back to article Gartner waves for everyone to join its hyperconverged bandwagon

Gartner is telling its enterprise IT followers that hyper-converged systems are okay to use, and set to develop into composable micro-services infrastructures by 2020. The report, entitled, "Prepare for the Next Phase of Hyperconvergence," defines a hyper-converhed infrastructure system (HCIS) as a platform offering shared …

1. BurnT'offering

Ah Gartner

I have fond memories of them preaching, "You must embrace creative destruction". Turns out that didn't mean burning the office down

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah Gartner

Hyper means a long way beyond, not just very. So hyper-convergence means that everything has converged and is now expanding rapidly, but on the other side.

What are they going to call it in 2036 when things still haven't come together? Ultrahyperconvergence? Or just drop the "r convergence", and be left with "Hype"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hyper-hype

1. Roq D. Kasba

I hate to self-reference, but it seems relevant again...

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2016/05/06/what_skills_for_devops/#c_2857832

If the link fails to work, it's "I feel like Charlie Brown listening to his teacher whenever I read this stuff."

1. chivo243 Silver badge

@Roq D. Kasba

Waaah waah wohm wohit woom...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Gartner lost all credibility years ago .. sort of like the boy who cried wolf.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Micro-services are now the latest hype topic

So when can we expect to start being pelted with microservices "articles" about events and seminars?

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Micro-services are now the latest hype topic

Maybe "Converging Continuous Hyperservices in an Agile DevOps Environment"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Maybe "Converging Continuous Hyperservices in an Agile DevOps Environment"?"

If you type that in a small enough font it might collapse into a very tiny black hole.

1. BurnT'offering

That probably happens around the same time as yet another Gartner press release causes one to disappear up one's own ennui, chuck in IT and become something sensible, like a dustman.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why yes, and multi-syllabic words strung together will most definitely make your business more profitable. We don't just see the future, we help create it .. for a price you know. Mostly, by the letter.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Join us for a Micro-services Lunch & learn to discover the transformational aspects of how XXXX is going to elevate your optimization of stratification of the minimization of the operationalization value. Next Tuesday at some mucky muck restaurant - We're raffling off a Drone!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Definitely. Like cloud, I am already tired of hearing about microservices and I don't even know what people are talking about yet.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

Oh yeah?

Like this is going to be in NO WAY affected by the upcoming mega bubble pop of the cheap money shitters WHICH NOBODY COULD HAVE FORESEEN.

4. a_yank_lurker

Eh?

A new way to fleece the PHBs and create anxiety for the staff. More like hyper-stupidity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

Do you work at the same place as me, perchance?

Here comes another bandwagon, and you can bet your arse that damagement will be hopping aboard whilst everyone else gets run over by it.

Anon, because.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud?

Where is the "make all this stuff Amazon or Microsoft's problem" bubble on this chart?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking for an A round

I have this new startup concept. Machine learning to determine industry trends paired with an accounts receivable data data mining algorith to determine who is paying me. Match the two up, and whala... a "magic quadrant". You may think that this is old hat and the likes of Gartner and IDC hav it covered but ... my startup would be way more efficient without the overpaid parasite headcount ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like