The pic at the top of the article is probably more appropriate.

9. Stevie

Bah!

"According to a study by by software firm CAST, the UK is particularly vulnerable to banking outages due to the large amounts of legacy code supporting banking applications"

Translation: Lame-ass CS graduates can't do easy-as-chips Cobol for toffee.

Ya-boo-sux 8oP

10. cantankerous swineherd

in other news, HSBC will shortly be following them.

1. Millsey

I bloody hope not, for various reasons

11. CustardGannet
    Flame

Colour me unsympathetic

"Need to produce 3 months of statements in the next hour and website is down. Ridiculous and unnac[c]eptable."

^ THIS is what I hate about customers. How DARE systems ever fail ?

Internal combustion engines have been around for 100+ years and still fail on a regular basis, but people accept that and understand why engines are not 100% reliable.

One website fails for a few hours, and they're going mad because they've left some life-crucial task (probably involving being fined £1000s by HMRC) until the last 60 minutes.

'Tards.

</rant>

12. kirbyhowarth

Cookies galore

Private browse will work, also if you delete Lloyds bank cookies then that should do the trick as well. Happy Banking :)

13. jake Silver badge

"10am this morning"?

As opposed to 10am this evening?

14. Captain Badmouth
    FAIL

How strange

We were only recently commenting, in the security section, in this thread :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/13/americans_cutting_back_on_online_activity_over_security_and_privacy_fears/

about how shitty their log-on page is, together with that of Halifax.

15. DBAosaurus
    IT Angle

Well, I've been saying this would happen all along.

Once you work on Lloyds Banking Group's internal systems, this news will come as no surprise. Any bank capable of describing layoffs, offshoring and outsourcing as 'strategic replatforming to better align with business towers' deserves what it gets. Unfortunately its customers don't.

16. anniemouse

What was the operating system and database sys?

i am guessing microjunk

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like